What things/lies did you use to believe due to AS?

Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 4:19 pm

I used to believe that 'family' meant people cared for you at some level.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm

I know it's stupid, but I still kind of believe in the inherent goodness of most people. I must, or why else would it come as such a huge surprise that hurts so terribly when other people aren't good?

I believed that people mostly don't go straight for your gut when trying to hurt you. I don't know how else to explain my utter disbelief when this happens to me.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 4:29 pm

A career doing scientific work will make you wealthy and get you laid.

Automotive researchers base their decisions on whether what they propose to do will work.

Grants should be easy to get if you know what you're doing.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2009, 5:09 pm

I can't think of anything specific, but aren't these the types of things that all children would believe if someone they trusted lied to them about?

Just think about all the NT children who believe in Santa Claus.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 5:52 pm

yeah but i believed that stuff as an adult, not a child.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2009, 5:58 pm

Prosser wrote:
I used to think everyone was aggainst me. I was probably right.

Same.
I use to also believe from below the age of 10 that everything people said to me was true, and some people enjoyed seeing what I'd fall for >.>. I do actually blame that for me now believing very little the majority believes in(i.e religion, global warming, the government wants to help, etc.).
EMZ=]

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 6:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
I used to believe:

- That I was always wrong, no matter what.

- That I really was stupid, ret*d, or somehow defective.

- That I deserved to be punished, even if it wasn't my fault.

- That niceness meant interest, interest meant friendship, friendship meant committment, committment meant love, and that "I Love You..." implied "... Forever."

Yeah

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 6:27 pm

Greentea wrote:
All brilliant posts! I used to believe the same things.

I used to believe that all people (except rare exceptions called "mean") were kind and considerate and cared for everyone else from the genuine bottom of their hearts.

Oh yeah, I used to believe that one big time! But I learned my lesson....

Here are some more things I used to believe:

That honest, direct communication was one of the most important things to hold a love relationship together- (this is what my parents, and all the books tell you). I didn´t realize that all that non-verbal stuff was so important, and was barely aware that it even existed.

That children were difficult and unpredictable, whereas adults were logical and always fair. I thought my problems would be over when I was an adult.

That people would really like me, or men would fall in love with me, if I was really talented at what I do.

I didn´t realize that one had to be "social" at work. I thought work was work, and that was that. I thought all employers were most concerned with how well the job was being done.

I didn´t realize how important external appearance actually is to most people...(this may have had something to do with growing up in the 60s, though. I think the world changed after that).

I actually believed that mankind really did learn from the Holocaust or Vietnam, and that we would never repeat our mistakes (ha!)

I also believed all that crap that the best way to draw romantic partners is to "just be yourself".

When people criticized me, I really took the blame seriously. It never occurred to me that people sometimes lash out and say mean things because THEY feel bad. It took me forever to understand this, because I don´t seem to have the instinct to do this myself. For this reason, I took way too many things personally.

In conversations, I thought that people would actually admire me/like me if I showed them how intelligent I was, like, for instance, if I corrected them on a mistake they had made. Boy was I way off there....

I´m sure there are more, I´ll think about it.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2009, 9:11 pm

I used to believe that friends were forever. My friends were more family to me than my real family, and I thought they felt the same. I never understood when everyone just melted away and went off in their own directions. What the hell is that, anyway??! ! I did discover that my notion of friendship exists in other countries: Spain, for example, where I met and married my husband. Friendship over there IS family and does last forever for many, many people.

I used to believe that when people preached the Bible, they really truly believed it and lived it.

I used to believe that most people were loving to their children and were good parents.

I used to believe that most people were honest.

I used to believe that most people strove for a high level of personal honor.

I used to believe that no one would look me in the eye and lie to me.

www.neurointegrity.com

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2009, 9:24 pm

- That I was simply and outright lazy.

While I can be, I now believe that such is supplemental to my personality and not merely the solitary answer.

Buka
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2009, 9:37 pm

That the past was in black and white -- that color was discovered/invented.

That awesome grades meant you could get scholarships and would inevitably lead to a successful career. That academics meant as much as athletics in school.

That my great-grandmother was black (though I am as white as can be) because my uncle told me so - I was greatly disappointed when I found out this was not true.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 9:41 pm

At one point I believed that cannabilism was legal in one part of Europe, I still think it could be possible, but don't believe it enough to tell it to others. I was told that by someone, and someone else basicly confirmed it with "there some strange enough countries in Europe that it could be possible."

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 11:14 pm

I used to believe:

that I was the most inhibited person on the planet,

that I was usually guilty of bad behavior because I looked it,

that I couldn't do anything right.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 12:52 am

I used to believe that all adults were wise and knew how life had to be lived and they didn't make childish mistakes or hold stupid views.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 12:57 am

Someone once held out a bar of soap to me and said it was candy.
Someone once fed me dog treats because they looked very similar to chocolate.

People wonder why I hate my sister :roll:

I thought I wasn't very smart because of the way teachers treated me.
I thought adults had all the answers.
I used to think you needed to know everything about your job to do it well.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 1:11 am

Morgana wrote:
I didn´t realize that one had to be "social" at work. I thought work was work, and that was that. I thought all employers were most concerned with how well the job was being done.

Oh yes. I believed this till age forty more or less.

I used to believe that in order to have friends, all you had to be was kind and honest. That those were the 2 necessary and sufficient things people looked for in others.

That getting married (young) and forming a close-knit family with a hard-working father and a devoted mother were natural, automatic and that except in very rare cases, it's what happened to everyone, without needing to devote to it any conscious action or thought. Without looking, a kind and nice, responsible, intelligent man would fall inlove with me when I was very young, I'd fall inlove with him too, we'd get married, the kids would arrive and we'd be one happy family forever. I'd die in the arms of my loving children and grandchildren. The only case where this didn't happen was to "mean people", so all you had to strive for in life was to be kind to others.