Does anyone have this certain behavior?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:56 pm

Yes, there has been times I'd secretly snicker to myself when others would get into trouble over making some sort of preventable error but, this relates to things referring to the workplace so, beyond this, I only would snicker when I'd seen something that reminded me of why always to be sincere and not hypocritical like some NT's..

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:21 pm

SotiCoto wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
For some reason I found it funny when I saw pictures of people jumping out of The World Trade Centers because it made me think of the game Rampage.

^_^

It was hilarious to see them do that. Reminded me of the old Lemmings games.... where I had an itchy "Nuke 'Em" trigger (was a real problem sometimes).

Almost as funny was seeing dead bodies floating about in that New Orleans flood. I wish I could find that picture of the guy floating on his front in the water, as it looked so ridiculous! I just wanted to paste the word PWNED on it and post it all over the internet!

You sound like a textbook sociopath. Either that or you're just saying all of the above for shock value, which is sort of a wasted effort here. What I find hilarious is that people like you can say these sort of things behind an anonymous/faceless message board handle, knowing full well that there will be little or no repercussion for it. If you honestly believed in your own words, why not travel to New York and scream your message out loud to the residents there? but you wouldn't. They would kick six different colors of crap out of you.

If this sort of garbage is what this forum is going to, then it's obviously not worth visiting anymore.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:55 pm

Rainstorm5 I am sorry you feel that way. Alot of people here were not emotionally impacted by the incident. I myself created a topic on this and thankfully got support from others. While I'm not saying it's right and it's sad I laughed my head off on 9/11 and I'm not ashamed to state it. Now I myself am not evil or a sociopath in fact sadly I was more effected by celebrities deaths than 9/11 another poster mentioned it's because I've seen those people in shows/movies which I'd have to agree. Also call me crazy but I DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE WTC TOWERS WERE UNTIL 9/11 and before people freak out I was home schooled and learned history for Medieval Times and different Wars NOTHING ON THE WTC TOWERS! Also it looked funny too me. :-) Once again I am sorry you feel that way. :-)

16 May 2008, 8:45 am

Where did you create the topic at? I looked in your profile looking for the post and couldn't find it :(

SotiCoto
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2008, 9:15 am

Rainstorm5 wrote:
You sound like a textbook sociopath. Either that or you're just saying all of the above for shock value, which is sort of a wasted effort here. What I find hilarious is that people like you can say these sort of things behind an anonymous/faceless message board handle, knowing full well that there will be little or no repercussion for it. If you honestly believed in your own words, why not travel to New York and scream your message out loud to the residents there? but you wouldn't. They would kick six different colors of crap out of you.

If this sort of garbage is what this forum is going to, then it's obviously not worth visiting anymore.

And along comes the stockholm girl-scout, seeking to uphold the asinine and hypocritical ideals of her neurotypical oppressors.

Well as it happens I AM a sociopath, and glad to be one. Better to be a self-righteous individual than another bleating sheep, I say.

And for the record, I do enact my sociopathy as much as I am legally able in public. It just so happens that Londoners aren't as confrontational as New-Yorkers.... and as far as I'm not actually breaking any laws, they do well enough to mind their own business.
Now, are you all done being a boring drone?

If I can drive you from this place so easily then all the better. Why would I say no when people are giving me power over them?
And you might want to re-analyse your sense of humour while you're at it. There is very little in this world that could be considered funny that is NOT at the expense of something or someone. You're just following the lines the mundies arbitrarily draw for their own self-serving ends.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 10:26 am

I am incapable of empathy, so I guess I'm a sociopath too. I wasn't joking when I labelled myself selfish in the other thread, I really don't see any reason to think of others unless I get something in return, if only a compliment or a word of thanks.

That much said, I don't see what was funny about 9/11. Oh sure, the stockbrokers jumping from the 100th floor made me think of the song "It's Raining Men", but most of all I was excited that day, as if I had suddenly found myself inside a Hollywood thriller or a video game. Even the prospect of World War III seemed quite fascinating; I don't mind living in interesting times so long as I don't suffer more than anybody else.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2008, 10:36 am

Quote:
Now, are you all done being a boring drone?

Oh blow it out your butt.

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2008, 11:02 am

I laughed a bit in private too.

Mostly, I was struck by the absurdity of it. The mental image of hijacked airplanes crashing into skyscrapers was one of those things that just didn't HAPPEN in real life. On one hand, I knew they were people with families and jobs, but at the same time, reality fell away for a moment, and I was dumbstruck by the absurdity.

I didn't know any of these people, nor anyone who could potentially BE one of those people. Aside from the basic human similarities, they felt too strange and foreign for me to connect with them emotionally, much the same way a newspaper headline of "12 dead in gas explosion" is too impersonal to draw tears. But at the same time, I felt as though I should be sad about it, or at least feel SOMETHING. So that made me feel uncomfortable; and when I'm uncomfortable, I laugh, and I make jokes.

