Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm

I too am starting the journey of being officially assessed. I had a rough childhood, but had put it behind me (so I thought.) Then two of my children were diagnosed with ASD. As I researched autism, I saw me as a child. My mother confirms my memories, and my wife also suspects. An official diagnosis would be of little benefit to me as I am currently very high functioning, but there are growing cracks in my mask. It would however satisfy an insatiable curiosity about myself. I have acquired copies of my medical records from 1986-1987. These records contain observations that would have met the diagnostic criteria for autism in the DSM III-R. I recall exhibiting more traits than were observed. The report says that there is no information on my early development, only that my mother reported that I was always a problem. I find this odd, as my mother clearly recalls my delayed speech, spinning, screeching, toe walking, etc. She has never been shy about sharing things of this nature. I have read of a "lost generation" that slipped through the cracks, and wonder if I am one of them.

AQ 42