Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 7:29 pm

But that is what I do. I tend to try to offer rational solutions to emotional problems. Perhaps I have been neglecting being more empathic than solution oriented.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

blazingstar wrote:
But that is what I do. I tend to try to offer rational solutions to emotional problems. Perhaps I have been neglecting being more empathic than solution oriented.

Well it's all a matter of opinion really. I don't even know if what I'm saying is right. It depends. I know in some situations when I tell people how awful I feel emotionally (I mean offline, not on WrongPlanet) that it upsets me when they give me logical advice, but on the other hand, there are situations like when I would contact a social worker and I would want practical help.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 8:16 pm

fifasy wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Well it's all a matter of opinion really. I don't even know if what I'm saying is right. It depends. I know in some situations when I tell people how awful I feel emotionally (I mean offline, not on WrongPlanet) that it upsets me when they give me logical advice, but on the other hand, there are situations like when I would contact a social worker and I would want practical help.

I can see that. If someone right in front of you (editorially) is emotional, it is probably better to give them a hug and a listening ear. I rarely get that emotionally upset these days, but in earlier years I was a wreck. And you are right, if someone offered solutions to the problem, I felt they were uncaring. I really just wanted someone to listen to me and comfort me.

Sometimes it is more difficult to discern in a post. Especially as an aspie, trying to read the cues. If I ever offend you or any poster, it is never intentional.

Back to the topic, I used to be highly emotional and my behavior was largely ruled (and rather poorly) by tempestuous emotions. I still have emotions, but have learned they don't have to rule me or "make" me do things.

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2018, 1:28 am

I know I have Alexithymia so my emotions go unnoticed until they are at the extremes.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 4:48 am

The way other people have random outbursts became one of my many reasons for developing social anxiety. In any social situation (life, neighbors, work, school, everything excluding being at home) people turn on me for saying the wrong thing. They get severely aggressive or just flat out angry. Over time, I've become too careful and said nothing, and my quietness seems to anger them even more.

Of course the other part of that was that I was, and still am, incapable of understanding hostile jokes because they don't seem to have a purpose and often aren't humorous. I don't understand what breaking the ice or endearment mean either, in relation to hostile joking.