Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 4:56 pm

Quote:
I notice with these threads either they tend to end up mostly yes or mostly no, often the same people even giving different answers. And of course always at least someone who thinks that those who wouldn't cure autism are just really high functioning.

I agree with this, even though I'm one of those same people who answer with the same answer ("yes I would cure my AS"), but give different explanations each time. :lol:

I guess I just use these threads to rant about being held back by this cursed disorder.

:lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

No

because even with a Neurotypicals better ability to adapt to change such a radical change at this late stage of my life would be too much to handle.

because I do not want to enable solving issues with elimination that is best dealt with by better acceptance, therapies, supports etc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:35 pm

If the cure is temporary, yes. :lol: And make a double life out of it maybe.

For an aspie, I'm rather fulfilled for most part. I just wanna know how NTs sense things, 'know' things, etc. All for learning and experience's sakes.

I imagine that the NTs' worlds are filtered, densensitized, and 'dark' in a sense of sensing more negative or even malicious things than positives -- and is likely just in denial of whatever they're sensing and roll with the whole thing.
And, ARE desensitized to said 'malice', 'negativity' and 'darkness'...

If the cure is permanent, for myself, no.
I already been in a state of having no issues or whatsoever. I aim for that state, because I aim to 'master' *my* Autism than just giving up on it.
And 'mastering autism' includes getting rid of all comorbids and issues -- I wouldn't need a 'cure' or an 'accommodation' until I'm too old to be actually be capable.

If the cure is for every autistics -- first and foremost would be optional. But how would that be a choice if a parent would take it to their child in a heartbeat?

If not, then... :twisted: Let's just say I'm unsympathetic about this.
Go ahead! Get rid of autism. Get social learning and awareness, whatever allistics have that autistics don't.
But still suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, OCD, sensory intolerance, intellectual and learning disabilities, aphasia, ADHD, bipolar, abuse, addiction, harassment, etc. Because people are so hell bent blaming them all in autism alone.

The only hope I have is, in the future, human brains can 'handle' autism without becoming a disability or a burden -- that, and without the need for accommodation, let alone a cure.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 11:58 pm

I wouldn't want to be cured. Who wants to be normal? Normal is boring.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2018, 8:43 am

I was thinking of this the other day.

As I am right now, I can't imagine being able to do everything that I can't now. It would be such a tremendous change for that that I just can't fathom it at all.

But then, if I did cure my problems, it would probably be amazing.

But (another but!) I have a memory that doesn't let me forgot non-sensical things in my past. I would rather forget the past and move on in my new life.

But do I want to do that? Now at my age? No way! That would just too stressful for me!

Just leave me be!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 9:54 am

I'm with Bea on all counts. I would like to get rid of anxiety and improve my level of function beyond my current level, which has improved from nearly nothing just six short years ago. I would like to be more confident and be able to achieve the goals I set for myself. I remember names well, but faces are a problem for me. I don't have severe face blindness, but I have embarrassed myself on a couple of occasions by making mistakes with facial recognition.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:52 pm

I solid NO.

Think about it. Most people just want to 'cure' the bad parts of their Autism...but they want to be able to keep their good parts! Thats not reasonable. We shouldnt be able to decide what flaws we do or do not have! Humans are not meant to be perfect any more than any other living creature on this planet. And if we could cure Autism...than we could cure anything else too. And sure that sounds good in theory-a world without disease-but it has way too many negative side effects!

(The scary thing is...we're very close to being able to do so. If Autism gene mutations were simpler than we actually could theoretically 'cure' it. Or at least, prevent kids from being able to be born with the potential for it)

I know it sounds cruel of me to say it, but I think we should just let nature run its course and allow babies to be born as they were meant to be born. Messing with genes is getting way to close to a line I dont think humanity is ready to cross.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2018, 5:59 pm

I have been living with this for so long, it would be like loosing an integral part of myself. My siblings are NTs and if I were like them I think that I would jump off a bridge!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

If I could take low functioning autistics and turn them into high functioning autistics I would.

My focus at the moment is on Asperger's Syndrome (now called High Functioning Autism). I would like to take away much of the pain and bewilderment from Aspies and help them gain a greater measure of control over their lives. This is the focus of my next book "Asperger’s Syndrome – The Path Forward: Secondary Causes and Treatment Methodology" Hopefully I will have that out early in 2019.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2018, 3:06 pm

Because of my autism i will never be successfull in life. No i am not even able to live financially independent.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm

I seem to no longer have, or never have had in the first place, a lot of the good parts of autism, just the negative ones, really, and it absolutely is a disability for me, so yes, I would cure mine. I wouldn't have the awful sensory issues that are the main reason I'm not a marine biologist (major issues with cold temperatures and the transition from dry to wet - I hate even gradually getting into the shower, I don't think I could force myself to just jump right into the ocean), I'd be able to speak all the time (and that would mean that I also wouldn't have to deal with people not believing that I can't always since sometimes I can, which is just as frustrating as the not-being-able-to-speak part), I'd probably be able to get a decent, full-time job, I might actually have friends... and that's just what I can think of right now, probably there are other benefits that aren't occurring to me at the moment.

I wish I at least had some sort of benefit from being on the autism spectrum (aside from my service dog, who wouldn't be with me if I wasn't, since he's from a program that specifically trains dogs for people with autism). When I was younger, I had the stereotypical Aspie memory, but over a decade of depression and several months of ECT treatment seem to have permanently eliminated that. I wish I could at least have a useful special interest, but, well, being obsessed with Pokemon and Hellraiser/Cenobites aren't going to get me anywhere.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2018, 3:52 pm

And i will never have a normal life. I am constantly suicidal.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 4:17 pm

Most people wouldn't. I once made a poll for this:
viewtopic.php?t=368974

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2018, 4:21 pm

But why? Autism is literally ruining our lifes.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

Fos11 wrote:
But why? Autism is literally ruining our lifes.

Sure it is hard and disabling, but it is also wired into our brains and genetics. Meaning, it literally is us and at least to me, losing myself is worse than not gaining the skills I don't have.
And your main problem seems to be really severe depression, it is important to separated the co morbids from autism when looking at autism.
Autism, by itself, cannot make anyone want to kill themselves.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 4:42 pm

Ten years or so ago I wouldn't have wanted to be cured because I was very happy and everything bad that had ever happened all seemed worth it, but that period of being content now seems like it happened to somebody else, I'm back to feeling like I did before and I feel trapped behind Aspie prison bars.