Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2005, 8:58 pm

Ummm... am I allowed to say that I think that what Katze said was bitchy, insensitive and quite uncalled for? Cos I do... but if I'm not allowed to say it, someone let me know and I'll edit it a bit...

:?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 1:50 am

i don't think you have to edit, kitten. everyone's is entitled to their opinion, providing they're not breaching the guidelines. and that includes Cath.

Vivi
(as Mod)

p.s.
my personal (i.e. non-Mod) opinion is that Cath's comment was, shall we say, blunt.

Katze
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2005, 2:39 am

vetivert wrote:
i don't think you have to edit, kitten. everyone's is entitled to their opinion, providing they're not breaching the guidelines. and that includes Cath.

Vivi
(as Mod)

p.s.
my personal (i.e. non-Mod) opinion is that Cath's comment was, shall we say, blunt.

You got to cry without weeping..Talk without speaking..Scream without raising your voice....Singing Ha La La La De Day.... (U2)

I don't give advice lightly unless I've walked the same road and know how it feels.

Cath

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 2:53 am

Does seasonal affective disorder usually come with permanent personality alterations even after the mood episode has resolved itself?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 3:02 am

Katze wrote:

SARCASTIC_NAME, I AIN'T BUYING INTO THIS MANIPULATION...... DEAL WITH IT!

Cath

Manurepillation? Just who's manipulating whom?

I'm afraid you're on the edge, Cath. You're out there, on a cliff. You don't even know you're one step from falling to your doom. You're looking at everyone, bewildered, distrustful, outraged. There they are, wallowing in self-pity; but you're above it all, so cool and rational, having already been through it all and more. Just one more caustic counsel, and they'll start to see things your way. We're just all steps to the pinnacle of maturity, where Katze holds court.

But her majestic court is a windswept plateau, and her throne is the seat of absurdity. From the mouth of this fool only can the men and women of Autopia hear such contribulations.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 4:18 am

Lol, no idea WHAT that was all about, but I think (correct me all you pedants! :lol:) that in short, SAD (LOL I JUST REALISED IT IS WRITTEN AS SAD! :D) most commonly makes you depressed in the 'gloomy' seasons... Generally people pick up in the Summer.

Katze
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2005, 4:37 am

PhoenixKitten wrote:
Lol, no idea WHAT that was all about, but I think (correct me all you pedants! :lol:) that in short, SAD (LOL I JUST REALISED IT IS WRITTEN AS SAD! :D) most commonly makes you depressed in the 'gloomy' seasons... Generally people pick up in the Summer.

Whether anyone 'likes' me here or not is of no concern to me, what is more important is the state of Sarcastic_Name and how you are dealing with this. You say you want to grow up, you won't do it by trying to arrange your environment to suit you (Unless you're filthy rich, and then the worse for you) or trying to manipulate people into supporting you. People will support you if you let them, sooner or later you will have to go into Life, maybe into a Job, unless you are planning to enter a Sheltered Worskshop making Coathangers, and you're to smart for that. You won't be able to arrange people around you in life insofar as to give them a warning, if you expect that then you will be disappointed.

If you want to freak out, shout, explode, then go ahead, leave some assembly instructions for your Mom so she can put you back together again afterwards, maybe thats what you need. I wish I could be there with you and hold your hand while you go through your crisis, but that's not my job.

Talk to a counsellor or Therapist. Believe me, it would be much easier for me to blow Sunshine up your ass but I'd be rather be rootin' for you on the sideline, cheering you on and see you making it. But you ain't going to enrol me into your 'I'm warning everybody to tread carfully because I may explode and say somethign nasty' game. I've seen that too often.

I've said all that I want to say on this. The rest of you p*****s, including NeantHumain, take a powder.....,

'You got to cry without weeping..Talk without speaking..Scream without raising your voice....Singing Ha la la La De Day....

Cath

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 4:58 am

Katze, I would genuinely like to know whether you are actually *trying* to get Sarcastic_Name to explode. If this is your idea of a joke, I don't find it funny.

I would agree that some people are capable of using illness as an excuse to get away with blue murder, however I DON'T think that this is what Sarcastic is doing. The reason I think this, apart from knowing that he is a decent sort of bloke, is because of the timing and context of this thread. People who are going to use disability as an excuse don't bring it up before they get into strife, in a calm fashion. Instead, they bring it up AFTER they have exploded as a justification. Even then, it is only an excuse if the person is saying that they couldn't help doing the wrong thing, it was beyond their control. This is different to when I have done the wrong thing, I appologise for it, and if circumstances warrent it, I will then go on to explain to anyone who has copped my wrath what the triggers were, and why these things affect me. For instance, the time I banged a hole in the wall with my head, I didn't tell people that I couldn't help it because I have Aspergers, I acknowledged that my behaviour was inappropriate, I appologised for the damage I caused, and I then went on to explain that the action ocurred during a meltdown which was the result of frustration and confusion that I was experiencing as a result of my Aspergers. I then went and found myself a counsellor to help me to contain my meltdowns. Not an excuse, not trying to change the world to suit me, but just a plain fact.

