Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:36 pm

Orwell wrote:
I don't believe I ever claimed science to be omnipotent. In fact, I think my previous post would imply the opposite. Further, I somewhat doubt the method you claim to have used. I'm not really sure what exactly you're babbling about, though, so I can't say much more at this point.

Let me ask you a question, what do you think of this: http://www.fablevision.com/smartmoves/index.php

You think something like that does work or is it a scam?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:49 pm

Being in better physical shape will tend to improve cognitive function in general. I doubt that a series of stretches or such could rewire the brain to eliminate autism.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

Orwell wrote:
I doubt that a series of stretches or such could rewire the brain to eliminate autism.

And there you have it, that's the reason i can't go around screaming "I found the cure!! ! I found the cure!! ! come one come all!!", the cure i found is too simple to be believed, so i have to keep it to myself until i find a scientific explanation of why it worked. I have months of hard research ahead of me, and i'm setting myself up to be hated by the anti-cure establishment, but it's all worth it if i get to save the lives of those about to suicide.

At least i got to know what it's like to know something so far ahead of your time, that people think you are delusional whenever you bring it up. People are still saying "there will never be a cure unless the government pours a trillion dollars into research", when in my private world the cure was found for free almost two years ago.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 10:05 pm

You seem rather frustrated. Frankly, I don't want a cure because I'm not defective. I have social difficulties, it is true, but those are getting better all the time and I can work around them. Improving one's social skills hardly qualifies as "curing" autism- alex does pretty well on a social level, that doesn't mean he's no longer autistic.

Even so, I am beginning to be more intrigued. How exactly do you feel this particular intervention has helped you? Could you give more details about exactly what it entails? If it sounds interesting and at least semi-plausible, I just may give your method a try over the summer when I have more time.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:20 am

Orwell wrote:
I don't want a cure because I'm not defective.

We're not defective. Being aspie is a permanent state of mind, like being forever drunk or being in a comma. That's why it's so easy to cure, cuz it's not a physical defect.

Orwell wrote:
Improving one's social skills hardly qualifies as "curing" autism- alex does pretty well on a social level, that doesn't mean he's no longer autistic.

lol why you bring up Alex? he is the hero of the aspies now? He is as aspie as can be. He and all other successful aspies have the same neurology than the loner aspies, they work hard on improving their behavior but don't get to change their neurology, they just turn their lives into a big charade. They are not in the neurological middle ground between aspieness and normality, i'm probably the only one who has been there and trust me it's not a pretty place. Aspieness and normality are two coherent states of being and you can stay there for life, the middle ground isn't, it's like having an animal with half dog and half cat organs, it's incoherent, is a dark, confusing place to be. I stayed there for too long last time (for research purposes of course) and it was f*****g me up. When you are there you can't make choices because you don't know yourself, you don't know what option will make you happier.

As for the issue of whether i'm cured it's quite simple: I had all the symptoms mentioned by the DSM-IV and now i don't have any, therefore i was aspie and now i can't call myself aspie anymore, therefore i'm cured and the process i went thru can be called a cure.

Orwell wrote:
I just may give your method a try over the summer when I have more time.

Summer sounds great, fits well into my schedule, cya in the summer then, hope you're still around.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:23 pm

fernando wrote:
Orwell wrote:
I don't want a cure because I'm not defective.

We're not defective. Being aspie is a permanent state of mind, like being forever drunk or being in a comma. That's why it's so easy to cure, cuz it's not a physical defect.

Interesting take on things.

Orwell wrote:
Improving one's social skills hardly qualifies as "curing" autism- alex does pretty well on a social level, that doesn't mean he's no longer autistic.

fernando wrote:
lol why you bring up Alex? he is the hero of the aspies now? He is as aspie as can be. He and all other successful aspies have the same neurology than the loner aspies, they work hard on improving their behavior but don't get to change their neurology, they just turn their lives into a big charade. They are not in the neurological middle ground between aspieness and normality,

No, I just used him as an example I assumed you would be familiar with. I could as easily have used myself or several people you don't know.

fernando wrote:
As for the issue of whether i'm cured it's quite simple: I had all the symptoms mentioned by the DSM-IV and now i don't have any, therefore i was aspie and now i can't call myself aspie anymore, therefore i'm cured and the process i went thru can be called a cure.

