Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:34 pm

KathyKitty wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I have some problems with willpower - who doesn't? - but I never have touched and never will touch drugs, and I don't see how anybody else can feel otherwise. Why on Earth would anyone WANT to fry his brain?

Pain. Any questions?

I can't believe that there are no painkillers in existence which don't also damage one's brain.

Quote:

You obviously never had a stepfather who was a crackhead.

I've never had a stepfather at all, but my family isn't unfamiliar with drug abuse. At any rate, it's all rather unimportant which drugs are the worst; they're all a disaster for the individual and for society.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
KathyKitty wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
I have some problems with willpower - who doesn't? - but I never have touched and never will touch drugs, and I don't see how anybody else can feel otherwise. Why on Earth would anyone WANT to fry his brain?

Pain. Any questions?

I can't believe that there are no painkillers in existence which don't also damage one's brain.

Quote:

I've never had a stepfather at all, but my family isn't unfamiliar with drug abuse. At any rate, it's all rather unimportant which drugs are the worst; they're all a disaster for the individual and for society.

I strongly disagree. Drugs like tobacco and marijuana can't possibly compare to things like crack cocaine and meth.

Not that I would ever use any of them, but I am at least open minded enough to know that not all drugs are equal. People who smoke cannabis don't get violent and paranoid or kill people for drug money.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:49 pm

Although legal, tobacco is an insidiously awful substance when smoked habitually. I've heard it said that nicotine is as addictive if not more addictive than heroin. It results in most users dying a very slow and increasingly debilitating death no to mention the damage it does to others via second hand smoke.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
KathyKitty wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Pain. Any questions?

Quote:

I strongly disagree. Drugs like tobacco and marijuana can't possibly compare to things like crack cocaine and meth.

Not that I would ever use any of them, but I am at least open minded enough to know that not all drugs are equal. People who smoke cannabis don't get violent and paranoid or kill people for drug money.

I acknowledge that some drugs are worse than others, though all ILLEGAL drugs (and admittedly some legal ones) cause almost exclusively harm.

The second paragraph of your post is incredibly naive - cannabis abuse is one of the prime causes of schizophrenia and I used to know personally a man who stole cars to fund a several hundred pound a week cannabis habit.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
KathyKitty wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Pain. Any questions?

Quote:

I acknowledge that some drugs are worse than others, though all ILLEGAL drugs (and admittedly some legal ones) cause almost exclusively harm.

The second paragraph of your post is incredibly naive - cannabis abuse is one of the prime causes of schizophrenia and I used to know personally a man who stole cars to fund a several hundred pound a week cannabis habit.

Are you sure it was the cannabis that made him do that or maybe just the fact that he was schizophrenic?

I have Bipolar Disorder and I never did drugs but I used to steal things too. Ever hear of kleptomania? He might have suffered the same thing as a result of his schizophrenia.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:06 pm

And I seriously doubt that people turn schizophrenic because of cannabis they most likely use it to self-medicate for their symptoms just like they do other drugs. People with a mental illness like Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia are prone to drug abuse because of the internal torment they feel, it ain't the drugs that turn them crazy it just makes their symptoms worse.

salowevision
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

There actually is some literature correlating THC with schizophrenia. I haven’t read up on it but I had a psychologist that discouraged me from smoking because of how potent it is these days. Most people swear it helps them but when I smoke it amps my anxiety up full blast and ironically makes me feel like I might as well be schizophrenic...

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:19 pm

His criminal activities were directly engaged in to fund a cannabis addiction. I know of at least a few other people whose cannabis use also drove them to criminality.

The mean onset of schizophrenia is something like twenty-five; people start abusing cannabis, in general, much earlier, so your explanation cannot be generally valid.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

salowevision wrote:
There actually is some literature correlating THC with schizophrenia. I haven’t read up on it but I had a psychologist that discouraged me from smoking because of how potent it is these days. Most people swear it helps them but when I smoke it amps my anxiety up full blast and ironically makes me feel like I might as well be schizophrenic...

I'm sure it does. But I don't believe for a moment that it causes schizophrenia. If anything it might make the symptoms worse.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
His criminal activities were directly engaged in to fund a cannabis addiction. I know of at least a few other people whose cannabis use also drove them to criminality.

The mean onset of schizophrenia is something like twenty-five; people start abusing cannabis, in general, much earlier, so your explanation cannot be generally valid.

Why don't you show me some actual documented proof of this?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:40 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Just out of hand:

Quote:
Smoking a single joint of cannabis raises the risk of schizophrenia by more than 40%, reported the Daily Mail . Cannabis “could be to blame for one in seven cases of schizophrenia and other life-shattering mental illness,” it said.

The Times suggested that heavy users of cannabis “are more than twice as likely to suffer mental illness”. The stories were based on a study of the pooled results of several multinational studies that show a consistent link between cannabis use and psychotic illness. Reports say that this sheds new light on the need to issue warnings to people about the risks of smoking illicit drugs and also raises questions about the classification of the drug that is currently under debated.

The original research seems to have been well conducted and adds weight to the concern over the harmful effects of cannabis. However this study cannot prove that cannabis is a cause of psychosis or mental illness. However, because it is a review of many studies showing similar effects, it adds to the weight of evidence suggesting a link.

Where did the story come from?
The study was conducted by Theresa Moore, Stanley Zammit and colleagues from the departments of psychiatry and psychology in the universities of Cardiff, Bristol, Cambridge, and Imperial College, London. The research was funded by the Department of Health in the UK and was published in the peer-reviewed journal The Lancet .

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/c ... psychosis/

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:42 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Just out of hand:

Quote:
Smoking a single joint of cannabis raises the risk of schizophrenia by more than 40%, reported the Daily Mail . Cannabis “could be to blame for one in seven cases of schizophrenia and other life-shattering mental illness,” it said.

The Times suggested that heavy users of cannabis “are more than twice as likely to suffer mental illness”. The stories were based on a study of the pooled results of several multinational studies that show a consistent link between cannabis use and psychotic illness. Reports say that this sheds new light on the need to issue warnings to people about the risks of smoking illicit drugs and also raises questions about the classification of the drug that is currently under debated.

The original research seems to have been well conducted and adds weight to the concern over the harmful effects of cannabis. However this study cannot prove that cannabis is a cause of psychosis or mental illness. However, because it is a review of many studies showing similar effects, it adds to the weight of evidence suggesting a link.

Where did the story come from?
The study was conducted by Theresa Moore, Stanley Zammit and colleagues from the departments of psychiatry and psychology in the universities of Cardiff, Bristol, Cambridge, and Imperial College, London. The research was funded by the Department of Health in the UK and was published in the peer-reviewed journal The Lancet .

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/c ... psychosis/

Thanks. Now I agree that you might be right.

See? It's so much easier to win an arguement when you have actual facts to back up your claim. Maybe I'll start trying that too so I'll quit sounding like an idiot. :mrgreen: