Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 4:35 pm

Firefox you come up with cool questions:)
I absolutely love driving it is the one thing I really love doing besides writing. I want a job driving but don't know how easy it is for a woman to get a CDL. A career that involves a CDL would be the perfect one for me!

Hbomb89
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

FireFox wrote:
I enjoy driving. It's the highway that seems scary to me. I don't drive on the highway.

Highway driving is actually MUCH easier than city driving.

When I started driving when I was 16, I did not enjoy driving so much with a permit...parents always breathed down your neck, made you feel nervous and they'd always yell at you at the simplest mistakes...even if they make those mistakes themselves.

But then when I got my license, I really started to enjoy driving. Driving unsupervised really changed by views on driving. I hated driving when I had just my permit, but when I got my license, I enjoy driving.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

Being very hyper concentrating long enough is a big problem for me, and find driving boring... but then again apart from being on the autism spectrum, I have Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and back in the UK if you have dyspraxia you can have special driving test and advised to drive automatic...

Some extra infomation from Dyspraxia Foundation Driving Tips:
* Try to learn in an automatic car. Less co-ordination is needed and there is less to think about.
* When taking the test, ask for extra time to complete the written section if you think you need it.
* Have extra wing mirrors fitted for easier parking and reversing.
* Larger, higher-mounted steering wheels are easier to use.
* Mark the right side of the steering wheel with a sticker to help you to remember which side is right
and which is left.
* Plan and prepare your journey as much as possible before you set out. Write down the directions and
clip them to the dashboard.
* If you have map reading problems, reverse maps can help and/or computer navigation systems.
* Take frequent breaks if you find concentration difficult.

scorpion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2008, 5:03 pm

Stop driving a few years ago. Too much stress and was using up too much energy to keep concentrating. Used to have panic attacks and did not drive for 20 years then tried again and drove for 5 years until I decided that's it for me and moved to a place with good public transit. The last 5 years I drove used to love driving at very high speed on the highway when no traffic tho.

Also, I was so bad at parking that one day after over 5 minutes of trying to park between 2 cars and finally making it, I had a standing ovation from the people (10 or 12 of them) having a drink on the terrasse of a restaurant in front of the spot where I parked. :oops:

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:18 pm

Love driving.
Only one thing spoils it.
Other drivers.

There are too many non-drivers on the road.

Sure, not everyone's a natural driver - but it doesn't half make driving a stressful experience when you encounter them on the roads.

If everyone could drive to a good standard, driving would be a bearable daily experience.

As it is, it's only truly enjoyable in the small hours of the night when the roads are empty.

Driving is surely THE most stressful daily experience we undergo.

When it's good it's great, when it's bad it's unspeakable - sends my blood-pressure into orbit.

The only routine activity that makes me homicidal.
Yes, it's (nearly) that bad.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:30 pm

FireFox wrote:
I enjoy driving. It's the highway that seems scary to me. I don't drive on the highway.

Highways are actually much nicer for me--- all the traffic is going in the same direction, there aren't any dangerous intersections, less drunks to worry about ( no bars on the interstate), and you can actually MOVE without all the stop-go-stop-go.
Highways also remind me of roadtrips, which are good since those mean vacations.
I love driving. It's the other drivers that I often despise. I don't like it how people simply cut me off in traffic because I drive a small car and can't damage them. I don't like how people drive and tailgate me even though I am already going 5mph over the posted limit. I don't like how other people go 10mph under but won't let me pass by changing lanes each time I try to do so. I don't like how some motorcyclists go 95mph in a 55mph zone and how the cops don't even try to enforce the law because they know they'll never catch them ( which means they get away with it) but how cars get pulled over for 65 in that same area.
Things would be much more pleasurable without the other drivers.
But driving itself? I love it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:35 pm

I have a driver’s licence, but stopped shortly after. I do not enjoy driving at all. It also disturbs me how se people’s behaviour changes drastically when they get behind the wheel of a car.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:41 pm

Be interesting to note whether those who dislike driving also dislike playing ball sports (also requires good co-ordination).

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:03 pm

Driving itself is actually rather pleasant.

Unfortunately, other drivers pretty much ruin it.

So it depends on whether you mean the physical act of driving, which I like, or the experience of driving (at least in an urban area), which I do not.

And for MemberSix - I don't mind driving but have always been awful at and disliked ball sports. I generally have rather poor coordination, but not bad enough that I can't drive well.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:04 pm

My depth perception is off.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:05 pm

People drive like total idiots where I live.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:06 pm

I don't really dislike it but it lets me get around so I guess I'd say it's a boon.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:15 pm

MemberSix wrote:
Be interesting to note whether those who dislike driving also dislike playing ball sports (also requires good co-ordination).
NO

Dislike driving, coordination is bad, but like most people who find or dislike driving I have dyslexia and dyspraxia.

Usually enjoy ball sports, just takes more practice, in fact when younger played national league basket ball.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:38 pm

MemberSix wrote:

I played football, but I was a lineman, I didn't touch the ball, I just hit people.

Not much coordination required.

I tried soccer and sucked.

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2008, 8:48 pm

I think it will be great to travel around by my own. If I could drive I may go everywhere
I want to, maybe a small town, countrysides, forest, somewhere I could relax myself and
enjoy the silence.

However driving is never easy for me. I always be too awkward to manipulate machines. :(

Last edited by wrongchild on 20 Sep 2008, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:14 pm

I do like driving yeah I started driving a bit later in life I was 27 when I got my learner permit and 28 (3 weeks ago) when I got my probationary licence. Given the good transport here a lot of people dont go for their Ps until 20s. I do not know how to drive a manual though and at the moment I have no plans to learn but down the track i may who knows.

I had my first solo drive on my Ps today it went pretty well I went on freeways, side streets and main roads. First I drove to my grandma's no problems. Then I drove home to Werribee where I live. The only minor incident I had was right at the end of my long drive home (45 min drive). Similar to when you have your sunglasses on your head and are trying to find them I must have been sub conciously breaking as i knew my street was coming up but moved my foot and realised i was accelerating not breaking it surprised me and shook me for a second but no harm done no one was behind me or in front of me so it was ok. I just put my foot quickly back on the break and ended up where i wanted to. I was home five minutes after that anyway. I have to take the car back on Monday.

i am not too worried it was a small issue really no one was in danger and that is the main thing. In Australia the main cause of P plate accidents is stupidity and risk taking not things like that. it was due to my aspie mind i think i had it in my head i needed to turn and was already breaking just didnt realise