Page 2 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 1:20 pm

Not only do I listen to the same music over and over for years, but I love kirtans / mantras / bhajans which are from India and is chanting where a phrase is repeated ad infinitum. I collect really good kirtan recordings. Also collect Requiems. Listen to music imbued with the Holy Ghost. Have 1000s of tracks of kirtan.

The iPod is awesome. Put it on "shuffle" to hear kirtan in a new way, never know what's next. Then if I want to hear the same piece for hours, use the CD on "repeat."

For that reason have never downloaded music but always buy the CD. Can put it on the Sony and play it LOUD on repeat. Weird because loud noises bother me but if it's a high-vibration song I want it reverberating throughout my bones and the walls, floor and ceiling of the house.

Some pieces I've been listening to over and over for 40 years and they still make me cry with joy.

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2009, 2:29 pm

The three musical instruments I love the sound of most are a woman's voice, especially the voice of Holly Brook. Also Amy Lee from Evanescence. The other two are the shakuhachi (japanese flute) and the electric guitar.

My guitar never seems quite right though. It's either my hearing or my playing, but it just doesn't seem pleasant. I'm learning though.

((((hugs))))

~Loving Light~

Jacob12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 2:43 pm

I love music too. I like everything from the 60s to the 90s but not much of todays because its not that good. I love metal, espshally thrash/speed metal. I also like old country. Stuff Like David Allen Coe and Merle Haggard and such. I really like Metallica and Soundgarden. Those first 4 Metallica albums and those last 3 Soundgarden albums are essential if you like them.

warface
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 7:28 pm

its beyond an obsession

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

this charming man has been the love of my life since 1986. i have everything they ever did, adn used to know the times of all the songs, and what was written on the run off grooves, the details of every cover, exact chronology, sleeve notes etc.

link to tonight's performance for any other smiths fans... (and you all should be!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcl ... ssey.shtml

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2009, 12:20 pm

I mostly follow underground music as i don't particularly like commerical music as i find it very cheesey to be honest.

beastinblack
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2009, 4:02 pm

Lyrics do nothing for me, I love various musical genres such as heavy metal, blues, jazz, prog rock, new age, reggae and various other classical composers, mozart has to be the most timeless of all the artists.

I am completely obsessed with mozart, vivaldi, black sabbath, BB king, vangelis and other related artists. I am incredibly critical of music where a lack of musicianship and/or craftsmanship prevail, but I have perfect pitch, perfect sense of rhythm, the ability to keep a group of musicians on track, as I play the Cello (started when I was 6), drums and bass guitar) and a knack for exposing layers within a musical piece.

Music takes me to another level it has to provide comfort, warmth, and mental enrichment, exposing your inner child that never wants to disappear, which pulls one by the ears to the depths of hell and the loftiest clouds of heaven.

Precisely as ‘simple’ and as ‘complicated’ as are emotions, it explores every avenue, until every possibility appears to have been exhausted, but then you realise the possibilities are endless. Exploring loneliness and affection mixed with a dreamy sense of fun.

I can play a single track over and over again without getting bored of it, focusing each time on the different layers of thought that went into its creation. it has the effect of an addictive drug, I will get withdrawal symptoms, crave it and when I expose my ears to his creation again it raises my conciousness to another level, providing the perfect escape leaving my mind refreshed. I can physically freeze, having to put all my energy into absorbing this aural feast and feel all the better for it.

The three instruments that come from the heart are the electric guitar, piano and saxophone. With the exception of vocals no other instrument pull at the heart strings more than these three. I dont think much to modern production methods or genres, they sound sterile lacking the same kind of creative flare as music used to. Comparing limp bizkit to black sabbath is laughable. I sound incredibly narcisstic when it comes to music, my sister has called me a musical fascist! But I do have the ability to inhale it on a level not many people can.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

I am totally obsessed with music! I like to say music equals life. I listen top music as often as I can. I can hardly go on a five min trip unless I have my cd or my ipod. I like radio but i prefer to listen to songs ove3r and over. Like I have a Kenny Chesney and Avril Lavienge cd in my grams car I can listen to one or the other but I listen to only one song. My gram says well at least you will know the lyrics. I can also through listening to diff songs over and over can eb sitting in a restaurant and say blah blah blah by blah blah blah to discover that was the song by everyone amazement.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

