When a NT jumps off a bridge, he get praises but when an asp

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:56 am

i wouldn't bother doing something just because they do it. that doesn't impress anyone.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:10 am

From how I experienced it, it's usually less about what you do than rather how you do it. You can do the most simple, dumb thing and get a lot of praise, good-hearted humour because of the way you did it.

Last week a girl tried to make others laugh like me and she totally failed at it. Not because of what she did, but of how she did it. It just wasn't funny, it was annoying because it was obvious to even me that she was just trying to be funny.

Of course, some people appreciate that others try to be funny even if they're not funny at all. Especially teenagers. Smoking, messing up, criminal behaviour etc. But I found that at age 19+ or so, many people get a more sensible attitude towards humour.

nupkin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 7:13 am

The way it works with popular kids is that they have mannerisms which mean they can pull off things like that, whether through body language, social chit-chat or just generally being natural.

Personally when I try to do as NT's do, I look like a right twonk because it is clearly not in my nature to fool around.

I remember when I was 10 and the most popular girl in class had a crush on this pop star, and all the girls crowded round her like maggots to an apple to hear what she had to say about it. The next day I pretended to have a crush on someone famous and they just weren't interested.

Likewise, when people started calling a mention (as in your friends' initials on your school bag or your workbook) a "mentioni" i.e. Italianising the word, I started doing it to and they all looked dumbfounded probably because I was exaggerating the accent/volume etc.

To give an example a bit closer to what you came up with, I went around telling absolutely everyone I could the first time a boy did a certain thing to me. But normally NT's would just tell their close friends and not broadcast it to all and sundry.

I think that's the thing with us, is that we take these things too far. Some of us, myself certainly included, try to copy the style, manner and practical jokes of streetwise NT's, but it doesn't quite wash with them as they can see it doesn't come naturally to us and we just go overboard or look silly.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2008, 3:36 pm

Chimchar wrote:
Aspie does it, he gets laughed at! What gives? I don't get it. There's this popular boy who ran naked in last years homecoming game. Everyone respected him but when I started flashing in class, they make fun of me. Some girl told everyone that she had sex with Larry , she gets praised. But when I faked my pregnancy they laugh at me. What gives? I do what the normal people do to get noticed but you Still end up teased. What's up with that?! This happened to you?

Flashing in class and running naked at the homecoming are two completely different things. Flashing in class just makes you look like a stripper, whereas at the homecoming game you can seem daring, leading to popularity. Same with the sex with Larry and the pregnancy thing. Faking pregnant makes you look like an idiot, whereas having sex with Larry just makes you more popular.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 3:46 pm

My god you're thick. Of course people are going to laugh at you!

Anyway, to answer the question. There are 3 words which have meaning, are insulting, AND will get them +Points.
"She's a ret*d."

NT's do it, calling them a "ret*d" will have no meaning, do it to an Aspie, "ret*d" suddenly has meaning to them.

It's wrong for both parties, flashing ans "ret*d".

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:07 pm

If a really hot, popular chick flashed the class no one would call her a ret*d. I am the most Aspicious one here and even I know that!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:08 pm

Now let's all be happy, get out the nag champa and lovingly embrace our inner aspie.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:09 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Lol, you should get a book going if you already haven't.

What exactly would the book be about? I'd love to write one, but I don't have a lot to say.

BokeKaeru wrote:
Why would you WANT to do things like that? :\ Surely there are better, more productive ways of bringing attention to yourself than lying, making other people around you uncomfortable and overall replicating lame stunts? I don't think this is an NT/AS issue, really. I wouldn't admire these behaviors no matter who was doing them.

Aspies will commonly try to compensate for social difficulties by imitating peers they perceive to be socially successful. As it turns out, most of these people are just popular because they act out. We have to learn to tell the difference between empty popularity and healthy social interaction.

16 Oct 2008, 7:34 pm

My mother also told me in elementary school kids know where the line is drawn. They know when to do something and when to do it and when to not do it and know when to stop.

But us aspies have that difficutly so we are better off not doing anything silly.