Orwell wrote:
I just may give your method a try over the summer when I have more time.

Summer sounds great, fits well into my schedule, cya in the summer then, hope you're still around.

All right then. Do you want me to give you a PM when summer rolls around?

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:28 pm

who in thier right mind would wan to be normal? Normal is boring and ordinary. No way!! !! !! !! !!
And i defintly wouldnt want to be cured.thats changing me. And i dont want to change. curing someone is taking away the right to who they are and i would never want that

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:58 pm

grats... you should win nobel prize as you've just beat the entire field of behavioral psychology to the punchline.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

This is very interesting.

I have been gluten and casein free for the last six months because I remembered how much more outward and in the world and with people, and "soft"/fuzzy/warm/less "crystaline", but also "strong"/solid, i felt the first time I ever went on an exclusion diet, but, as I said on the thread in Members Only this last week or so, I have to admit that although it definitely clears up my depression, and hypo-manic tendencies, aswell as digestive problems etc, it has not brought me the whole package of that first go, and so i have to suspect that the exercise I was also doing that year, ( swimming, aerobics/stretching, aswell as scrambling/walking, and Tai-chi), had something to do with the positive effects.

I have recently been reading about proprioceptive-system development, and its importance in constructing the brain, how movement is involved in thinking, aswell as how reduced physical activity on a new task reduces the number of neuronal/synaptic connections made.

I also think school has a lot to answer for!! :wink: This time it would be for all the sitting still that it involves!

So, I'm intrigued/curious. Maybe there's quite a lot of "environmentally produced" "AS"/"aspies" around, who wouldn't be as "AS" if had been able to run around all childhood.

How long did you have to follow the programme, Fernando? How intensely/frequently? Did you use any other method/approach at the same time? How old are you? Is there an age limit recognised by the organisers? Is it intended mainly as a preventative tool for children?

Movement. Hunter-gatherer activity, in all directions.

The longest lasting ( 10 months ), most satisfying sexual-relationship in my life happened with a french guy when I hardly spoke or understood french yet, so i have thought it might have been the absence of language use which made the difference, but it was also the year I spent picking apples and pears on farms , and herding goats, and walking and hitching, for almost 4 months in total, in the sunshine.

hmm. It's so difficult to make myself do it though, when I don't have to, ( as when i was hitching without money in france), or not in majorly obsessive perfectionist mode ( as I when was into all the exercise activities 6 years before that).

:study:

Last edited by ouinon on 20 Apr 2008, 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:29 pm

2 weeks... from what i gathered.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Alexey
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2008, 5:31 pm

Orwell wrote:
I doubt that modern science has yet devised a way to so dramatically alter your neuroanatomy. You don't just magically develop empathy, if your mirror neurons were nonfunctional before I doubt that could suddenly have started working.

Human brain is rather flexible, may be it is possible to improve mirror neurons functions by training or even use another, non-typical ways for developing empathy.

fernando wrote:
I didn't use science, i discovered that your movements are connected to your psychology, if you move like an anxious person for a few days, your psychology becomes permanently anxious

Sounds rather realistic. I've used (and continue to use) simular principles for correcting AS traits, but regulating internal emotional state is important too. But in my case it is not a fast way.

fernando wrote:

Mind is based on physical processes in brain, so AS traits may be a result of abnormal work of some brain structures (of course, it doesn't mean the impossibility of "fixing"). But it is very interesting, how did you manage to rewire your brain so quickly?

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:09 pm

Next Week on Extraordinary Transformations - How A Human Became a Giraffe in Just Three Years. See it to believe it, folks.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:07 pm

wow!! now i'm regretting having bumped the thread, i have a lot of testing and researching to do before i'll start welcoming this kind of attention.

Sedaka wrote:
grats... you should win nobel prize as you've just beat the entire field of behavioral psychology to the punchline.

:heart: :heart: :heart: Looks like i found me a new sig...

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:11 pm

How would moving like a non-anxious person (even if, in all cases, it worked) "cure" autistic people whose autistic traits don't have a particularly strong root in anxiety? :?

