Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 6:29 pm

My freedoms end where another's freedoms begin. You'll poo-poo this, SotiCoto, but it's nonetheless true.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 7:46 pm

SotiCoto wrote:
They do what they're paid to do and I do what I'm paid to do... and matters of worth or supposed social station don't come into it past that.
As such, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

You must not work for a large corporation. Hierarchy is everything (as is bureaucracy).

SotiCoto wrote:
That is all fine and well if you are debating something...
... But I view certain measures of personal attack and how others respond to them to be a test of their character and their will. It isn't for the purpose of actually bringing them to my way of understanding, as a completely different tactical approach is needed for that (and I don't tend to do that with strangers, since they're only objects until they prove themselves subjects).... but rather a means of determining their weaknesses by trial, in case those weaknesses ever need to be exploited for the eradication of potential opposition.

This attitude may be indicative of a sadistic personality. Such an attitude is almost certain to generate a high degree of interpersonal discord.

SotiCoto wrote:
Much as there might be things that are "meant to offend"... it is important to note that being offended is ultimately the choice EXCLUSIVELY of the potential offendee; not the offender. Afterall, what is likely to offend a particular person is dependant entirely on their own opinions of their surroundings... and their own experiences.
I've known people who are offended by almost anything... and will become outraged if you so much as call them "silly" out of context....... and on the counterside you have people like me who, despite all our bluster, rarely take anything personally and prove to be very difficult to actually offend.
It is a matter of personal strength...

... and as it happens, I have a bugbear regarding weak-willed people.
Personally I believe that I'm doing people a favour when I offend them, as only by being offended as much as I was when I was younger will they ever learn resiliance and personal strength. People who are constantly protected from "offensive material" remain easily offended and perpetually weak.

It's not your place to decide for them.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:51 pm

SotiCoto wrote:
Why does a place like this have such entirely mundane rules?

Just because a lot of people here are autistic doesn't mean we want to be callous and gratuitously nasty.