Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:11 pm

Absolutely!

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:48 am

Preventable death and murder all bother me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how those three "good kids" from the hood in Newark were killed execution-style, just because they were trying to succeed in life.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:42 am

The death of a person or a pet in my family would be very sad to me. If I read about the passing of a pet or a person on my cat site, I will also be sad. I have come to know these people and their pets over the course of the last seven years, and it really hurts me because I know what it's like to lose a beloved pet.

nellos121
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2007, 9:59 am

Have you seen Schendiler's List?

In it, there is loads of death, all the time. You become used to it somehow, you don't become surprised or saddened by it.

But the whole film is in black and white and in one of the scenes there is a little girl playing in the street wearing a red dress (it's in black and white except for her, whos in a red dress). Later on in the film when they are burying a load of dead bodies we see the girl in red being "disposed of".

I think Steven Speilberg knows we can't grasp death on this scale, so highlights just one person, the girl in the red dress, when you see loads of dead bodies you feel bad, but when you see her being buried you really feel hurt.

Its a clever thing by him to make us identify with just one of the characters I think, the loss of an innocent life. I found it moving.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 12:10 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I'm just curious why this is in the autism forum, lol.

Because I'd been wondering if my reaction was because of the Asperger's. It seems like I look at this stuff from a more analytical viewpoint, which is why larger scale incidents bother me more. I know that they're bigger so they're more significant, on an intellectual level, so it bothers me more. Individual deaths are just random chance and, objectively, just don't matter as much. So I was wondering if it's because we tend to analyze things more. Looks like, from the results, it's certainly not a common thing though, so I must be wrong.

larsenjw92286 wrote:
That reminds me, the person who posted this thread didn't intend to be so incoherent, did they?

Apologies. It does still make sense to me when I read back through, but I think it's unclear because I was both exhausted (anyone'll be incoherent if they've had as little sleep as I have recently) and because I tend to flesh out any thought with subordinate clauses and statements in parentheses. I think I do it to flesh out what I'm saying in an attempt to make things clearer, but I often go overboard and the point is lost in the digression. I've been doing it since before I was a teenager, I think.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 1:11 pm

Etta, I like the fact that you are so caring towards others!

And sir, I understand you too!