Autism and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

I have aspergers, hypothyroidism and PCOS. I have been taking Spironolactone which is an androgen blocker and every single symptom of PCOS has reversed. Since it blocks the production of excess testosterone my personality changed and 'aspie traits' decreased a little, especially tunnel vision and obsessions.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

I was tested for it but the test came back negative ( ithink i need to get tested again though because i have more symptoms now. Also i was told by my neurologist that it can be caused by certainmeds the medication Depakote which is an anti-seizure meds which is used for people with epilepsy, as well as being used as a mood stabilizer for those with bipolar and other conditions involving mood lability (i think thats the right word). it can cause pcos especially in certain ages (teenagers and young adults)

i was told it cause raised testoterone levels in females and that can cause the PCOS

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

It's in my family.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

I had all of the signs of it (still have the visible signs). I even went through the indignity of a gynae using me as a teaching aid for his student. He pointed out all the physical signs to look out for, in his future patients. Then he took a blood test and it came back negative. I wonder if his student was informed of my result.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

My sister has PCOS, I have hypothyroidism and my mum has coeliac's disease. I also suffer from extremely painful periods for which I take medication and was on antibiotics for two years for acne as a teenager (I still have some spots now, but thankfully not to that extent). Only me and my dad show obvious AS traits though (although I wouldn't know about the extended family) and nobody has a diagnosis.

NicsMc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

my daughter has aspergers and has now decided she wants to be a boy and has started the process for gender reassignment, im convinced she has pcos but im having trouble finding either a doctor or psychiatrist willing to test her
they are quite happy to change her gender but im convinced she only wants this because of the raised testosterone in her body,
if anyone knows any specific research i can show a doctor to prove the link, i would be incredibly grateful

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 3:30 pm

I have Asperger's and some kind of severe hormonal problem that doctors have never successfully diagnosed. (Is it PCOS? Or Endometriosis? They seem to have no clue.) But I definitely have most of the symptoms for both PCOS and Endometriosis.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 6:06 pm

My older sister has PCOS.

theoddone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2012, 1:56 am

I was diagnosed with aspergers in the 5th grade, and just recently diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago. I'm really glad I'm not the only aspie who puts up with pcos.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 2:02 am

I'm not diagnosed but have plenty of reason to think I have this, it was much worse when I was younger. I came close to losing my cousin to it recently (she needed emergency surgery) and a friend who also has someone with classic autism in her family is currently recovering (poorly) from surgery related to this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 11:05 am

Doesn't mention Autism here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I noticed that, too.- It only really mentions Diabetes and Obesity.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 9:42 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

http://docs.autismresearchcentre.com/pa ... havior.pdf

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

Washi wrote:
KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

http://docs.autismresearchcentre.com/pa ... havior.pdf

I used the survey in that study in my own study (but analysed the data differently). PCOS didn't come up as significantly more likely in those with higher AQ scores, but the following did:

delayed puberty
hirsutism
irregular menstrual cycles
periods starting after the age of sixteen
being considered a tomboy as a child

(My study looked at the general population, so PCOS could still be more prevalent in those actually diagnosed with ASD.)

Wodenodin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2013, 2:30 am

I have Aspergers and PCOS. Folks reading this topic may find the following interesting:

The following clinical studies are on the NCBI website. It won't let me post the links because I'm new.
Abnormal melatonin synthesis in autism spectrum disorders

Poor sleep in PCOS; is melatonin the culprit?

Melatonin and the ovary: physiological and pathophysiological implications.

I'd also run across a study where women with PCOS were found to have an inverted melatonin circadian rhythm but am not finding it again at the moment.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 8:39 am

Actually, I don't think I really have it. No symptoms are present aside that I have irregular cycles. The doctor says I have raised levels of T according to blood tests and cysts in te ovaries judging from the X ray. I don't mind the testosterone at all. I m asexual and consider myself half trans with no intention of undergoing sex reassignment surgery.