Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 5:56 pm

Spaceplayer wrote:
Sci-Fi? It's implied in my name. ;) But I'd qualify it by saying I'm not strictly sci-fi; I like fantasy as well, but not strictly fantasy; I like mythology as well. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's the trappings of the genre as much as the idea of otherwordliness that might attract us, whether it's robots, dragons, or deities? Which is odd if you think about the idea that Aspies are supposedly not good with metaphors, and take things literally...maybe that's why you see Spock-eared wookies at conventions. Though I have no problem with the metaphors, but then, I'm obsessed with metaphors....

:) I think maybe your're on to something. I like things that are transendant in some ways. And Im also interested in some scientific things, like how human mind works e t c.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2007, 6:26 pm

Ferrelas wrote:
I'd rather say that people who like sci-fi are more prone to be less NT than most people.

What's the difference?

Ferrelas wrote:

Here's a link to an online test wich can give you a hint at the question if you have AS or not:
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test

I find it both usefull and kinda accurate, it's because of that I noticed I had it. :)

Hmm...

According to that I definitely don't have AS. And maybe that's the correct "answer".

But I also think that that kind of test not really look at the fineprint or the "grey zon" between AS and NT.

I don't think it's an "either or" thing but an "how much" thing and the question is not really wether you have it or not(like if you have a virus or not) but where you draw the line.

A diagnosis is a concept made up by people. It's a way to categorize our perception of reality but it is not reality itself. Reality has a tendecy to be more complecated. With that said, our way of defining things(semantics) have great impact on how we perceive them.

10 Dec 2007, 6:47 pm

I was obsessed with Jurassic Park for two years. Is that sci-fi enough lol.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:01 pm

hey, why not? Sci-fi feeds the idea that the smart guy can 'get the girl'...;) (or the guy, but that came later...;)

Been a sci-fi fan since the mid-60s (blame that 'ol Mr. Heinlein...;), but it's not all I read.
Sci-fi is a good way to approach the world from different perspectives, but as long as you hold on to the 'fi' (fiction), you'll be all right.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:35 pm

SCI FI RULES

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Seems to be a glitch now. (Grabs nearby telephone)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:18 pm

I wasn't really a scifi man, just a trekkie...

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 7:03 pm

Good one Pakled ... Heinlen trapped me too.
My father and both brothers are SF nuts, but not to the extent i am.
I have collected thousands of paperbacks, and my pulp magazine collection goes back to 1931
My partner isn't a heavy reader, but is addicted to cinematic SF

On a more tangential note...

I have an article in a 1938 sci fi mag. compaining man made pollution was starting to cause global climate change.
Since then we've pumped 70 years of exponentially accelerated crap into the atmosphere and expect "carbon emissions reduction" to reverse the effects?

If we really want to save our descendants, we have to build an orbital insertion rail gun and start getting some mirror production going.

Don't suppose Bill Gates frequents wrongplanet?

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

13 Dec 2007, 7:47 pm

I love sci-fi, particularly hard sci-fi. I get a giddy thrill every time something that was conceived of in a sci-fi sense later turns into something real.

And, I have the entire V series on DVD; another child of the 80's corn here. It started off good, and was interesting for a while... But man did it get bad and stop making sense towards the end, and then just sorta stopped. The original mini-series was the best part. But when they turned the little half-V girl into a teenager available as a love interest, I slammed my head into the nearest something in frustration.

Oh, and speaking of that, an odd cultural reference that is relevant but few might understand... They did the same freaking thing in 4400 recently. And when they turned the little half-4400 girl into a teenager who (80 -> 2000's) wants to have sex with everyone, I remember blurting out as I watched it, "Oh good grief; they so pulled a V!"

That's my contribution to 80's pop-culture lingo, "They so pulled a V!" 8) And I hope I never have the opportunity to utter it again.

Good fortune,

- Icarus had a thing for Diana (bad, bad girl)...

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:25 pm

Cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic are where it's at. Books to read, movies to see, games to play(list truncated to 10 of each):

Books:

-The Sheep Look Up
-Stand on Zanzibar
-Space Merchants
-Riddley Walker
-Neuromancer
-Snow Crash
-Damnation Alley
-Good News
-Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
-The Shockwave Rider

Movies:

-The Road Warrior
-Blade Runner
-Mad Max
-Akira
-Deathrace 2000
-A Boy and His Dog
-Twelve Monkeys
-Cherry 2000
-Cyborg
-Dawn of the Dead

Games:

-Fallout (PC)
-Fallout 2 (PC)
-Outlander (Sega Genesis)
-Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Playstation 2)
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Autoduel (Commodore 64)
-Wasteland (Commodore 64)
-Auto Assault (PC)
-Dues Ex (PC)
-Shadowrun (Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis versions, both two different games)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 11:31 pm

pakled wrote:
hey, why not? Sci-fi feeds the idea that the smart guy can 'get the girl'...;) (or the guy, but that came later...;)

Been a sci-fi fan since the mid-60s (blame that 'ol Mr. Heinlein...;), but it's not all I read.
Sci-fi is a good way to approach the world from different perspectives, but as long as you hold on to the 'fi' (fiction), you'll be all right.

