Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:37 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful responses. But I still tire of pretending. I feel like the entire NT world is lie, and I don't understand why that is best?

Isn't being who we are, all people, the highest achievment?

If you pretend to be someone you are not to gain friends, are they really your friends, or the friends of the person you are pretending to be?

Best,

Idaho Aspie
www.AllThingsAspergers.com

Even NTs get sick of the NT world. If you want a book about somebody with Aspergers who has simular struggles in the world we live in, read Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey through Autism by Dawn Prince Hughes
It is the best book I've EVER read, and I read at least 10 books a month :D

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 2:35 am

ebec11 wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful responses. But I still tire of pretending. I feel like the entire NT world is lie, and I don't understand why that is best?

If you pretend to be someone you are not to gain friends, are they really your friends, or the friends of the person you are pretending to be?

Best,

Idaho Aspie

Even NTs get sick of the NT world. If you want a book about somebody with Aspergers who has simular struggles in the world we live in, read Songs of the Gorilla Nation: My Journey through Autism by Dawn Prince Hughes
It is the best book I've EVER read, and I read at least 10 books a month :D

Thanks for recommending that book. I think I will try to get a copy.

If you read so many books. Perhaps you should consider joining our Autism Book club. We like people like you : )

Our website is here: www.AllThingsAspergers.com

Best Regards,

Idaho Aspie

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:18 am

TrueDave wrote:
The NT world tells us if we persist we will overcome.

One of their many lies. Right up there with "you can be whatever you want to be" and "do what you love, the money will follow".

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 3:20 am

IdahoAspie wrote:
But I still tire of pretending. I feel like the entire NT world is lie, and I don't understand why that is best?

Right there with you.

IdahoAspie wrote:

Er, I'd have to say that depends who we are. ;)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 8:14 am

I don't know if I'll be able to, as I can't afford to buy a new book every month, even if I love the subject. I don't have a job at the moment, so when I do I'll probably join.
If you were wondering how fast I can read, do you know the size of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I read that in less then four hours :P

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:36 am

ebec11 wrote:
I don't know if I'll be able to, as I can't afford to buy a new book every month, even if I love the subject. I don't have a job at the moment, so when I do I'll probably join.
If you were wondering how fast I can read, do you know the size of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I read that in less then four hours :P

Well, I certainly hope you will get a job soon and join us.

It is hard to believe that someone that can read as quickly as you doesn't have a job. I know if I was like President of some corporation or a high ranking Senator or something, I would want someone like you on my staff : )

Best of luck to you!

Idaho Aspie

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 12:58 am

IdahoAspie wrote:

If you move to a foreign country and you want to fit in and make friends, you have to adapt, learn the language, and understand the culture. I think it's the same way with AS in an NT world. You aren't pretending when you act NT. It's not like all NTs are the same. You can follow social norms and still be yourself.

For example, I read that Asians view direct eye contact as a form of disrespect. If Asians want a good chance at getting a job in America, they will have to adjust and make eye contact. I don't see why we can't do the same.

If you tire of acting NT, then I suggest only acting NT when it's important. For example, only talk to people you want to be friends with and ignore people you aren't interested in. If you're around people you don't know, you can act however you want and it won't hurt you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 1:07 am

I've stopped playing the game years, ago.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 5:27 am

Me too, Cockney.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2008, 9:06 am

ebec11 wrote:
I hate being scared of talking though, because I have no clue if I'm going to say is going to offend anybody :(

That is so frustrating for me too! :x