I don't think that makes me a bad person or anything. I don't wish harm on these people, and given the option, I'd prefer it hadn't happened. And out of respect, I refrain from joking about it in front of people I don't know well. If anything, I think I was honest about my reaction, instead of boo-hooing about it just because that's "what normal people do".

craola
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2008, 11:39 am

I found 911 scary, I was terrified of there being a nuclear war but that was all, I didn't really feel much for the people, even when I went there on a school trip I had to pretend to be moved because to me it was just a building site. But I don't think that makes me a bad person because I haven't even been sad when my Godfather died suddenly leaving his wife pregnant with their first child having lost their first two, or when I lost my Nana. I know they are sad occasions, but I don't feel anything.

In England, when big things happen, 911, Princess Diana dying, the Queen mother dying, 7/7 attacks we have those 'We interrupt this program to bring you this urgent news' things, all I was excited about was being the first one to tell my mum.

We don't feel the right emotions, we laugh at people in trouble and don't always cry when people die, sometimes even worse, it doesn't make us bad people.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 9:28 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Rainstorm5 I am sorry you feel that way. Alot of people here were not emotionally impacted by the incident. I myself created a topic on this and thankfully got support from others. While I'm not saying it's right and it's sad I laughed my head off on 9/11 and I'm not ashamed to state it. Now I myself am not evil or a sociopath in fact sadly I was more effected by celebrities deaths than 9/11 another poster mentioned it's because I've seen those people in shows/movies which I'd have to agree. Also call me crazy but I DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE WTC TOWERS WERE UNTIL 9/11 and before people freak out I was home schooled and learned history for Medieval Times and different Wars NOTHING ON THE WTC TOWERS! Also it looked funny too me. :-) Once again I am sorry you feel that way. :-)

Just for the record, the response I gave was to SotiCoto, NOT to you or anyone else that responded. I understand what you're saying - I found myself laughing uncontrollably a my own grandmother's funeral. There was no particular reason why - I didn't see anything 'funny' about it - the laughter was a hysterical reaction. I loved my grandmother, but the idea that she wasn't going to be there anymore hadn't set in for me and I didn't truly feel her loss until the following Christmas when the usual knitted sweaters and stuffed animals she used to make for us didn't arrive like they always had. That's when I finally cried, when it finally hit home to me that she was truly gone.

Years later, I learned a lesson of sorts in empathy when I found out that my father was dying. I adored my father, but even then the grief of his impending loss wasn't 'there' for me yet. I looked into his eyes and saw utter terror there. SUre, he was smiling and trying to make things 'easy' for me to accept, but I saw that he was terrified of the surgery and that he only had a 25% chance of surviving it. two weeks later, I went to the morgue and looked at him on the table (he survived the surgery, but something went wrong a week later and he died in the hospital). They hadn't closed his eyes yet, and there he was, perfectly still and staring off into eternity. I couldn't understand what it was about his eyes - one day he's 'there,' looking at me, and in the next moment, there was nothing at all. He was simply gone. When life leaves the human body, you can look at it objectively and say, "well, that's all folks." I didn't know death, didn't understand it at all until that moment. When the light went out of my father's eyes, the force of understanding took my legs out from under me. I knew such crushing grief in that moment that it didn't feel like I could ever go on being the same person I was before he passed on. It took me 25 years to learn empathy and my father, in his final moments, was the one who taught me.

Otherwise, I'm mostly ambivalent or apathetic about mass tragedies like 9/11. I remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard about it, but I didn't feel anything except for a 'whoa...' when I heard the news. It wasn't until I found a TV and tuned in just in time to see footage of people falling from the remaining tower. I wondered aloud why people were jumping and that's when on of my coworkers said, "Well, if you were stuck on the 95th floor and smelled smoke, knowing that there's no way you could get out, you have the choice to burn or jump. Which would you choose?" I immediately answered: "I'd jump, because at that height, I'd be dead before I hit the ground." For a moment, I imagined myself in that burning building and stepping off the ledge to avoid a painful death. I empathized. I haven't been able to do that to that degree ever since.

I felt little or nothing when I heard about the Madrid train bombings, the Indonesian tsunami, or about the recent cyclone in Burma and the earthquake in China. But I didn't find any of them funny, either. I don't presume to know why anyone else might find this sort of thing funny except that you had no personal connection to it, plus things on TV, internet and radio don't have the same 'immediate effect' as happens if you'd seen it happening right in front of you. There's a 'buffer' of time and distance there that gets in the way. I seriously doubt anyone would laugh if they saw the same thing happening right in front of them. The emotions you or anyone might feel if you did would fall along the lines of terror and your ingrained sense of self-preservation would kick in. Even Aspies 'feel,' they just react differently, that's all. I can't empathize all the time, but in certain cases where I've had a similar experience, I can. I dealwith a lot of physical pain in my life and because of that, I can empathize with those people on the 95th floor choosing a less painful death. I don't know them or even know their names, but the choice they had to make was a sad one. Imagine having to make such a choice, knowing you would never see your loved ones again, see another pretty sunset, eat another ice cream cone on a hot summer day or even laying around in their bed on a Saturday morning, warm and comfortable. In their final moments, those people said goodbye to all of that. It's so sad that I normally couldn't comprehend it, but because of my father, I could. To find something like that sort of ultimate choice laughable is also incomprehensible to me.