We look for things... to make us go...

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 7:11 am

Odin wrote:
If faster-then-light travel is needed for the plot I'd rather an author use wormholes, which may be possible based our current knowledge of physics, instead of warp drives.

Or Alcubiere-drive.

@Scumsuckingdouchebag: Shin Megami Tensei! :D

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:12 am

My mother thinks that only kids like s-f and once she told me to get rid of two posters with characters from Star Wars because "I am already too old to have such things on my doors" (she meant by that not posters as such but s-f posters; having posters with Beyonce or another famous person would be ok according to her).

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:14 am

I only like Star Trek and Doctor Who and thats it with Sci Fi I think that has something to do with the fact that my Dad when he was alive used to watch them both and through sitting down and watching them with him sort of got me into watching Star Trek and Doctor Who.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2007, 10:30 am

I'm not a huge sci-fi freak or anything. I went through a period where I read all of the books when I was a teenager, but then it wore off.

I was totally into V, Alien Nation, and Red Dwarf though. Never a huge Star Trek or Doctor Who fan. Love Robert Aspirin's books, though.

For me there has to be the right element of corniness or humour for me to really enjoy it. Star Trek was corny but took itself too seriously. I guess that's the problem with most sci-fi. Takes itself too seriously. If it can make fun of itself, then I can enjoy it.

For instance, does anyone else find Star Trek unbearable just because of Shatner? Was there some kind of code that said he could only have sex with a woman if she was green, purple, or blue? I know 2ukenkurl is gonna slam me for that because we've had this argument before...but truthfully, he doesn't seem too attracted to actual human women, just the ones that kinna seem human. Familiar shape not so familiar packaging idea.

I've been more into Anita Blake, The Vampire Hunter and Andrew Vacchs character Burke for a while now. and there's always the truly good zombie movies....Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead....get the of the dead pattern.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:47 am

I like Sci-Fi, I've only read a few books and liked those that I have read, especially Enchantress From the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl, it's a good mix of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. But mostly I'm into Fantasy and Myth. Historical fiction is great too.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2007, 1:09 pm

Irulan wrote:
My mother thinks that only kids like s-f and once she told me to get rid of two posters with characters from Star Wars because "I am already too old to have such things on my doors" (she meant by that not posters as such but s-f posters; having posters with Beyonce or another famous person would be ok according to her).

The best defense against the attitude of people like Irulan's mother, that I've heard, was offered by Ayn Rand in her essay "Art and Moral Treason." She briefly discusses sci fi elsewhere, but here defends it as ideally a form of Romanticism and offers a motive for those who attack it; here, she almost describes your [Irulan's] situation. And her thoughts on the matter are an important reminder that some traits of autism, such as literal thinking, are not exclusive to Aspies.

"Every form of punishment-from outright prohibition to threats to anger to condemnation to crass indifference to mockery-is unleashed against a child at the first signs of his Romanticism..."Life is not like that! and "Come down to earth!" are the catchphrases which best summarize the motives of the attackers, as well as the view of life and of this earth which they seek to inculcate."

Rand seems to describe Wrong Planet when she syas that "the child who withstands it and damns the attackers, not himself and his values, is a rare exception. The child who merely suppresses his values, avoids communication and withdraws into a lonely private universe, is almost as rare."

Another gem: "An intelligent child is aware that he does not know what adult life is like, that he has an enormous amount to learn...an ambitious child is incoherently determinced to make something important of himself and his life. So when he hears such threats as 'Wait 'til you grow up!' and 'You'll never get anywhere with those childish notions!' it is his virtues that are turned against him." (Growing up being code for cynicism and mob mentality.)

Rand paraphrases all the "adults" we've ever heard when it comes to sci-fi, who don't realize that stories like this are conceptual. Ironically, it's the aspie's who are supposed to take things literally, but just witness the attitude of the general public towards comic books, superheroes, sci-fi and fairy tales: "They convince him that to be like Buck Rogers means to wear a space helmet and blast armies of Martians with disintegrator ray guns, and that he'd better give up such notions if he ever expects to make a respectable living. And they finish him off with such gems of argumentation as: 'Buck Rogers-haha!-never gets any colds in the head....YOU had one last week. So don't you go on imagining that you're better than the rest of us!'"

HERE is the secret: "Their motive is obvious. If they actually regarded Romanticism as an 'impractical fantasy' they would feel nothing but a friendly or indifferent amusement-NOT the passionate resentment and uncontrollable rage which they do feel and exhibit."

That's the secret, whether the fan/detractor relation is Aspie/Neurotypical or not. It's not the unrealistic nature of robots and dragons, it's the pursuit of something better represented in these stories that the detractor really resents, because they've already given up, and want you to do the same. "One of us, one of us." And god damn you if you succeed, because then you've pointed out that it's not sci-fi that's unrealistic, it's the defeated attitude of those who gave up and want you to do the same. It's called "tall poppy syndrome" in some parts, other parts call it "the crab bucket mentality." It all involves pulling you down back into the pot to be cooked with the other crabs. No space ships for crabs. No sun for the tallest poppy. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take the spaceship and robots over the mob any day.