how many WPers here like living in small towns?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

who here lives in a small town, and how do you like it?
I DO!! :bounce: 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
i don't. :| 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
i don't live in any kinda town. :star: 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
i'm not sure. :shrug: 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 32

Bestiola
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jul 2024, 3:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
or at least don't mind living in small towns? how do you like living in a small town? i know i live in a small town because the cost of living is cheaper and it is harder to get lost in. life is a lot less complicated in my small town. sure, there isn't much to do or see but i generally hermit myself away at home away from people anyhow because it is more peaceful that way. how many other WPers here are similar? i want to know your thoughts on this.

I sure wish I lived like that, since big cities (here at least) are overcrowded, stinky and noisy.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 4:27 pm

I don't like it. I regret not staying in the city after University. That's where my home is, mentally. Once I have the funds, I'm out of here.

You'll never see me againnnnnn.

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 4:48 pm

I've always lived in cities and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If I was alone it would be particularly hard. If I lived with my partner I suppose I could live anywhere, but it would still be preferable to me to live in a city.

I don't go out much but I like to have the option to go out to events or to see people, when I sometimes can. I also love being able to pop over to the supermarket to pick up anything I want anytime. A small town or a rural place would feel very lonely and isolating to me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 6:08 pm

I live in a small town, and I don’t like it. I really enjoy doing stuff like going to museums, art galleries, and concerts. There’s nothing like that around here. My area is very conservative, so I also feel like a bit of an outsider in a PPR sense.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2024, 9:21 pm

Where I live it used to be considered a rural town but now it's a small city. It's only a fifty minute train trip to get to the capital city of Western Australia.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

13 Jul 2024, 4:31 pm

My parents live in a small town but it's on a major highway that connects two cities. There's not much within a viable walking distance from my parents & there's also no sidewalks & steep ditches next to the roads. A car is required to go anywhere. I cant drive & there was no public transportation system there. My parents sometimes hated having to bring me places, especially if they had to miss work to do it. I felt very trapped living there but some of that was because of the environmental climate & the political atmosphere in the state.

I've been living in cities since I moved in with my girlfriend. There's sidewalks, some stores I can walk to, & a bus system. We can go to WalMart or to doc appointments without having family bring us. I may not go out much sometimes but I really like having the freedom & independence of knowing I can :D

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2024, 12:25 am

I lived in a small town where the theater had two screens. We had to drive a good ways to do most things, mall shopping, dentist, big theater, etc. Aside from the good local food and my friends, the small town wasn't for me. The town I live in now suits me better. It's kind of a mid size town near a bigger town. A lot of things are close and the few that aren't still aren't that far.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 1:11 am

tacoma wa. is about as big a town as i can handle, lived there most of my life 'cept for the last 20 years or so. i wish my present little wide spot in the road had a little tacoma in it.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2024, 3:13 am

Not sure if I'm in a large town or small city (population maybe 200,000?) - but I really like it.
There's everything you need within a few minutes - and being Australia it's not overcrowded, there's space.
One of the shopping centres gets too noisy and crowded for me but I go to another, they're equally close.

Sometimes I think about going down to Brisbane for the work opportunities but I never go, it's too comfortable here and Brisbane houses would be too expensive for me, plus there's all the traffic etc.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2024, 6:16 pm

The part of Portland where I live has a small-town vibe to it, not a suburban vibe.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2024, 12:59 am

I am moving from a city with a population of 120,000 to one with a population of 25,000. I am relieved. I do not like living in a bigger city. I am sad that the new city I am moving to happens to have less agricultural land and less farmers but I am still glad that it has less people and less bit "activity spots".

My ideal would be somewhere like a town outside of Kingsville, Texas. I liked visited family there near Bishop before they had to sell and move somewhere else in the boonies of Texas. I love rural towns in Texas even if the few people living there don't love me. I like being on a farm, especially.

Unfortunately, I am moving to New England from Texas. I visited my the new apartment and stayed there for a week and... the summer day there feels like a summer night here. I only experienced snowy weather once so I am nervous.
But at least it is a smaller city!! !! !

I don't mind not having much to do because I do not want to do anything! I just wanna be on the farm or in a park or in a library. As long as I have a beach I can get a ride to, some quiet land to chill at, and a spot to read and have a coffee I am SET

calciume
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2024, 1:28 am

I live in a very small town. There is a post office, church, general store and a couple houses. You have to drive at a minimum, 30 minutes to get anywhere. Personally I wish I lived in a city. I've always been a bit of a shut in so I don't leave my house much outside of going to work and shopping so at least if I lived in a city and I wanted groceries I wouldn't have to drive for 30 minutes both directions to do that and I wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes each direction to go to work. Plus I kind of like being a bit unknown and don't really like too many people knowing who I am. I'm the kind of person who gets extremely stressed out if I see a person who recognizes me in public.
So I think overall my quality of life would improve a lot if I lived in a city. Especially so if it was a walkable city or maybe a place I could ride my bike in without fear of getting ran over.

CatHerder
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2024, 3:34 pm

I live in a small city and prefer it. I have no desire to do anything outside of the house. I prefer to save money.

There is a Wal-Mart nearby. I drive there once a week, and the groceries I ordered online are placed into the trunk of my car. That and driving to work is the only driving I do.

I like my life. It's just me and my two cats. I read a lot and listen to my favorite podcast, "Ancient History." I don't have any desire for a relationship of any kind, except with my cats.

All of my social needs are filled at work. I may work until I die, it's a possibility. I expect that I would be pretty isolated without work, given that there is no one I see on the weekends. I think that a lot of desire for relationships is planted in us by the media. Songs, videos, social media, movies, shows, peer pressure.

Consider that you can also have relationships with people that are not present or even no longer living, writers that wrote interesting books. That is a lot more manageable than living people, and you are not likely to be taken advantage of.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 3:51 pm

having gone from a big midwestern city back to my tiny wide spot in the road, i got used to it again surprisingly quickly.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2024, 8:34 pm

I'd live in a small town if I could.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 7:09 am

the town i live in has about 20K residents, do you consider that small? I am happy here. Entire county has about 30K residents, loads of forest trails and shore line trails too. Isolation and peace is only 15 minutes away or even less, in city, county, state, and national parks all around. Just depends on what you like or want, I guess.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson