Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KaneR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2008, 11:56 am

Yes i do like to touch things when i'm in shops. Don't ask mw why i've always done it and i like to test whether i will like something or not so that i am prepared to know in future.

Also i have a hate for the texture of paper and cardboard. I cannot stand the feel of paper like thins, it feels as though my hands are drying up, so to stop this i lick my fingers. please comment if you have the same problem.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2008, 12:01 pm

I like to touch things. :D I think it might actually be a recent thing for me, but perhaps I just can't remember.
It seems to be an aspie thing by amount of responses.

I often ask to touch people's hair because I love feeling different hair textures. I will touch clothes in clothes shops absent-mindedly.

The only thing I really dislike the feel of is a sort of fabric I don't know the name of. I hate touching it. It feels okay if you touch it moving your finger in the right direction but if you don't, it makes a sort of rustly noise and it's really horrible.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:17 pm

Yeah, I do that too! I don't know why, but I always did.

If I see something, I touch it. Just looking at it isn't enough.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:26 pm

I'm more of a smelling person. I always smell things.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:32 pm

KaneR wrote:
Also i have a hate for the texture of paper and cardboard. I cannot stand the feel of paper like thins, it feels as though my hands are drying up, so to stop this i lick my fingers. please comment if you have the same problem.

I really like the feel (and in some cases scent) of some paper, but can have the 'drying finger-tip' sensation with some grades of paper (especially newsprint). It usually is only a minor discomfort, but sometimes it is more intense and very occasionally it can be sufficiently discomforting to provoke temporary avoidance.

I've had persistent preoccupations with certain paper in the past, especially when I was a child. For years I was preoccupied with the texture/smell of the pages in a set of books I had. The covers were great too (they incorporated a slick-feel gold inlay that I adored). I really miss those books. They also had some ok content.

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2008, 3:01 pm

I loved doing this as a kid. My favorite things to feel were clothing textures and different rocks when we went on outdoor field trips. Nowadays I can feel all the clothing textures I want since I now work in a clothing store and can just pass off what I'm doing as organizing them, haha.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2008, 3:09 pm

I do that all the time, especially with smooth objects. When I walk past the shoe department in a store I have to feel the Dr. Scholl's foot coushins they have too.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 4:08 pm

My son drives us all nuts with his inability to keep his fingers off of anything. He does it without thinking. Very tactile. He'll move from touching a garbage can or the bottom of his shoes to playing with food laid out on the table if someone doesn't remind him.

We allow it for the most part, since trying to control it seems stressful for him. Basically we try to touch-proof the house. But he does need to learn to some extent. He's ended up wrecking so much stuff, or bothering kids he barely knows, and then there is the sanitary issue ... We point the problem out quite a bit, regardless of trying to be understanding, I'm afraid.

Skippy88
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2008, 5:42 pm

Taking this to another angle (but still on topic) - has anyone else with AS had difficulty with allowing other people to touch them?

I used to hate getting hugged, or touched at all, for that matter, by anyone. When I was younger that was the case. I didn't feel comfortable. I didn't even feel comfortable when another person was standing close to me.

Now, I really like getting hugged by my friends. I really enjoy it. However - for some reason, I don't like being hugged by family members and feel uncomfortable whenever it happens. I'm not sure why this is. And again, if a family member stands too close to me, I don't feel comfortable.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2008, 5:47 pm

I won't buy something I cannot touch first. Shopping online is out of the question for that reason, yet I hate stores. Ugh. Lets just say I'm pretty picky when I give my husband lists. LOL

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm

pandd wrote:
KaneR wrote:

I really like the feel (and in some cases scent) of some paper, but can have the 'drying finger-tip' sensation with some grades of paper (especially newsprint). It usually is only a minor discomfort, but sometimes it is more intense and very occasionally it can be sufficiently discomforting to provoke temporary avoidance.

I've had persistent preoccupations with certain paper in the past, especially when I was a child. For years I was preoccupied with the texture/smell of the pages in a set of books I had. The covers were great too (they incorporated a slick-feel gold inlay that I adored). I really miss those books. They also had some ok content.

It's not your imagination -- paper really sucks the moisture right out of your skin. Since I work with paper and fibers (another moisture-drainer), I constantly have to use hand lotion.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

blamo
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2008, 7:04 pm

Ah..very good, either I am normal or we are all...oh wait. :D
Thanks for the welcome Kateshroud, I relate to Hermey because as a kid I told my parents I wanted to be an artist, to work for this little company called Industrial Light and Magic that had just made a little movie called "Star Wars" because I built models, knew electronics and animation. He told me it was not a good idea and I should be a carpenter if I wanted to build things.

blamo
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

But...I like the feel of paper, esp. oddly textured specialty papers. Like hand made papers. I can go into the art supply stores and feel the paper for quite some time. But then again I love to draw.
And...thank you for bring up the being touched thing. I HATE being touched by some people...actually most people. I let my niece hug me, girl friends, and my grandmother. Not really anyone else.
I have reacted almost violently to people touching me. At my dad's funeral, his girlfriend (a skank younger than me) hugged me, people told me after I seemed "repulsed and disgusted by her" and that I pulled away from her violently.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

blamo wrote:
I am very new here so it is entirely possible that this has been asked before....I am curious if others find the "urge" to touch things just to feel them, to know what the surface of an object feels like. To test the texture.
I know when I was young, my mom would get iratated because in a store I would need to touch everything, of course I still do this. Esp. fabrics. But I also want to feel metals, glass objects (mom hated that) and pretty much anything that might look different. Even now at 43, girlfriends keep wondering why I need to touch everything in the store or other places.
..or perhaps I am just weird.

I've a nickname from way back-Curious Johnny. Not alone dude. For me, it feels like my hands need something.

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

13 Aug 2008, 10:24 pm

blamo wrote:
Ah..very good, either I am normal or we are all...oh wait. :D
Thanks for the welcome Kateshroud, I relate to Hermey because as a kid I told my parents I wanted to be an artist, to work for this little company called Industrial Light and Magic that had just made a little movie called "Star Wars" because I built models, knew electronics and animation. He told me it was not a good idea and I should be a carpenter if I wanted to build things.

As a kid I came up with some ideas for new gadgets that needed to be invented. They said I had an overactive imagination, but those same things are being developed now. I guess no one really listens to little kids who think too much for their own good.

arkityp
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2008, 11:00 pm

yes, i love texture. this came in handy when i took textiles in college.