How many of you are over-sensitive to noise ?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you over-sensitive to noise ?
Yes 94%  94%  [ 120 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 127
27 Nov 2008, 1:55 pm

Howe about 'sometimes.' There is noise I am over sensitive too and I get overwhelmed after a while. I even have to cover my ears at certain noise such as glass shattering. I wonder if that hurts every one's ears though. I have met people at work who were also sensitive to it too. I just hate recycling glass because you have to dump it in the huge bin. Thank god I don't do it often.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 2:16 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
For me, a big part of it is auditory processing. I can't separate things and make sense of it all.
(A party with the TV going on one end of the room, the sterio blasting on the other and three unrelated conversations.) I just zone out.

Another issue is background music, like in a store. I can't tune it out. Good music distracts me from wherever my mind is supposed to be. Bad music drives me crazy. In my current hell-hole, I spent my first day on the job literally crying. Fortunately, no one noticed. I think I'm slowly adjusting.

I've never tried headphones, but I can't see how that would work. Drowning out little noises with an even bigger noise -- the cure would be worse than the disease.

I know I couldn't handle earplugs. I need to know what's going on.

try a pair of ear defenders on their own instead,these are not head phones-so the point is to block out any noise instead of replacing it,but they still let some sound through.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 4:09 pm

My kid is/was decidedly hypersensitive to noise.

I'm on the border, however;

"I was born in a house with the television always on" --Love For Sale, by the Talking Heads.

Usually, but not always, a tv in my home is on. I'm used to it. Perhaps it makes up for no people. If I'm doing something that requires focus, however, ANY noise at any volume is distracting, and will provoke an instant and mildly angry response until I shut it off. "Shut the fark up!! !" ---Me, at the tv.

When it comes to very high decibel noise (50 db and above), if I'm not the one making it, lol, I'd rather not put up with it.

8)

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 4:20 pm

I got used to noise so i dont really notice it to much

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:11 pm

yes, I am. if a watch is ticking in the next room I can't sleep :( but I like to listen to loud music sometimes, even if I get almost deaf and there's a buzz in my head after the concerts. I don't know really how to explain this.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:12 pm

I could not concentrate in school due to noise.
I used to sit inside the library on my lunch breaks.
People chatting on the train is the worst.
I would listen to my iPod or even with it off the ear phones went right into the ear so it was like I was wearing earplugs.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:16 pm

perhaps, only monotone noise prevents me from concentrating even if it's very quiet :?:

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2008, 5:35 pm

Im very sensitive to any kind of loud noise or people chatting - it goes right through me and makes me very uncomforable.
I tend to carry my headphones and plug myself into my ipod or phone and listen to something I like to help. I also sometimes put my fingers in my ears, which is why ive now gotten earplugs too. Both help.

If I am sat somewhere I also try and engross myself in a book, which then filters out all of the noise, or take myself off for a walk in a nearby park to help. :wink: :wink:

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 5:45 pm

Chaotica wrote:
yes, I am. if a watch is ticking in the next room I can't sleep :( but I like to listen to loud music sometimes, even if I get almost deaf and there's a buzz in my head after the concerts. I don't know really how to explain this.

could it be to do with being able to control the music making it easier to cope with,rather than it being completely out of control when it's coming from somewhere else? it's easier to predict the situation when it's coming from self.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2008, 6:23 pm

Attention parents:

Keep your babies at home. They're annoying. They don't even know what Thanksgiving is for f***s sakes. When you keep them at someone else's house for a few hours and they start crying and you can't figure out why...

It's probably because they want to go home.... so GO HOME.

Just a rant in response to my answer of yes.

A13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2009, 4:21 pm

I am. I can't stand the high-pitched buzz TVs emit, find it very difficult going out to regular places with friends - such as bars, restaurants, grocery stores... I just discovered a way to describe what I've been able to do to cope with it - contracting the tensor tympani muscle at will. Unfortunately it doesn't work when they want to have a conversation with me at the same time, I have to plug my ears to be able to hear them over the wail! How many others on this site can do this? Very curious, everyone I've tried describing it to previously have no idea what I'm talking about, and just call it my 'superpower'. I hope this topic is appropriate for my question, I searched but didn't want to go through page after page with nothing discussing actually muting all external sounds at the moment.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2009, 6:14 pm

as above (all the posts)

I have a lanyard around my neck. there are 3 things on it that I must have at all times: a pen, a tiny pad of paper, and a small pack of musician's earplugs. They are ER-20s which means they reduce all frequencies by about 20 dB (distinct from foam/silicon/wax earplugs which reduce certain frequencies a lot more than others, depending on how deeply they are inserted). As well as being able to hear music at all frequencies (just at a reduced volume) this also means I can hear conversations while they are inserted (different consonants have different frequencies).

This means I can wear them to the restaurant with polished walls/floor and lots of people in a squashed space, that my fiance's friends seem to like so much, and not be as stressed, and still hear most of the conversation that goes on.

(I have the other earplugs too but since I deliberately avoid grossly loud places I usually won't need them :))

Fascinating thing about the tensor tympani btw, I am afraid I cannot move my ears but there is a small number of people who can. Use it to your advantage I guess!

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2009, 3:25 am

Yes, I definitely think I am. I enjoy very loud sounds if I like them. At the same time I can feel very annoyed with sounds that I don't like.

When I listen to sound in headphones the sound comes very close to my ear, which in many cases has caused damages to once hearing. So I only use headphones for a little amount of time.

I can get very unsympathic against people who don't understand the problem with headphones and by listening on the sound when it comes out of speakers makes me feel good and it also replaces the feeling that one can get by not having someone to talk to (or not someone who you want to talk to)

I often feel that I don't like the sounds from old machines which sounds very bad and this can be everything from cars to computers.

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2009, 7:56 pm

I jump at a lot of sudden noises like car horns etc.
I have got better though, I remember a few years ago someone would cough and I would jump, sometimes even scream, and I'd feel shaken up for a good while after :(

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 9:15 pm

I hate crowded restaurants. They drive em crazy! Like we went out to eat and the person behind us was crunching a paper bag. I was covering my ears. My mom is like does that really bother you I shook my head yes.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 11:15 pm

I find that it helps if I actually listen to the noise and try to find patterns in it (well, really it's my brain superimposing patterns onto the noise, but effectively it's the same thing as discovering patterns in it). It helps if my environment is processed as something that makes sense rather than just chaos. The only problem with this is that if a loud, unexpected noise occurs, it is even more painful than it would be normally, but this is a small price to pay for averting overload.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I