Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

toboo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2008, 8:36 pm

i'm terrified of bees or any thing that can fly and sting. always have been. i've been able to temper it a bit, so i don't freak out the kidlets.

but, man, i want all wasps to DIE! DIE! DIE!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:44 pm

Mikomi wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
Daewoodrow wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
If it's any consolation, most of them die a short while after they sting you.

Not wasps. Oh how evil is the wasp! A creature which makes no honey, will attack on a whim, and not only can it attack repeatedly, it will do so. Just because.

I heard their sting hurts more too, but I can't say; I've never been stung by a wasp.

It hurts a LOT MORE. For a comparison, a bee sting is like someone throwing a stick at you, and a wasp/hornet sting is like someone beating you with a baseball bat repeatedly.

Now you've gotten me afraid of wasps. 8O

I remember when my sister got stung by a wasp...*shudder*

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:56 pm

I am not afraid of bees or wasps, but sometimes they can be annoying. I don't like it when I am at a BarBQue during the summer and I have to cover my soda or juice to keep yellowjackets out. Yellowjackets are somewhat temperamental and are quite fond of any sweet drink that is left out. Plus they like to sting.

I have fruit trees, and wasps and bees will show up in the dozens or hundreds when the trees are flowering or when the tree fruit is very ripe. I don't mind the insects, I will even stand in the midst of them and watch them buzz all around me. It usually is when I have to clean up any fallen overripe fruit, that the wasps can get mean. But even then they don't sting unless you really annoy them or squish one.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

I had never been stung by a bee until recently. It was on the sole of my foot, and it didn't hurt too badly (I kind of enjoyed it), but it was more the surprise that got me, and the insult of it! How dare ya little bee!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:31 pm

The Sting Topic

:evil: Bees are bad. Hornets are harassing and wasps are the worst. Friggin' wasps! You cannot hear them coming. Sneaky beggars! :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Scarlet_N
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2008, 9:34 pm

I was stung by a wasp in grade school. I was standing in the lunch line and my leg hurt really bad. I looked down and a wasp was attached to me 8O it sucked badly.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 9:38 pm

a hornet would be the worst, my friend got one stuck in his trousers, the he went to put them on ......

ShizzleMacDaddy

08 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
a hornet would be the worst, my friend got one stuck in his trousers, the he went to put them on ......

go on.....

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:18 am

Mikomi wrote:
Okay, I'll admit it, I run like hell when I see (or hear) a bee. I am utterly terrified of being stung. I think it's my aspie-ness and my aversion to certain sensory input.

I'm not a wimp when it comes to pain, it isn't that. I don't like being taken off guard by some tiny little insect that has the power to produce a nasty sharp pain, possibly when I don't even know it and definitely when I'm not prepared. I can handle pain I am prepared for. I delivered 9 and 10 pound babies without a drop of pain medication. But I was ready, I expected it.

The worst part of this is that they seem attracted to me like a magnet.

Anyhow, anyone else terrified of bees or have a similar issue?

I am not afraid of just one bee but I am more weary of a swarm.

I have got stung by a bee 3 or more time but I know I can avoid it.

When doing garbage duty some each year for non-profit, I deal with swarm of bee when dumping garbage. I even manage to in it while it flying around. I just simply talk to the bees to keep my fear down.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:22 am

I fear no insect.

Bites don't bother me (I've been bitten by all of the flying stingers around here, hornets, wasps, bees, etcetera), but that's probably because I have a high pain threshold.

O, and I'm also kinda "numb" to being startled.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 12:59 am

Bee stings make me swell up.
There you go, you learned my kryptonite.

Gabbaruchi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2008, 6:23 am

I find when I'm afraid of something the best thing I can do for myself is try to learn as much about what I fear as possible. Knowing more about it helps me be less afraid. I was terrified of bees and wasps as far back as I can remember. voiceofthehive dot com* is a site by a beekeeper with real writing skills. Reading it got me over my fear of bees, and now I'm seriously considering taking up bee-keeping.

Read through that site and see if you don't come out feeling sorry for bees whenever you see one. I find myself rooting for them.

I'm still extremely nervous of wasps, though. But after a close encounter with one in a safe situation (caught it in a jar and kept it in my office for a few hours before I put it outside), I see them as they are now... the wolves of the insect world... rather than as the intrinsically evil creatures I saw them as previously.

Oh, I still jump when something buzzes by my ear, but I don't run away anymore.

On the subject of biting ladybugs... if it bit you, it probably wasn't a real ladybug, but an Asian Lady Beetle (look 'em up on Wikipedia). These guys bite like mad and STINK. True ladybugs are far rarer than these pests and much better behaved.

*(Sorry for not including links, apparently I'm too new to the forum to post real URLs :roll: )

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:00 am

I hate bee, or anything that flies and has a stinger(although I've never been stung I would like it to stay that way)

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:12 am

I HATE BEES. Hate em! If I see a bee I will leave the area, and if I can't leave (because I'm in the middle of class or something) I will keep my eyes on it and make sure it doesn't get near me.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 9:28 am

ShizzleMacDaddy wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:

go on.....

:lol: It stung him

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:39 am

I don't think it's an aspie thing. Bees sting, and stings hurt. simple as that. I love honey, but I don't like being near bees. I dislike yellow-jackets even more--- bees will usually sting only if they feel threatened ( since a bee dies after stinging--- it is usually a last ditch thing). Hornets and yellow-jackets seem to enjoy stinging because they can sting repeatedly. They hurt, too.