Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 1:37 pm

Im a bit slow of da mark so therefore i end not saying anything as i come across as a quiet person.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 1:37 pm

mmaestro wrote:
The French actually have a word for this. Loosely translated, it comes out as "walking down stairs thoughts," the perfect riposte you thought of while you're walking down the stairs away from a person.

The phrase is esprit d'escalier, or esprit de l'escalier, meaning "staircase wit" - as you said, you thought of the perfect reply on your way down the stairs.

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 1:50 pm

I actually alternate between the two extremes, depending on the company I'm in. Sometimes I'm kind of obnoxiously blunt and crazy. Other times I can relate to you, and will keep my mouth shut and do anything I can to avoid trouble. That's usually when I'm getting completely overloaded in a situation, which happens often. I shut down. I have trouble articulating my thoughts into words too sometimes, unfortunately I've not learned to shut my mouth at these times. Have something profound in my head and all that seems to come out is "BLAAAAHHHHHHHH" ::drool::

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2008, 2:32 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I use to never say anything, i was a mute

Me too.

Mute at primary and junior school though we moved several times and after one of those times I started to talk more.

Windlord
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2008, 11:19 am

xyzyxx wrote:
That reminds me of another thing that happens to me. If I'm walking through the hallway and someone walking in the opposite direction says hello to me, it usually takes me half second to process the fact that I should respond, and it takes another half second to actually formulate an appropriate response... but the person is gone by then.

I used to do that. I've actually managed to program myself to respond to a hi or what's up with hi back automatically.

On a side not, does anyone else feel weird to answer a what's up with hi, instead of actually saying how your really doing? It almost feels rude, even if I know the other person isn't interested at all in how I really feel or what is up with my life. (well usually. Some people really do care though.)

Peace,

Windlord.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:26 am

Yes, it doesn't make sense, another illogical thing to sort out quickly in my head.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm a motor mouth when I'm stuck with people. I'm nervous and talk to try and make myself feel less threatened so I guess that's why I talk. Usually I'm able to make people laugh so it's not as bad as it could be.

Sometimes my temperament is good for quiet people who wish that they could say more. My husband and son are the quiet types until my type of energy makes them finallly feel more bold about talking.

I was stuck between two very, very quiet, shy geeky guys on an airplane. I started talking to both of them because I felt so nervous stuck where I was. Eventually, they began talking and talking and really having fun. I was the catalyst. When the plane landed, I did what I usually do. I rushed over to the flight attendant area because I am in danger of going into a claustrophobic panic when I'm waiting for the plane to empty. I noticed that the two geeks had followed me. They looked so happy to be carrying on converstations with me and the flight attendants.

I felt relief that these guys liked the socialization. I hate my motor mouth and wish that I could just be quiet. calmly observing.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:25 pm

I get pretty verbose, even through shoe leather...;)

I do tend to avoid arguments (unrelated thought - why do women sometimes say 'we need to fight', when I'm only going to lose?...;), and have memorized hundreds of things not to talk about because they'll only @#$% someone off...:|

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 10:31 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
I've heard that Aspies usually say whatever's on their mind.

This is not the case with me, as I have a strong aversion to conflict and disagreement. Whenever I think about saying something, I analyze several factors and usually I determine that the possibility of starting an argument is too great and I'd probably be better off not saying it. I also have slow communication skills, which means if someone questions the idea I am trying to convey, I have a hard time answering those questions sometimes.

What do you guys think? Do any of you do the same thing?

Certainly Agree 100%.
It's just not worth talking sometimes.

JayM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2008, 1:00 am

Sounds exactly like me. There's one thing I hate and that's arguments/disagreements (that could be two things). I'll do whatever it takes to prevent one from occurring. There's been too many and I don't think I can handle many more.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2008, 1:02 am

I related to almost everyone here actually...I tend to analyse, hang back with my opinion and weigh it up. Will it cause a fight? Then perhaps I should just shut up. I also have that problem of thinking of something smart later...but I think even NTs do that. Other times, like OregonBecky said I'll just motor mouth because I'm nervous. Or if I really get going on a rant, then I'll suddenly be very opinionated.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:33 am

Keoren wrote:
Exactly. First I process who the person is, why he initiated the action and what the action meant, then I must think of how to react myself.
I recently discovered a bit of a defense mechanism that formed in my brain... in order to mask the fact that I take longer to process things, I will often ask the person to repeat themselves (say what?) And this gives me enough time to answer immediately.

Of course, using this tactic on someone saying hi to you in a hallway would be rather silly.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 10:14 am

there are people i don't want to interact with (or have no reason to believe i want to interact with them)........ so i don't give them another thought. i don't feel that i SHOULD have to or want to interact with them.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2008, 11:48 am

I avoid fights/arguments as much as possible. so if it looks like it in any way could go in that direction. I don't say it (i will actually run through the convo in my head so that i feel like it finished, but avoid the confrontation anyway). but in my conversation with family and my one or two actual friends (or people that i have to interact with at work) i talk a lot usually about things no one wants to listen to.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm

I usually don't ever say what I'm thinking, but when I think out loud, it's mostly not directed at anybody. Sometimes.

The way I see it, thoughts are private.

Does that make any sense? :?

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:13 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I usually don't ever say what I'm thinking, but when I think out loud, it's mostly not directed at anybody. Sometimes.

The way I see it, thoughts are private.

Does that make any sense? :?
That does make sense, but what I'm referring to in this thread is refraining from striking up a conversation with someone or responding to a statement they make.