Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2009, 9:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
Stella (known in the UK as 'Wifebeater') isn't a beer. It is urine masquerading as beer. There's loads of great beer out there, whether you live in Britain, Ireland, Denmark, Norway (perhaps only Nøgne Ø at a tenner a bottle, but still), Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, the US, Canada and loads of others. Why spend your time drinking mass-produced chemicals when there's so much good beer out there to drink?

Even in my local county I can name the following local microbreweries:

Bowland (visited their barn)
Grindleton
Hopstar
Lytham
Red Rose (visited the pub)
Lancaster
Fuzzy Duck
Hart (visited the pub)

So I'll spend my time drinking that instead.

I've worked in two stateside microbreweries; Fire House Brewing Co. (Rapid City, South Dakota) and Legend Brewing Co. (Richmond, Virginia). Unfortunately, I was only employed in the restaurants/pubs, and not the breweries themselves. I developed a taste for real beer when I was 17.

Today, I sampled a Japanese beer that I picked up at the locally owned natural foods store.
Hitachino Nest is the brand name, and the style is the White Ale. It is effervescent similar to a Kombucha style drink without the vinegar taste, but is brewed like sake, and has a crisp ginger note, 5% alc. by vol., it is a light bodied Belgian inspired beer, but definitely has an Asian flair to it. The Kiuchi Brewery describes the flavour melody as Corriander, nutmeg, and orange peel, but all I can taste is a ginger flavour.

I'm a fan of brown ales and porters like Three Philosophers (Belgian style blend (Quadrupel)) and Manchester Star (British style porter).

Red ales are by far the hardest to come by here, but the Fire House had a house red ale that was one of their top three most popular.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2009, 11:08 pm

Tequila wrote:
- wrote:
no more than 2-3 per day, no more than 8 or so per week

You are joking?

I realize I'm going by a very conservative standard here. True, you could probably well exceed that limit and still be fine. I'm just not inclined to flirt with an alcoholic lifestyle.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:51 pm

ShyGorilla wrote:
wasn't it Monty Python who gave us the quintessential line:

"I tend to find drinking American beer like making love in a canoe...f**king close to water"

Of American beers I like Anchor Steam (made in San Francisco). I was very thrilled to find it at the grocery store near my apartment here in Austin. :D

Cheers!

Anchor Steam is good stuff. In general, I prefer darker beers, either imported or microbrewed.

madmike
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jan 2009, 5:19 am

'Today, I sampled a Japanese beer that I picked up at the locally owned natural foods store.
Hitachino Nest is the brand name, and the style is the White Ale. It is effervescent similar to a Kombucha style drink without the vinegar taste, but is brewed like sake, and has a crisp ginger note, 5% alc. by vol., it is a light bodied Belgian inspired beer, but definitely has an Asian flair to it. The Kiuchi Brewery describes the flavour melody as Corriander, nutmeg, and orange peel, but all I can taste is a ginger flavour.'

I've tried Kirin Ichiban, and that is one good drink. My friend just described it as spiced Japanese lager, which made me cringe at first. But it's great, now if it's available I'll usually have it.