I don't think people who lack empathy are bad people. If I did, I'd think of myself as a bad person and I know I'm not. There was a child, who lived not far from me, killed by a logging truck a few weeks ago. I thought it tragic, but I didn't cry over it. I didn't know the boy. But would I laugh at his mother's pain? No way. If it makes me a bad person to not agree with those who find other people's pain funny, then that's just too bad. I don't expect you to change, either. You be who you are. I'm not here to judge you, either. I responded to SotiCoto because I despise sociopaths. They should be snuffed at birth, IMO. Sociopaths are repsonsible for 75% of all violent crime and the world would be better off without them.

18 May 2008, 10:14 am

I don't cry over incidents either like people dying or people getting hurt.
One time I laughed about when my ex told me "It looks like a child had pushed his toy cars in here," because the tunnel we were going through didn't allow passing because cars have piled to the top of the cieling. He didn't like me laughing and he thought I was self centured and had no empathy because people got hurt and died. It wasn't that, it was the image he gave me about a child pushing his toy cars in the tunnel.

I can remember the torrorisms but I felt sorry for all those people but I didn't care for them or feel for them. I can also remember asking in a store when I was looking at the 9/11 magazine why people were jumping out of the windows and it looked funny. My mother also told me the same thing someone told you.
I made jokes about the torrorism for a while and everytime I play rampage and have to knock down the two towers, I always call it 9/11 and say I am a torrorist. Instead of two planes hitting them, it's a monster doing it.
I can even remember finding it amusing when I saw they fell down on TV because it also reminded me of Rampage. But it made me wonder why did they fall down? I was told because the heat did it and the metal melted and when the top collasped, it knocked down the lower part of the tower too.
But I didn't freak out about 9/11 till I heard kids in chior talking about WWIII had started and they were all acting excited and I got all scared.
I can remember feeling angry at the terrorists for attacking us when I found out this was all intensional and I wanted them all fry in the chair and I also felt disgusted and mad when I found out some countries were happy we got attacked and were celebrating.
I was screaming in my head "Dude, a lot of innocent people died, even none Americans who worked in the World Trade Centers."
So I guess I had some empathy but didn't really express it until now.
I can also remember I didn't understand why people were freaking out over the towers being on fire. I can remember being told if I were there and saw it live, I would have been scared too. And I was like Why? Now I think I can understand why, it was intensional. At first people weren't real scared the first plane crashed into one of them, they were just feeling bad for the people in the plane and in the tower, then half hour later, another one hits into another one and that's when everyone freaked out. But luckily people were smart enough to get out of the building, people in the other tower who saw the plane hit the other one, they all got out because they didn't want to take any chances. There was a show about it in 2006 I saw and I learned more about the disaster. I felt sorry for the people who were trapped in the elevators and was happy this one guy got out when the power got out, so he was able to open the doors and once he left the building, he heard a guy yell "RUN!" so the guy started running and he didn't know why he was running, he ran because the other guy yelled it. Then he heard something falling down behind him and he saw it was the tower he had just left. I would have run too if the building was collasping.

But I always feel sorry for the people who get involved in a natural disaster or terrorism like the time in London. It made my mother and I so glad we left back in September instead of that month or we would have been effected by it too and our trip would have been very difficult. I would have been afraid to ride the underground or the buses so we would have walked everywhere instead which would have taken us a lot longer to get to places.
I have never seen anyone get upset over the news or anything, people crying so I always thought it was normal to not feel anything or to not really care what happened. We just think "Good thing that wasn't me" "Sad for those people" "Oh no how awful" etc.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 10:06 pm

Yes. I was once verbably abused my a teacher because I was supposed to show my friend how to do a project, I couldn't and when her project turned out wrong the teacher screamed at me as if I had killed someone. I also tended to smile when nervous at that time and the teacher told me to stop lauging. I have heard that when monkeys get scared they have a facial expression that resimbles a human grin. I wonder if this trait never fully went away when monkies evloved into people and so when peopel smile when they are scared it is just their primate instincts kicking in. I also couldn't understand why everyone was so upset during Septemper 11. We didn't know those people, why should we cry for them? I just felt a TON of negetive energy around me and my rotine was disrupted for weeks because all of the TV stations kept replying the news story over and over but the negetive energy from everyone was what bothered me most.