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:23 pm

I'll update on my experiences, since the thread is bumped anyway.

I've been consistently NT for over a month now. It's been weeks since the big changes stopped happening. That was a bit weird because i had gotten used to noticing new changes in me every few days or daily sometimes, for the last two years since i started experimenting with my exercises. Then the changes stopped happening and i was a bit disappointed, like "This is it? This is full normality? I don't feel all that different", but it was, i was normal and there was nothing new to expect. After that i started to settle down, getting used to being normal. For a few days i thought the process was over, but i was wrong, i still have lots of adjusting to go through.

It's my mental changes that have stopped, but my life is barely starting to get normal. By the way the last change i noticed was that my hands don't sweat anymore. When i was aspie they would sweat a lot everytime i held a paper or someones hand. That stopped early in april.

People can read me now, and that makes me feel uncomfortable, like exposed and vulnerable. When i was aspie no one could guess my moods, they would think i was happy when i was actually mad or think i was sad when i was just daydreaming. Now if i'm sad, they know it, if i'm happy they know it, if i'm anxious they know it, if i have a problem in my mind they notice right away.

When i go out, i don't wanna get back home, i do whatever it takes to stay out, and that's having an impact in my economy. My phone bill keeps rising... and rising.

I lose things more often, but i find them much faster. When i was aspie i would look for something in three or four places over and over again, now i just look once in every spot and then move on and i find whatever i was looking for in minutes. It's like my ideas flow better now. I definitely didn't lose intelligence as i became normal, and i spend just as much time thinking now as when i was aspie, just that i don't think in moving pictures anymore, now it's all words, ideas and still pictures inside my head.

My room has changed. It used to be dark and hot, the wall was full of writtings from my research of aspergers and psychology, and there was always lots to do in there. Now i've made it brighter, fresh and i'm filling the walls with pretty pictures and posters. And there's nothing fun to do in there anymore other than sleep. I reckon it might have something to do with me getting rid of my directv and tv a few months ago.

A nice thing is that now i understand NTs better, now i know exactly why they chat about the weather.

I still like to get a bit aspie somedays, but i dont make a good aspie anymore, just like half aspie. I mean, i know i can get back to full aspieness if i wanted to, but it would take like a month and i can't afford that, i can't afford to be aspie again, i have things to do, i need my social skills, i'm becoming addicted to them. Maybe i'm being irrational, i lived many years without social skills, why am I so afraid to lose them now? I know it would be great for my research to go aspie again, but at least i gotta wait until one month after i get a job, i don't wanna be in job interviews in aspie mode.

Getting a job is becoming a need, i need a job with people around me, I think I could live the rest of my life alone but interacting with people every five minutes sounds like lots of fun now, fun i'm not having.

Being with family is a problem, somehow i go back to aspie mode when i'm with them, and like i said, it's not even full aspie, it's more like a fake aspie state or half aspie, i think shallow aspie is a better term, i look and behave aspie on the surface altough my inner psychology is NT. Whenever i'm with friends or strangers it's easy to be my new NT self... but family somehow pulls me back to aspieness, i am too used to being aspie in front of them. The closest relatives are the ones who pull me the most. With far relatives i'm slowly showing my NT side, but with my mother it's probably gonna take a year or just never happen. I suspect this has a lot to do with the fact that when i was aspie i didn't "pretend to be normal", i suspect aspies who do pretend and then take my exercise are not gonna have this issue.

I noticed that now i like girls who are strong and confident. This is very interesting: when i was aspie, i liked aspieness in girls, now that i'm strong and relaxed, i like girls who are relaxed and confident.

The feeling of wanting to say something so someone and not daring to is an old and faded memory now.

I loves: I love it when someone tries to dominate me and i verbally push them back. I love how i stand up for my self, automatically, it's not like i'm trying to, it just happens. I love how strong my voice sounds now. I love how smooth my body moves, feels like it weights half of what it used to. I love saying the right things in the right moments.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:25 pm

anbuend wrote:
How would moving like a non-anxious person (even if, in all cases, it worked) "cure" autistic people whose autistic traits don't have a particularly strong root in anxiety? :?

What on earth makes you think i know the answer to that question woman? :?