Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:10 am

mine is good as cats' handwriting....

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 3:39 am

My handwriting is terrible, which is probably why I did badly in exams.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:54 am

HD3H wrote:
I never had a good handwriting

my handwriting is legible but not great. when i rush it is worse.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:19 am

considering I've been diagnosed with dysgraphia, and even as far back as 1st grade, my teachers would rip up my paper and give me a fresh copy of a ditto and tell me to "do it again until it's legible." it's been rough for me.

Over the years I've progressed though to get somewhat better unless I'm in a rush. I no longer get cramps going up my arm into my shoulder, and my writing has gotten more legible within the course of about 15 years. I don't know why this has gotten better, but, I'm not complaining. :lol:

I think choice of writing utensil helps some... like having those special grips, and if you use a mechanical pencil I recommend using those Vibz ones with the squishy grip. I notice if I use something too big and heavy, I have a hard time controlling it with my small hand. If it's too small, it makes my hand cramp trying to grip it.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:04 am

Tying hasn't changed anything about my handwriting. It's as neat as it has been before I learned to type due to having gotten a computer.

nupkin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 7:17 am

I can never do those Italic-styleposh signatures where one can't necessarily make out any of the individual letters. Yeah, my writing sucks...it looks so "naive", so easy to read.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2008, 7:33 am

Awful to begin with, have to think about each motion. Began stints of various handwriting styles, all rounded for a long while, because I found it most difficult. Although this took me longer it was worth it as cursive became easier to execute. Mimicked various forms, sizes ec and eventually my writing appeared calligraphic. Artistic most say, meh, still have issues keeping it on the lines and spacing equally ec. Handwriting was one of the most frustrating/embarrassing tasks throughout my education, ‘friends' constantly commenting on my appalling writing, naturally not the group writer during assignments, though i'd ask! See look, neat! Certainly Dysgraphic, had also many tics and habits when handwriting/copying from the board, found punctuation and pressure points/grip difficult ec. Have an old essay with a remark from my tutor "What is wrong with you? Why did you write this twice? What is this? (Points to squiggle resulting from a habit.) Your grade is B+ you should be A* to accompany oral presentation. Fix this." Fix this! Fix "it." So many people in my life wanted me to fix myself, or passed on their wish to fix me.

Odd I could always sketch. Not sure why letter formation takes exceptional effort and concentration. Should look into this.

MadAme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2008, 8:11 am

JetLag wrote:
My sixth-grade teacher complained I wrote like chicken scratch. He was right. And I think that through the years my typing probably has made my "chicken scratch" writing even a little more unreadable than it was in sixth grade.

What is it about sixth-grade teachers and handwriting????! !! Mine pulled me aside and said "I don't like your handwriting. It's not uniform enough." Hey, if that's the worst thing anybody can say about me the rest of my life, I'm doing OK. He should see my handwriting now that I wear trifocals and have arthritis in my dominant hand.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

I think most of the world fits this description. For someone like my son, whose writing is and will always be horrible, the shift is a godsend. For someone like me, who used to have rather nice writing, it is a shame. I see it, there isn't much to do about it. Good penmanship takes practice and maintentance, and that simply is not a priority in today's world.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:53 pm

My handwriting has always been pretty bad. I always got bad marks for penmanship. It seems to be getting worse as I get older, possibly due to all the typing I do.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:59 pm

I started typing at a young age (5), but have always had peculiar handwriting. As it stands now, my write primarily in print (85%) with letters and snippets of script popping up in different places; there are multiple ways I make each letter, depending on location in sentence and paragraph, capitalization, the letters leading into and away from that letter, and my mood; the angle and shape of my print morphs frequently, to the extent that on a single page of a handwritten letter it can appear to be five distinct manners of writing. One example is there are six common ways for me to write a capital F, depending on whether it is a name, the start of a sentence, first word of a paragraph, what letter follows the F, etc... It is a little strange. I type as much as possible nowadays for that reason, plus the problem I've had since I was in preschool... my hands cramp when I write too long or too much.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

turbohappy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2008, 1:08 pm

I always got bad grades in school. Mine actually improved in high school when I gave up on cursive and lower-case letters and just write everything in small and large capital letters.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2008, 3:06 pm

timeisdead wrote:
Am I the only one whose handwriting has gotten significantly worse over the years due to typing? I was once complimented on my penmanship years ago but during the last few years, my handwriting is becoming more and more illegible due to the fact that I prefer to type. Is there anyone else who fits this description?

:D Nope.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:12 pm

Jenk wrote:
Awful to begin with, have to think about each motion. Began stints of various handwriting styles, all rounded for a long while, because I found it most difficult. Although this took me longer it was worth it as cursive became easier to execute. Mimicked various forms, sizes ec and eventually my writing appeared calligraphic. Artistic most say, meh, still have issues keeping it on the lines and spacing equally ec. Handwriting was one of the most frustrating/embarrassing tasks throughout my education, ‘friends' constantly commenting on my appalling writing, naturally not the group writer during assignments, though i'd ask! See look, neat! Certainly Dysgraphic, had also many tics and habits when handwriting/copying from the board, found punctuation and pressure points/grip difficult ec. Have an old essay with a remark from my tutor "What is wrong with you? Why did you write this twice? What is this? (Points to squiggle resulting from a habit.) Your grade is B+ you should be A* to accompany oral presentation. Fix this." Fix this! Fix "it." So many people in my life wanted me to fix myself, or passed on their wish to fix me.

Odd I could always sketch. Not sure why letter formation takes exceptional effort and concentration. Should look into this.

Yeah, you do sound like you fit the description of "dysgraphic." Oh yes, do I remember the commentary on my paper about 'why can't you do it neater?' 'neatness counts! D+' 'what's this?' 'there's no need to copy it three times and scratch it out' 'why can't you write in a straight line?'

I also can draw quite well as well. That, I think is because I take the time to draw, but don't have the time to 'draw' the letters.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:13 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
I started typing at a young age (5), but have always had peculiar handwriting. As it stands now, my write primarily in print (85%) with letters and snippets of script popping up in different places; there are multiple ways I make each letter, depending on location in sentence and paragraph, capitalization, the letters leading into and away from that letter, and my mood; the angle and shape of my print morphs frequently, to the extent that on a single page of a handwritten letter it can appear to be five distinct manners of writing. One example is there are six common ways for me to write a capital F, depending on whether it is a name, the start of a sentence, first word of a paragraph, what letter follows the F, etc... It is a little strange. I type as much as possible nowadays for that reason, plus the problem I've had since I was in preschool... my hands cramp when I write too long or too much.

M.

My writing is the same way.

waltr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 8:32 pm

My God, I thought that I was the only one that wrote that way! I got a portable typewriter as a kid because I couldn't stand my handwriting.

makuranososhi wrote:

M.