In the same way, I hear Sarcastic telling people how it is for him at the moment, plain and simple. It would appear that he was previously unaware of what SAD was. Given that it is a recognised disorder, he would have been in an immensly difficult position to find ways of managing it without any understanding of what it is. (Think physical disability: a paraplegic who doesn't know about wheelchairs is gonna have one hell of a time figuring out ways to get around). However, when the idea was mentioned to him, he responded with interest and questions, which is indicative of his desire to find ways of managing himself. I think this takes great courage. Personally, I think he is on the right track. At least he is being honest with himself and other people in acknowledging that something is amiss.

If I might be so bold, I suggest that you give Sarcastic a chance. It is pretty obvious that you have had some sort of bad experience with people using disability as an excuse, but Sarcastic is Sarcastic, and not anyone else. By all means, check up on him; if he starts running around wreaking havoc and then saying 'oh I couldn't help it, it's not my fault', then I will be one of the first people to voice my concern. However, I would suggest that you give him a chance. I don't think he has done anything out of line yet. So be nice. Yeah. What she said! :lol:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 5:20 am

speaking as a Moderator (and only for myself, as i'm not speaking for other Mods here), i'm pleased that saracstic name has posted this, as it means i can watch out for danger signs, if needs be, and then things can be managed before they get out of hand.

i'd rather know if someone is "tetchy" and be able to give gentle reminders, than have to storm in with warnings when things have gone too far.

my personal opinion as a Mod, as i said.

Vivi
(as an individual Mod)

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 5:25 am

Aww Vivi, gotta love you and your Modish titles! :lol: I must confess I have a little giggle everytime I see you welcome someone (as Mod)... what would it be like if you welcome someone as Viv?! *gasp*

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 12:09 pm

Whew! I had fun last night. I went to a concert, and the weather has been fairly good since the hurricane went the other way; so my mood has been generally good lately. I have a massive headache though, so I have to avoid my brother and any other kind of stress. I'm just "happy" the weather is back to being sunny. I don't like good and sunshiny weather, but my mood does.

Katze wrote:
People will support you if you let them, sooner or later you will have to go into Life, maybe into a Job, unless you are planning to enter a Sheltered Worskshop making Coathangers, and you're to smart for that. You won't be able to arrange people around you in life insofar as to give them a warning, if you expect that then you will be disappointed.

I'm im highschool, have a job, and I'm not trying to be a narcissist and arrange the world around me; just learn how to deal with myself.

PhoenixKitten wrote:
If this is your idea of a joke, I don't find it funny.

Thanks for the nice rant, even though I was lmao at his comments. I found his lack of knowledge entertaining.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2005, 12:11 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Does seasonal affective disorder usually come with permanent personality alterations even after the mood episode has resolved itself?

My last one left me pretty emotionally scarred, I might do some major researching today into all these things. I've been trying to get my family to see a shrink for some time because of different reasons, but money is an issue.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 2:37 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Thanks for the nice rant, even though I was lmao at his comments. I found his lack of knowledge entertaining.

I'm glad! The kitty was worried! Oh, and btw, I believe Katze is a she! :wink:

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 9:32 am

SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) sounds like it might be a contributing factor. I am heading into my depression also. The thing is I (just learned this all thanks Sean) am also Bipolar and SAD combined with Bipolar can make for a predicitble cycle of mania to depression. I am coming off my mania and free falling into depression as I do every year.

I too have used St. Johns Wart in the past and it does seem to help. I also use zoloft to regulate my seritonin. I appears as my doc and I go over my history that seritonin is the best medicine for me. I can't take depakote because of liver problems and there is some concern over me using lithim due to other factors.

Anyway the thing is you are not alone and I hit a horrible free fall and depression around 17 because factors in my life were very stressful so life can really make it all worse.

Vent as needed.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 9:44 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

My last one left me pretty emotionally scarred, I might do some major researching today into all these things. I've been trying to get my family to see a shrink for some time because of different reasons, but money is an issue.

I have found the issue is that you have behaved very unlike your self and that creates a situation in your enviroment. No matter if you recover (which might not happen till the season changes) you have to deal with the affect it had on others and their reactions to you.

The big problem is that the depression and anger etc. can last for a long time depending on the weather and how soon you can get what you need from the sun, wind etc. One thing that can help if it is sun related is vitamin D because that is what you body produces from the sun and it depletes as you are not in the sun that often.

Sarcastic you may have hit early and harder due to the changes in normal weather due to Katrina.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2005, 12:18 pm

yealc wrote:
Sarcastic, you may have hit early and harder due to the changes in normal weather due to Katrina.

Y

I did. Once it passed, I was back to being myself (mostly); but I'm still feeling some of the effects of it. Katrina triggered it, but I don't think it'll go away until Spring.