Your Whackiest Special Interest in Adulthood??

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2022, 10:31 pm

starrytigress wrote:
My Little Pony. My Little Pony forever, I have loved them since I was 2. And WWII era airplanes, my favorite is the Gruman F4F Hellcat. I love folklore and paranormal stuff. Shih-Tzus, I've loved the breed every since we adopted Peppy. I am also a pop-a-holic. I find it weirdly relaxing, and I also kinda wonder if Youtube had existed when I was in middle school (showing my age here) when I cystic-nodular acne if I would have picked at my own acne less.
And here lately I've had a weird obsession with WWI (I blame Sabaton) and I've been looking into a lot of information about it, especially gas warfare (the most feared weapon but, ironically, the least lethal of all others).

To the other pimple poppers here as well. That sounds more like stim than a special interest?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 10:51 pm

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 1:25 am

starrytigress wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Jigger popping, pimple popping and toenail fungus videos.

Greetings my fellow Pop-a-holic!! !

:mrgreen:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 1:35 am

Not super weird but I like Victorian death photography, and Victorian mourning jewellery made with human hair.

Photos: (Content warning)
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

Jewellery:
https://editions.covecollective.org/con ... literature

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 2:07 am

Oh yeah, i've seen something on that. It was a fad. New technology. To remember your loved ones with.

That's the kind of thing I liked as a kid, Gruesome things. In books like these:
Various childrens books dealing with the macabre/horror side of history.

As far as adult interest..Nothing really upsets me too much visually. I have no curiosity to seek out car-wreck photos though.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 4:41 am

Does fortune telling count? I was into all sorts of divination stuff. I think it's not considered weird, though. At least people don't recoil when I offer to look at their birth charts. :D I'm a bit gifted at making people believe what I say. I try to not abuse that power. :D

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 4:55 am

Not sure this is whacky enough, but really into fungi, and also mushroom identification. Love autumn and spring as a result!
Plan to learn how to weld so I can build myself a bike frame but scared I will burn the house down :lol:
Also love board games and I am nearly finished designing my own one.

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2022, 10:43 am

munstead wrote:
Not sure this is whacky enough, but really into fungi, and also mushroom identification. Love autumn and spring as a result!
Plan to learn how to weld so I can build myself a bike frame but scared I will burn the house down :lol:

One of my past interests was what the "ology" was of various fields of study. For fungi and mushrooms it's MYCOLOGY. But you knew that, right?

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 11:17 am

Elgee wrote:
munstead wrote:

One of my past interests was what the "ology" was of various fields of study. For fungi and mushrooms it's MYCOLOGY. But you knew that, right?

yes.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2022, 4:55 pm

Elgee wrote:
starrytigress wrote:
My Little Pony. My Little Pony forever, I have loved them since I was 2. And WWII era airplanes, my favorite is the Gruman F4F Hellcat. I love folklore and paranormal stuff. Shih-Tzus, I've loved the breed every since we adopted Peppy. I am also a pop-a-holic. I find it weirdly relaxing, and I also kinda wonder if Youtube had existed when I was in middle school (showing my age here) when I cystic-nodular acne if I would have picked at my own acne less.
And here lately I've had a weird obsession with WWI (I blame Sabaton) and I've been looking into a lot of information about it, especially gas warfare (the most feared weapon but, ironically, the least lethal of all others).

To the other pimple poppers here as well. That sounds more like stim than a special interest?

Why can't it be both? A weird little hobby that helps me emotionally regulate sounds great! :D

Last edited by starrytigress on 31 Jan 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2022, 4:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Not super weird but I like Victorian death photography, and Victorian mourning jewellery made with human hair.

Photos: (Content warning)
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

Jewellery:
https://editions.covecollective.org/con ... literature

I think it's kinda cool too, although that might just be because I'm a history nerd. I'm fascinated by the death photography stuff and how they'd like, paint eyes on the eyelids and stuff.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2022, 5:04 pm

munstead wrote:

Have you seen Beatrix Potter's fungi illustrations? The scientific community praised them as the best drawing they had seen, but said because she was a woman she could not science with them because "real science" is for men.

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2022, 5:29 pm

starrytigress wrote:
Elgee wrote:
starrytigress wrote:

Why can't it be both? A weird little hobby that helps me emotionally regulate sounds great! :D

My special interest of BIG THICK ponytails is also a stim because I get a visual stim by seeing a badass ponytail -- it's a rush that I can't describe -- BUT I also stim with my own ponytail, not just visually but I feel it and sniff it.

Do you notice other peoples' pimples, though? Or is this SI all just on your own?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 5:40 pm

Webcomics.  I have binge-read at least one webcomic per week, and those webcomics are often 20 years old!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 5:40 pm

Elgee wrote:
Perhaps a subverted form of "cutting"?

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2022, 5:45 pm

Probably not the weirdest but I have a few esoteric interests re: history:

Who would be France's monarch today?

Australian shipwrecks.

People who disappeared such as DB Cooper, Benjamin Bathurst, anyone on the FBI's most wanted list.

The Empire of Trebizond.

Epidemics in history.