Have YOU been accused of microaggressions??

Page 2 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 8:35 pm

A "micro-aggression" is a small insult. By definition, it's not a big thing -- in and of itself.

However, if you are on the receiving end of lots and lots of micro-aggressions, especially as part of a larger general pattern of being treated disrespectfully by mainstream society as a whole, then they add up to one big thing.

Hence the big deal about micro-aggressions in today's world, where various marginalized groups who previously felt compelled to suffer in silence now feel much freer to ask to be treated with dignity and respect.

Given the Western world's history of imperialism these past several centuries, lots of insulting assumptions about other peoples have been baked in to Western culture -- sometimes to our own great detriment. (For example, had white Americans deigned, earlier, to pay more respectful attention to Indigenous American oral histories, then perhaps we might have realized, earlier, that the Pacific Northwest is prone to occasional gigantic earthquakes and tsunamis.)

What's new is that a lot of traditional Western racist/colonialist assumptions -- and the casual, often oblivious ways they have traditionally been expressed -- are finally being brought to Western white people's attention.

Not only former colonized and enslaved peoples are speaking up, but also other marginalized groups too.

Autistic people, too, have often been on the receiving end of lots of micro-aggressions, and some of us are speaking up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 10:26 pm

I have been accused of "Covert Bullying" instead.

Although the accuser could not describe exactly what I was allegedly doing to earn the accusation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 5:09 am

The term "microagression" has not gained track here so far but, especially in childhood, I was often accused of being intentionally offensive when I tried my best to behave but it wasn't enough for some.
I think people could not believe that someone could learn well and use logic and knowledge but be genuinely ignorant about social expectations.

Anyway, I still prefer good old "rudeness", "false friendliness" and sometimes "annoying willful ignorance" etc. to describe the behaviors categorized as "microagressions".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 5:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
A "micro-aggression" is a small insult. By definition, it's not a big thing -- in and of itself.

However, if you are on the receiving end of lots and lots of micro-aggressions, especially as part of a larger general pattern of being treated disrespectfully by mainstream society as a whole, then they add up to one big thing.

Hence the big deal about micro-aggressions in today's world, where various marginalized groups who previously felt compelled to suffer in silence now feel much freer to ask to be treated with dignity and respect.

Given the Western world's history of imperialism these past several centuries, lots of insulting assumptions about other peoples have been baked in to Western culture -- sometimes to our own great detriment. (For example, had white Americans deigned, earlier, to pay more respectful attention to Indigenous American oral histories, then perhaps we might have realized, earlier, that the Pacific Northwest is prone to occasional gigantic earthquakes and tsunamis.)

What's new is that a lot of traditional Western racist/colonialist assumptions -- and the casual, often oblivious ways they have traditionally been expressed -- are finally being brought to Western white people's attention.

Not only former colonized and enslaved peoples are speaking up, but also other marginalized groups too.

Autistic people, too, have often been on the receiving end of lots of micro-aggressions, and some of us are speaking up.

I think the problem with the trem "microagression" in this context is that it villainizes people who might be genuinely ignorant and just rooted in their culture.
And this leads to defensive reactions and "fighting back".
And this leads to less understanding instead of more :(

I don't really know how to reconcile with some ugly pages of the history and their lingering impact. I can tell what processes are taking place in my nation but I'm well aware they can't be simply planted elsewhere and expected to work.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've never heard of that about putting change into someone's hand.
I've always been the recipient (not working in a shop), and I never took note.
Now I haven't used cash money or especially change, in years.

I wonder if it's a practice that I should have known all along.
Maybe I missed it because I don't know social rules.

It's very sad about what was happening.
I can see how it would be offensive.

Are children and employees still taught to put change into a person's hand?
I wonder if my kids know, not that we deal with cash anymore.

I can recall seeing a sort of dish on the counter in parts of Europe for depositing the change. I once mistook that for an ashtray! (I haven't smoked in almost 40 years).

@Isabella it's possible that the deal with putting the change in somebody's palm is an American thing which would explain why you don't remember it.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:36 am

Accusing an autistic person of microaggressions is a time-honored way to make them feel like shıt.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 6:54 am

magz wrote:
The term "microagression" has not gained track here so far but, especially in childhood, I was often accused of being intentionally offensive when I tried my best to behave but it wasn't enough for some.
I think people could not believe that someone could learn well and use logic and knowledge but be genuinely ignorant about social expectations.

The term "micro-aggression" is usually used specifically in the context of members of socially relatively dominant groups interacting with members of socially relatively marginalized groups.

Micro-aggressions are often not intentionally offensive. Often they arise from sheer force of habit. The point isn't (or shouldn't be) that the person doing the micro-aggressions is an awful person, but rather that they should learn why they are offensive and stop doing them.

