Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:49 am

Wow how strange for a person to feel free criticizing some of you like that. To your faces even.

I liked the response of "because they're comforting and I like them."

I get schooled by my own 10 year old son all the time in how to deal with others. He has ADHD and is being raised by me (an odd person NT) and his dad (an elite aspie type), so maybe he's not the most normal person himself. Sometimes the kids at school will say something unkind to him. He refuses to swear and his ADHD is too bad to think of something clever in the moment. He simply says something like, "Why would you say something like that?" Which puts a person in their place better than anything else.

Oh and one more thing- think deeply about this "ablism" idea. People on the autism spectrum may be at a disadvantage in certain situations, but they are at an advantage in others. So it just depends on how you see yourself and others.

ach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 11:34 am

You might like The Little Prince. The book describes my idea of "grown-up" pretty well.

To me, "grown-up" and "adult" are mutually associated, but neither such term implies anything about the other such term.
Also to me, being a grown-up, i.e., not being a kid, implies having little curiosity, sincerity, or playfulness. As an academic -- more specifically, an artist -- more specifically, a mathematician --, I believe that these qualities are virtuous.

I just wanted to offer my proverbial two cents.

"I'M A GOOFY GOOBER!"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:20 pm

I love Om Nom and Cut the Rope. I have a pea hat that I like to wear. It has a stem on it.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 6:58 am

years ago somebody explained to me the difference between "child like" and "childish"
Child like is the eternal burning curiosity and enthusiasm we may have for doing the things we are interested in and the things we love. It is the openness and emotional honesty that people may mask in every day life.

Being childish is the trait of immature behavior and lack of insights that most others gain as we get older. It is the single minded selfishness, the petty jealousies, the lack of thought that is needed to interact with peers and others in every day life, refusing to accept responsibility for one's actions or behavior, being vindictive, jealous, deliberately disruptive or disrespectful or in other ways acting as a young child would.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 7:39 am

We may appear to be childish when in reality, our creative sides and passions never left us. Tim Burton is on the spectrum and he didn't let go of those "Child-like" passions. Without them, there would be have been no Beetlejuice or Jack who I feel are characters who act like they are on the spectrum.