Thimerosal and Autism - A Scientific Perspective

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 7:36 am

SilverProteus wrote:
What if...there were more than one triggers for autistic behaviors, more than one way to "get" autism and, especially, more than one types of "autism"? What if some examples of what we think are autistic behaviors are actually manifestations of another very similar disorder with different triggers?

I'm just speculating here, but it seems to be hardly simple.

I'm not saying I believe vaccines cause autism, but, coupled with individual factors such as genetic predisposition they might cause something that was not otherwise 'hardwired' in the brain which mimics autistic symptoms.

I'd be inclined to agree that this would more likely be the case. Things are never simple when it comes to something as broad as autism.

And I thought this was just satire too? I thought it was kinda funny...

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2008, 7:49 am

TLPG wrote:
No, Mark, unfortunately this isn't satire. This is serious - and downright dangerous. And there are too many people responding to him as well (one less - ie myself - won't make much difference). If I was a mod I would have thrown Zendell out a long time ago. But I'm not so I guess we have to put up with it.

This is fascism and it is also somewhat dangerous.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:08 am

Why was Zendell banned by the way??

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:02 am

He's not banned.

- Emerson

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:14 am

Oh? It says under his name 'banned' on my screen. :?:

Ah well, I hope not - perhaps it's a silly prank... Zendell, change your status thing!!

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:17 am

LeKiwi wrote:
Ah well, I hope not - perhaps it's a silly prank... Zendell, change your status thing!!

Then he'd have to come up with a new way to troll. :?

There really ought to be some way to prevent people from putting "Banned" as their custom rank.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:55 am

Don't banned people have a red cross as well? :lol:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 11:18 am

Yeah, we don't allow that.

- Emerson

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Oh? It says under his name 'banned' on my screen. :?:

I'm glad you support me. I think a bunch of people here want me banned so I decided to put Banned as my custom rank. I'll have to be creative and think of something else.

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

Thimerosal was banned in vaccines in California back in the late 90s. Autism rates in the state have been unaffected.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:11 pm

zendell wrote:
I'm glad you support me. I think a bunch of people here want me banned so I decided to put Banned as my custom rank. I'll have to be creative and think of something else.

You're far from the first to have put that as a custom rank, so originality would also be appreciated. :D

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2008, 12:02 am

Well, there's a space between the autism rates and the removal of thimerosal from vaccines. The numbers are small, and with the give and take of the increase/decrease of autism rates, there's evidence that supports that Thimerosal may have indeed caused autism in a small, small percentage of cases. Of course, because of the general ambiguity of the numbers, it isn't concrete. But there is a possibility. As well, it has been proven that there is a genetic deletion that occured only in a few individuals with Autism.

So it's similar to the argument made about tobacco. Some people get cancer, but it's not all because of cigarettes.

Also, from what I've seen of comparing Autism rates, both against a US national average, and the 1 in 150 numbers, then there's a gap where Thimerosal would fit as being one of the causes of autism. I also compared the Canadian national numbers, and Canada phased out thimerosal completely in 1996. The numbers coincide; however, that was between a state and an entire country...

Anyways, I look forward to some good discussions. :)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:07 am

Exactly. I don't think anyone is suggesting thimerosal is the ONLY cause of autism, just that it could be ONE OF MANY causes affecting SOME people.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 4:16 am

I found this one to be interesting. I'm not sure on what to think of the thimerosal-autism link. In spite of all, autism rates go up still. Pervasive Developmental Disorders in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Prevalence and Links With Immunizations The question would be, if there's a link between thimerosal and autism, whether it's important enough to investigate further into vaccination of all things or not.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2008, 4:40 am

LeKiwi, I couldn't agree with you more. :D

Sora, you bring up a good point with that study. I wonder... Do those rates of increase match rates of increase in the other provinces? As well, the number of cases are 0.00648% of the subjects, or 180 out of 27749. 1 in 150 is 0.00666% but... I read somewhere that another number(evidently more accurate or something) was 1 in 166, meaning 0.00602%. Thus, there is a statistical gap. The numbers represents all ASDs. So there is a small statistical gap where it would appear to be accurate... but really, it would need to be compared to other provincial rates, in an average, to determine if it is above or below that average.

Of course, most of what I'm going on may be a little fuzzy ,because I've stayed up too late agian. Good night, before I fall asleep at the keyboard.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 5:31 am

silentchaos wrote:
TLPG wrote:
No, Mark, unfortunately this isn't satire. This is serious - and downright dangerous. And there are too many people responding to him as well (one less - ie myself - won't make much difference). If I was a mod I would have thrown Zendell out a long time ago. But I'm not so I guess we have to put up with it.

This is fascism and it is also somewhat dangerous.

How is that facism? If a person is dangerous what else do you do?

LeKiwi wrote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting thimerosal is the ONLY cause of autism

The mercury militia are. They hang to the creation of thiomersal as the creation day of Autism like grim death.