I love music. I listen to it, all the time. I enjoy the music of The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelic music, singer songwriters, Disco, Punk, Reggae and Ska. 8)

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2009, 5:13 pm

yeah im obsessed with music just look at my display name!
yeah i listen to it 24/7 too except school cuz i need to concentrate.
i like your band choices but pearl jam has to be my fave out of all the ones you said.
im also obsessed with bands that people might make fun of me.
they are hanson, savage garden, matchbox twenty, the animals and hootie and the blowfish :o

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 5:58 pm

I hardly ever take my ipod earphones (not buds, but actual phones because I find earbuds to be incredibly annoying and uncomfortable) off when I'm at home. I'd say I'm obsessed. When I had to write a report for a college English class on a writer, I chose a lyricist, making the argument that a lyricist is a TYPE of writer (everyone else chose people like Hemingway... :?

sorry for the digression, I just really hate Hemingway

or Twain, Emily Dickinson, etc.)

I also play guitar, flute, bass, and I sing incredibly well and push myself to sing better. I don't dance in public because I never go out, but that's something I like to do.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 6:06 pm

MizLiz wrote:

How can anyone hate Emily Dickinson? I refuse to believe such a thing is possible.

I suppose I'm somewhat - maybe just a little - obsessed with the Blues. I spend most of my time thinking about them really, and imagining life in those times. I give lectures in my head on various Blues topics every day.

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2009, 6:07 pm

Nirvana, Soundgarden, ETC - pretty much all Grunge.

Nirvana is my favorite though. Soundgarden coming in at close second.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 7:26 pm

McTell wrote:
MizLiz wrote:

How can anyone hate Emily Dickinson? I refuse to believe such a thing is possible.

I suppose I'm somewhat - maybe just a little - obsessed with the Blues. I spend most of my time thinking about them really, and imagining life in those times. I give lectures in my head on various Blues topics every day.

The layout of my post was a bit messy. I meant that I hate Hemingway and other writers they chose included Mark Twain and Emily Dickinson.

I like Mark Twain, but I never understood why Dickinson has been so praised. If I wrote that poorly, I'd never leave the house either. However, her style is consistent with her time. I've never been a fan of American poetry.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2009, 10:27 pm

macushla wrote:
If I understand what everyone here is saying, only a small number of us here enjoy music enough to make it ourselves.

The rest of the people here make no attempt to actually make music.

They only use the music other people make

and they use it as a noise to block out the world.

I don't see it that way at all. I really enjoy my music. "My" meaning the music I enjoy. I have no interest in making music. I'd rather listen to it. I suppose if no one was making the music I enjoy, then I would have an interest in making it, but only so there'd be something I could enjoy listening to. As I am fortunate that there are musicians making the music I enjoy already, I do not make it.

I really like listening to my music at a high enough volume to feel it vibrating my internal organs. The music I enjoy is electronic, bass-heavy, and highly repetitive. High frequencies vibrating my internal organs I can do without. Currently, the music I most enjoy is not available to me at these volumes because A) I cannot afford a 30,000 watt sound system, and/or B) nobody in my area with such a system is playing it. So I'm teaching myself to DJ so I can hear it on such a system.

Mostly though, I enjoy listening to music while I am doing what I enjoy the most, which is making visual art. This may have something to do with my synesthesia - seeing sound as shapes. Too, I enjoy listening to it at other times. Most other times, actually. I find it very calming. Perhaps it could be considered a stim. It keeps me focused when I'm driving, and helps me sleep when I really need it.

I guess I could safely say music is a primary obsession for me.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 11:30 pm

I think you could call me obsessed on some level. I don't listen to music constantly, but a large part of the reason is if I do I tend to fixate on it and it becomes very distracting if I need to be doing anything else. If I come across a REALLY good song I'll often listen to it so many times in a row, and listen to it so many times over a short period (days/weeks) that I get super sick of it and have to back off of it for a few months. Then it will ease itself from there into the normal rotation.

If I'm thinking of learning to play a song I'll listen to it 8-10 times in a row on my drive to work at night and another 8-10 on the way home, sometimes I'll do it for multiple days.

I usually listen to the same cd for so long that the cd player in my car gets somehow "adjusted" to it and freaks out (i.e. starts skipping like crazy) when I put in a new one until it gets used to it after a bit. I usually change the cd in my car like once every 2 weeks, and I typically am driving for at least an hour a day.