Page 2 of 17 [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

zee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:58 am

40% seems a tad high. Many of the people with this attitude also seem to be younger people, so it`s not surprising that they would be so defensive (which is different than being a snob), and it`s likely just a phase they`re going through.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2008, 12:21 pm

I believe in equality. I have met very few aspies (or suspected aspies), but in general there seem to be as many stupid aspies as NTs, although I must admit that the aspies are usually stupid in much intellectual ways.

But as I said, I haven’t really met a lot other aspies, so on average they could be much smarter or much dumber than NTs for all I know. And in any case, what I think of as “intelligence” is just the set of traits and abilities that I… believe in (because I can’t think of a better way to say it.) So even if I would one day find out that I think many aspies are actually more intelligent, that would not mean that I would claim superiority over anyone, since I would still be very well aware that I’m only using my own personal idea of intelligence, and therefore others may be intelligent in ways I haven’t even considered.

I don’t know if this makes sense. I realise that I have some problems with expressing myself. I struggle and fail with just how I’m supposed to turn my thoughts into clear sentences.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm

does no one involved in this thread understand sarcasm?

Tormod
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

Willard wrote:

I don't.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 12:57 pm

Willard wrote:

I don't think NeantHumain is being sarcastic.

Tormod wrote:
I don't.

In that case, you shouldn't use Hobbes as your avatar. He's the most sarcastic tiger I know.

Tormod
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2008, 1:03 pm

I was talking about human sarcasm. I understand feline sarcasm well enough.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:07 pm

Tormod wrote:
I was talking about human sarcasm. I understand feline sarcasm well enough.

Mrow.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:10 pm

I'm not an aspiesnob. I'm a PROUD Aspiesnob.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:35 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
  • Believes aspies are smarter
  • Believes aspies should be recipients of welfare for their "disability" (yet means of superiority) instead of having to engage in work as the hoi-poloi do
  • Believes autists possess a different set of social skills that enable them to communicate among each other but not among NTs
  • Believes aspies are more creative
  • Believes aspies are more logical
  • Blames NTs for all problems

Fellow aspie, I know you are not one of these autisnobs, but the time is ripe to challenge them. Let's call them out and see what they have to say!

I think part of this is society's fault. I'm not condoning it or saying I agree with the NT prejudice crap (I find it annoying to say the least). However, people on the spectrum often learn life in scripts. This "autisnob" mentality is basically a reversal of the neurotypical superiority role. I suspect that it's just a natural result of a lousy process.

The "autisnob" mentality does lack personal accountability, and without that there really is no personal growth - but instead an endless cycle of playing victim and laying blame. Bullies suck, but neurotypicals are not the sole cause of all of the problems autistic individuals face, I agree.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 2:13 pm

Quote:
neurotypicals are not the sole cause of all of the problems autistic individuals face, I agree.

And what's the other cause?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 2:31 pm

Greentea wrote:
Quote:
neurotypicals are not the sole cause of all of the problems autistic individuals face, I agree.

And what's the other cause?

Are you asking that for real or did you meant to use sarcasm? Sorry, I'm confused.

Other problems that autistic people form all over the spectrum may face can include (not limited to):

- speech and language problems
- uncontrollable and too strict/too timely routines
- inability to learn or to keep a wide range of self-help skills
- heightened or dampened or otherwise irregular sensory perception
- motor and coordination problems
- attention deficits

That's the few I can think of right away that can cause autistic people problems from mild to severe too.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 2:34 pm

Thanks for saving me all the typing Sora.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

Interesting, I never had any of those, except mild motor coordination problems that never affected my life outside ball games and athletics. Any more examples of problems with being Aspies other than being in a rejected minority?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

What a load of crap.

'Nuf said?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
[*] Believes aspies should be recipients of welfare for their "disability" (yet means of superiority) instead of having to engage in work as the hoi-poloi do

I can see how this would be a hypocritical belief to hold in conjunction with the belief that those on the spectrum are superior to other people.

However, in order to qualify for an ASD diagnosis, the ASD symptoms must be making it extremely difficult or impossible to do one or more of the following:

-hold a job / earn a living

-get an education

-perform basic self-care tasks such as eating, cleaning, and paying bills

-interact with other people or have some semblance of a social life

Therefore, in order to be diagnosed, one must be at least partially disabled by the ASD. That does not mean that every aspie and autist is disabled in a way that qualifies them to receive welfare. A lot of aspies hold jobs and support themselves successfully. Some cannot.

IMO, if someone has a condition that prevents them from holding a job, they have every right to consder themselves disabled and request the same assistance available to other disabled people. I don't think an individual's beliefs have anything to do with this basic reality.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 3:42 pm

Well, I don't know about snobbery.

I guess based on your definitions I could be classed as a snob.
Except for a few things:
I don't beleive Autistics are superior to Neurotypicals.
I DO hate Neurotypicals. They have made my life miserable. Pin whatever psychological analysis you like to that statement.
It is a fact that Autistics are more likely to be intelligent than neurotypicals. That's not my belief, it's a fact.
I don't believe I should get benefits. I'm perfectly able bodied. I turn down most of my University's help, I just want the diagnosis.
I do beleive most Neurotypicals are destructively illogical.
I don't beleive Autistics would do a better job running the world.

I don't disagree with the cure concept because it would "take away my superiority", I disagree because YOU CAN'T CURE AUTISM. It's impossible. Autism is your brain, there is no Neurotypical person hiding under damaged circuitry.
I disagree with the idea of vaccinations causing Autism because i'm a scientist, and there is no proof.