Can anyone else 'feel' the rain coming?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:09 pm

Rain no.

Snow yes. There is a certain clammy feeling to the air, and certain "electric" feel to the air. And it maybe cold, but it not too extremely cold. Hard to describe, but you get it before a snow storm.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:12 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I feel a lightness in my chest when a big storm is coming, but not just for the bits of rain that happen throughout the year. When a hurricane is approaching I feel so light a have an irrational fear of floating away. I don't think this is predictive, but a reaction of my body independent of my conscious mind. I sort of like the feeling but it is also sort of weird at the same time.

Hmmm...

Well a hurricane is a low pressure zone. If you're in a low pressure zone you actually have slightly less air weighing down on you from above than normal. Might be enough of difference to make you feel lighter.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I feel a lightness in my chest when a big storm is coming, but not just for the bits of rain that happen throughout the year. When a hurricane is approaching I feel so light a have an irrational fear of floating away. I don't think this is predictive, but a reaction of my body independent of my conscious mind. I sort of like the feeling but it is also sort of weird at the same time.

Hmmm...

Well a hurricane is a low pressure zone. If you're in a low pressure zone you actually have slightly less air weighing down on you from above than normal. Might be enough of difference to make you feel lighter.

We are floating in whatever air we have. The body would more likely notice the reduced oxygen pressure, as one does when on tall mountains or flying.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:27 pm

Dear_one wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Hmmm...

We are floating in whatever air we have. The body would more likely notice the reduced oxygen pressure, as one does when on tall mountains or flying.

So you would become light headed from getting noticeably less oxygen from breathing?

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2020, 6:30 pm

Sometimes, I can feel it, but I'm more likely to smell it coming long before that point.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Hmmm...

So you would become light headed from getting noticeably less oxygen from breathing?

Yes, although in this case, the head itself does not feel lighter - it is just a figure of speech for being a bit tipsy, in this case from mild oxygen deprivation until the body learns to breathe harder.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 10:00 pm

I thought everyone could do this, by smell or by sensing the ionization of the air before a storm.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 1:03 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
I thought everyone could do this, by smell or by sensing the ionization of the air before a storm.

Sharks can detect the electricity in your nerves, and my NT massage teacher could find north by holding up his arms and turning around, but most people are oblivious to electric charge.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 1:15 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:

Well that was what I figured, since it seems so obvious to me...but turns out its not the case. I mean I mentioned it to my boyfriend when I was feeling it and then it did in fact rain a bit later, but yeah he certainly said he couldn't feel anything different at all and couldn't really understand what I meant. He believes me, just doesn't feel it himself.

Which I believe his terrible sensitivity to stove burners even though when I touch them It doesn't bother me at all, so I have no understanding of why it bothers him but since it does I do try to accomodate. That said the thing with feeling the rain and thunder storms coming is its not unpleasant to me...I do actually really like the feeling. I have sometimes thought of if I was to be 'cured' of my autism if I would still have that enjoyable sensory sensitivity or not. May sound like a silly thing to get stuck over...but I would not want to lose that regardless of anything else it has to offer. LIke if I had the choice to be neurotypical and leave all my struggles behind but I would have to give up the storm feeling I don't think I could do it.

That said I have no idea for sure if its an autistic sensory thing or not.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 1:50 am

If you touch a live wire, you only get a shock if you also touch a ground. Rubber soled shoes are usually enough if you are only using one hand, but also touching your kitchen taps could be bad. I can't tell by touching if the wire is live, but if I rub it lightly with a fingertip, I can detect AC. I have found several hazardous tools and appliances that way, just noticing their "texture" as I handled them.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 4:50 am

I often get headaches for a few hours before a storm, I feel quite ill sometimes.
But once the rain starts I'm usually OK.

I have trouble with wi-fi as well. I have to switch off the home wi-fi in the evening, otherwise I don't feel refreshed when I wake, it feels like a part of my brain was left switched on all night. I don't know if this is a real thing or just some kind of hypochondriac imaginary thing. Anyway, it feels real, and it's a worry to me how many places have really strong wi-fi nowadays. You can't escape it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 8:15 am

It is hard to prove a connection between radio waves and biological activity in the lab, but there are a few cases such as a retired electronics engineer in Scandinavia who has to live far from other people, and can tell if an approaching visitor has neglected to turn off their 'phone a hundred meters away. Apparently there are many new problems appearing near 5g networks. I don't use wi-fi. I have one remote, and it runs on infrared.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 8:22 am

Often, but not always. I imagine it's just a matter of being aware of the low pressure and high humidity because there's days like that where it doesn't rain but where it does cause a 'false positive' all day.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell