Are most people on the Autistic spectrum quick learners?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 7:37 pm

There was no measurement of learning speed

Even when I took a IQ test, to diagnose learning difference, the test did not involve "learning" anything per se

Having said that I, feel like I learn slowly

Especially the older I get

bhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm

If its an interest of mine i am a very quick learner, however, if its something that my heart isnt in, my brain barely absorbs anything. Hence i am now full of pretty useless information...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:32 am

Quick learner for cognitive skills. But slow when it comes to physical skills like catching a ball. But I can now catch a ball.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:34 am

It's mostly "motivation" for me.

I can't learn how to fix a leaky faucet by watching a YouTube video. I have to have someone do "hands-on" training with me. I can't see a picture of something, and have that something help me put together a cabinet. Forget about blueprints! No way!

I learn through reading, and through "hands-on" training.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:52 am

The aikido instructor had the nerve to ask for me, if I had a high school diploma and knew what a ninety degree angle was

It's weird because he acted like it was a reasonable question

He acted like I was intellectually challenged s**t

That was over ten years ago and I still have not gotten over it

It's emotionally disturbing because he is a structural engineer and I flunked structural engineering. Fourth year

Plenty of precious lil "people" have had the nerve to tell me that I was "smart" or "stupid". Judgmental and manipulative. But none of them tried to make me learn something. None of them wasted as much time and energy , one on one, ratio as, Warren s**t.

But I told him that I don't know what a ninety degree angle is and no high school diploma

It's because he would not have believed it anyways

He could have told me that I was "lying"

f**k mister redelings

:wink: :roll:

Official transcript :roll:

:mrgreen:

But the flip side, :heart: . The other aikido instructor had the nerve to tell me, over and over, that I was not paying attention

Effort usually proportional to outcome

Efficiency not taken into account s**t

After I told Warren that I don't have a high school diploma or know what a ninety degree angle was, nobody had the nerve to tell me that I was not paying attention s**t

There is something wrong with everything

So why do anything?

f**k mister redelings

:mrgreen:

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:08 am

I think that what some people perceive as slow learning in aspies
is in some a misunderstanding of the way that people with Asperger Syndrome approach learning.

People with Asperger Syndrome are often logical and interpret things literally, and because this is the way that the asperger syndrome sufferers minds work, this can affect how a person approaches a task.

I also note that quiet a few of us aspies also have problems with organising, which also can have an impact on the learning approach.

One reason why some people may perceive us aspies as being slow learners, is that when given a task we often like to collect all the information available on the subject, so we can analyse that info and then make our own formula to work with that information.

This is a much more comprehensive approach to learning than how NT people will normally approach the same task.
NT people will usually approach the same task by looking for short cuts and the quickest way to achieve the task, which superficially makes people think they are super quick at learning and a top performer.

However, if aspies are left to work on their project until they have perfected the results, the aspies can often achieve a deeper understanding of the subject and thus better and more consistent overall results.

Aspies are also renown for their rote memory, which, on subjects of interest can give them a distinct advantage over NTs.

I would imagine that getting some of the best rote memory aspies to go on to mastermind would be fascinating.
Rain man all over again

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 10:21 am

I learned to read and write at a very young age but I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was maybe 9 years old.

I couldn't figure out how to see things from other people's perspective, so I'd get confused when they showed me how to tie the laces. Or the difference between left and right.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 11:16 am

Autism overlap with, nonverbal learning disability

Visual spatial learning disability

Theory of multiple intelligence

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 12:01 pm

I am a pattern learner. So until I "get" the pattern, I am abysmal on that subject. Totally lost.

If the new piece of information fits something I already have a pattern for, then it drops in quickly and I get it right away.

I think part of the reason my life is easier now that I am officially "older" is that I have an immense archive of patterns from which to draw on developed over a lifespan.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm

Piaget was very much into schemes/patterns.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 12:54 pm

Only when it's a special interest.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

Another "it depends" here.

If I learn by myself, informally and out of interest, I'm fast.

In a formal environment, I always start as an utter, slow and complete idiot. I would stay in that state for a while and settle there if I'm not interested, or shoot like a rocket if I am, to the hilarious if somewhat offensive surprise of my teachers and colleagues :lol:

mike91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2019, 3:51 pm

Depends on anxiety levels, anxiety kills learning and short-term memory.

Sadly, many kids with autism get bullied which creates a hostile anxiety filled environment to learn anything.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2019, 11:58 pm

It largely depends on how it's explained to me. If I'm not taught in a manner that makes sense then no. If I'm not taught in a 'safe' feeling environment then no. If I have no interest in trying to learn, then no. If my emotional state is crap, then no. When I was a kid and I was in a growth spurt I couldn't learn anything to save my soul.

If it's something physical, like dance steps; I might remember the action that needs to be preformed okay but my ability to get my body to follow suit is sometimes another matter.

Now, if all the things I need are in place then, yes I can be fairly quick.