Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 10:09 pm

Hardly. Some. Flashing lights. That loud guy screaming.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:04 am

I luv the 1s with catchy tunes.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:06 am

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders, might upset us, all we ask, is that you let us (lettuce?) - do it your way....

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2009, 12:12 am

When I was a kid I thought that,
if real stuff is for adults,
and if cartoons are for kids,
then commercials must be for babies.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:15 am

God no.

It's the "real" brain-washing for the masses, and sadly, they don't even know it is.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:21 am

Danielismyname wrote:
It's the "real" brain-washing for the masses, and sadly, they don't even know it is.

Well then it doesn't work very well, cept for the commercials advertising watching commercials during things like the oscars (as they may be adverting the event, but its really the commercials they want you watching)...

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2009, 2:45 am

When I was a very little child I used to memorize television commercials and play them out for my parents. They thought it was cute because I was somewhere in the 4 - 7 year old range. Sometime, I don't remember when, I stopped doing that. But it was quite a big deal for me at that age.

Last edited by ItsMike on 25 Feb 2009, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2009, 6:57 am

Most adverts are annoying and loud so no.
I can spot the brainwashing quite well, they sometimes fuse a word with a different one like buy and high.
So they could say if you buy(high) NOW just imagine how you will feel with your product 6 months later with no extra to pay.

Last edited by cataspie on 24 Feb 2009, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Feb 2009, 7:26 am

Overall I dislike commercials. As someone said earlier, they are loud. I think they turn up the volume on commercials because many people go to the bathroom or kitchen, and the advertisers want you to hear the message outside of the living room.

There were some commercials I liked a lot in the past. They were the ones by Joe Sedelmaier (not sure if it's spelled correctly). For those of us old enough to remember, he did ones like the Wendy's "Where's the Beef?".

My overall 100% disliked commercials---Billy Mays and Oxyclean, etc., and the Sham Wow commercials---I find them totally annoying.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 7:42 am

glider18 wrote:
My overall 100% disliked commercials---Billy Mays and Oxyclean, etc., and the Sham Wow commercials---I find them totally annoying.

I agree, and that goes for any commercials those two guys do... it's not so much that the ads are terrible, it's the guys doing them that are so annoying.

When the commercial break comes it's time to channel-surf, to see if I'm missing something that's better than what I'm watching. :D

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 7:51 am

glider18 wrote:
Sham Wow commercials---I find them totally annoying.

ShamWOW... Its such a sham, you can't help but WOW... And don't forget about mcdonalds commercials which assume people are into things that look... I can't find a better word than ret*d... Like the handle bars that come up 2 feet from the wheel of the bike, but its like:
____ . . . . . . . _____
. . . \ . . . . . . /
. . . .\ . . . . . /
. . . . \ . . . . /
. . . . .\___/

Or the girl with the pants that come up way too high for the style of clothes she is wearing (more so the style of pants)... It makes me feel weird watching those commercials... I know what they are trying to do, but at least let me feel comfortable with being in the room during commercials... And the commercials for Proactive zit cream on teletoon retro are on twice every commercial break, it makes me not want to watch that channel, but they have shows no other channel has... Oh well, time to hit the internet and download them.

Edit: made it so ascii art would appear.

Last edited by Padium on 24 Feb 2009, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2009, 10:15 am

I have a Digital Video Recorder, and subscribe to the shows that I want to watch. Then I zip through the commercial breaks so that I don't have to watch them.

However, the commercials that go "viral" I do tend to enjoy. Go to Youtube and look for "Trunk Monkey" for a series of very funny commercials. I've also enjoyed the Cadbury Dancing Eyebrows commercial. (The girl in it looks like she might be Aspie.) There are so many bad commercials out there and so few funny commercials, that the funny ones seem to get shared over and over again. Look up the Clinton Voodoo Doll commercial.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:34 pm

I hate commercials. I hardly ever seen them, though, because I only watch DVDs.

I don't like the flashy, in-your-face quality of commercials. But mostly, I just don't appreciate anyone trying to brainwash me into buying a product I don't need or want. I systematically tune out all advertising.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 6:58 pm

Fort56 wrote:
I enjoy alot of commercials.

I like the GEICO commercials. The ones with the lizard.

ruveyn

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 7:31 pm

glider18 wrote:
Overall I dislike commercials. As someone said earlier, they are loud. I think they turn up the volume on commercials because many people go to the bathroom or kitchen, and the advertisers want you to hear the message outside of the living room.

There were some commercials I liked a lot in the past. They were the ones by Joe Sedelmaier (not sure if it's spelled correctly). For those of us old enough to remember, he did ones like the Wendy's "Where's the Beef?".

Shame on Sham Wow! topic

Vince is indeed annoying. Him with the half closed eye, and that carny tone of voice. :eye: :wall:
I thought I was the only one... :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LuckyBunny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2009, 4:06 am

They 'generally' tend to put me off what they're selling. Normally through creating entirely unrealistic expectations in the audience.

Like the cereal that people supposedly rush home from work, breaking a lot of road traffic laws, just to eat. I tried it, and it tasted like cereal.

Or Red Bull. I've never seen anyone sprout wings after drinking it. Just a reason to radically overcharge people for a caffeine fix that tastes like horse pee.

I also don't get some insurance adverts where a telephone suddenly comes to life, and starts giving advice. The people in the advert just calmly take the receiver (that has been handed to them by the phone). If my phone grew legs and started jumping around my house, I'd run. Or, of course, get myself sectioned.

There's a car that causes buildings to collapse, as it passes by with no driver. I don't want Herbie with a death wish. I want to drive in comfort and security.

((((hugs))))

~Loving Light~