Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2018, 1:07 pm

Sea Breeze wrote:
Do a hobby where you will be around other people. In martial arts especially like jiu-jitsu there is alot of interacting with people that comes along with it.

I'm very quiet in social groups. I think i need to solve this first. But I don't know how to solve shyness. :(

techlife95
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2018, 10:09 am

OP I tend to social isolate in my room home life :( I have ASD all my life and I am a introvert with autism :(

Durake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

I can say my parents pushed me a lot of the times, but in recent years it's been me pushing myself into uncomfortable situations knowing the outcome would be very beneficial.

With me, I talk on radios all the time and have conversations with people I've never seen. They have things every month called "Eyeball QSOs" and a "QSO" is a conversation on the radio, and putting the word eyeball in the mix would mean a in person, conversation. So we have those every month and that gives you the opportunity to meet with people you talk to on the radio and so you can get a feel for how they look and such.

I think for me that is a very comfortable approach. Although I'm not sure what type of radio stuff y'all have in Turkey, much less it would require lots of studying and learning to get a license so prolly not worth it.

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." - Collin Powell

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 3:31 pm

The 'Social Skills and Making Friends Forum' discussion thread by author/speaker Daniel Wendler may be helpful:

Daniel Wendler - Improve Your Social Skills:
viewtopic.php?t=357001

frogfireFantasy
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2018, 4:09 pm

Try looking for events in your area that are similar to your interests! Then, you already know you can talk about one thing with them! Also, don't be afraid to ask people what kind of stuff they like! If I know one thing about social interaction, is most people love to talk about what's been going on in their life. Good luck btw! I hope you find a super awesome friend group soon!! !! ! :heart: :heart:

BitterCoffee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

You can always get a pet like a dog or cat. They’ll love you just for feeding and playing with them. Scientific studies also find that pets improve their owners mental and physical health.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 7:58 pm

Dance! There are classes and gatherings and there are NEVER enough men. If you learn to dance well, you will never lack for partners. I am talking about partner dancing, waltzes, swing, tango. There are guidelines and rules and specific etiquette for these partner dances. No need to guess. It is all figured out for you. Or you can do English Country Dancing or Contra dancing or Morris dancing.

Also, I think the time in life when young people are moving from living with family to going out into the wide world is a difficult one for most people and for aspies it is even more difficult. The structure of school keeps "friends" in touch. That falls away when you leave high school, or the English equivalent. But you will learn and you will find friends.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2018, 4:53 am

BitterCoffee wrote:
You can always get a pet like a dog or cat. They’ll love you just for feeding and playing with them. Scientific studies also find that pets improve their owners mental and physical health.

I already have a pet but it is always lazy and sleepy. It attacks me when I'm trying to play with my cat, not friendly.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2018, 4:55 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
The 'Social Skills and Making Friends Forum' discussion thread by author/speaker Daniel Wendler may be helpful:

Daniel Wendler - Improve Your Social Skills:
viewtopic.php?t=357001

Thanks. I'll look at this

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2018, 4:58 am

blazingstar wrote:
Dance! There are classes and gatherings and there are NEVER enough men. If you learn to dance well, you will never lack for partners. I am talking about partner dancing, waltzes, swing, tango. There are guidelines and rules and specific etiquette for these partner dances. No need to guess. It is all figured out for you. Or you can do English Country Dancing or Contra dancing or Morris dancing.

Also, I think the time in life when young people are moving from living with family to going out into the wide world is a difficult one for most people and for aspies it is even more difficult. The structure of school keeps "friends" in touch. That falls away when you leave high school, or the English equivalent. But you will learn and you will find friends.

To be honest I don't like physical activities like dancing. Because I fail at doing these things. Because of autism maybe. And I'll need to be more fit :(

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2018, 5:02 am

frogfireFantasy wrote:
Try looking for events in your area that are similar to your interests! Then, you already know you can talk about one thing with them! Also, don't be afraid to ask people what kind of stuff they like! If I know one thing about social interaction, is most people love to talk about what's been going on in their life. Good luck btw! I hope you find a super awesome friend group soon!! ! ! ! :heart: :heart:

Thanks. Probably I'll try to be more social when I get to university. Because I'm already late. My peers are either working or studying.