Until the past decade or so, here in the U.S.A., most culturally mainstream white folks could easily live their lives without learning anything at all about any other cultural group, much less how to avoid offending these other groups, and everyone else pretty much had no choice but to put up with it, at least if they wanted to keep their jobs.

That is what is finally starting to change. On the whole, I think this change is basically a good thing, EXCEPT for the impatience with which it is sometimes implemented -- an impatience which is all too often an excuse for ageism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 9:07 am

I would rather have change given to me in front of me, rather than in my hand. Unless the cashier lady is kind of cute :P

I do understand the black person's irritation----with not being treated as an equal human being with a white person. I doubt very much, these days, that a white clerk in a store would be thinking about not touching a black person's hand to give change.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 19 Jan 2023, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2023, 9:13 am

<self censored>

Last edited by Silence23 on 19 Jan 2023, 12:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 9:18 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
The term "micro-aggression" is usually used specifically in the context of members of socially relatively dominant groups interacting with members of socially relatively marginalized groups.

Micro-aggressions are often not intentionally offensive. Often they arise from sheer force of habit. The point isn't (or shouldn't be) that the person doing the micro-aggressions is an awful person, but rather that they should learn why they are offensive and stop doing them.

Until the past decade or so, here in the U.S.A., most culturally mainstream white folks could easily live their lives without learning anything at all about any other cultural group, much less how to avoid offending these other groups, and everyone else pretty much had no choice but to put up with it, at least if they wanted to keep their jobs.

That is what is finally starting to change. On the whole, I think this change is basically a good thing, EXCEPT for the impatience with which it is sometimes implemented -- an impatience which is all too often an excuse for ageism.
I understand the intent but I also see how it backfires.
It's an accusation people don't understand - so instead of "see what kind of crap my folks need to put up with, don't add to it" message, they get some vague sense of being accused of being evil no matter what they do or don't do.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm

I mean, I had to argue with my partner for an hour in the car to make him understand that I wasn't "disregarding" my brother-in-law's tone when he said something at Christmas. It took that long for someone who lives in the same house as me to understand that he could sense something that I didn't and that this caused me to say the wrong thing back. Given this, I'm not really surprised that we have no chance at strangers or acquaintances coming to the same understanding.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 5:47 pm

magz wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

It's an accusation people don't understand - so instead of "see what kind of crap my folks need to put up with, don't add to it" message, they get some vague sense of being accused of being evil no matter what they do or don't do.

Apparently just because someone is white he bears guilt for things he hasn't done. That's nonsensical. After all who is the authority that determines what is offensive for which group of people. Also who determines that a certain offence is universal for all individuals of that group. Isn't that racism, that just because one belongs to a certain group you assume they must feel a certain way? "Impatience" is a really soft word to describe lunacy.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:52 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
Apparently just because someone is white he bears guilt for things he hasn't done. That's nonsensical. After all who is the authority that determines what is offensive for which group of people. Also who determines that a certain offence is universal for all individuals of that group. Isn't that racism, that just because one belongs to a certain group you assume they must feel a certain way? "Impatience" is a really soft word to describe lunacy.

Who's ever mentioned anything about guilt? Typically it's more a matter of how institutional harms were inflicted, as well as the social impacts that resulted. For some reason some people automatically rally around the folks who look like them rather than the people who were wronged - often even when they're not their own ancestors (at least in places like North America or Australia).

A group of people are left traumatized by their collective experiences inflicted upon them by no fault of their own and then they're blamed for struggling to recover from that experience in the face of social and institutional discrimination.

And then discussion of these concerns are dismissed as inflicting guilt upon white people when your complexion shouldn't compel your sympathies on such matters.

You're right that there's lunacy involved, you've just misidentified where it's the norm.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 7:55 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
magz wrote:

Personally I find it's useful to use in a very broad context just so people don't only associate it with these sorts of discussions.

If people recognize what they are more generally, they'll be more mindful of ones that exist in more narrower contexts. It can't be a mainstream concept while remaining specialized jargon.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would rather have change given to me in front of me, rather than in my hand. Unless the cashier lady is kind of cute :P

I do understand the black person's irritation----with not being treated as an equal human being with a white person. I doubt very much, these days, that a white clerk in a store would be thinking about not touching a black person's hand to give change.

I have had a number of occasions where Asian ppl have not wanted to touch my hand accidentally when handing over change.
They literally threw the coins at the dirty filthy Caucasian. 8O :mrgreen:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 3:35 am

magz wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Right, this is a problem. I guess the only solution is more widespread education about what a "microaggression" is in the context of relatively privileged (in whatever way) people interacting with relatively marginalized (in whatever way) people.

Unfortunately, I suspect, this kind of misunderstanding is likely during any kind of social change that involves an elevation of moral standards, rather than just rebellion against an obsolete standard.