Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have a mental universe? If so what kind?
No, I do not have one 14%  14%  [ 9 ]
Yes, It is Fantasy style 20%  20%  [ 13 ]
Yes, It is Sci-Fi style 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Yes, It is Semi Realistic 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
Yes, But it is another style 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 66

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

Numerous worlds, some as a refuge, some to help me think (the Council, headed by a woman who looks and sounds a lot like Judi Dench, not sure why), some as a distraction to help me relax (or fall asleep: the faerie tree realm), some from shows I've seen or books I've read, and I'm afraid World of Warcraft has a section all about a blood elf hunter and what has befallen her since her husband fell to the Scourge and was made into one of their death knights (an idea I had when she met Koltira Deathweaver while I was playing in Northrend).

Also, I have my fictional worlds which I am crafting for my writing. I have various vistas and some steadily developing characters, ghosts who communicate very poorly, villages tormented by swarms of spirits, time machines, dream realms, magic, girls in armor and guys in dinner jackets, boys who look like Tom Sawyer but wield swords, villains with glass globes designed to entrap and drain the life away, simple romance and very complicated romance and altogether muddled romance, and sometimes forgotten and remembered romance, guys who eat too much jalapeno pizza and dream fantastic things that turn out to be real, and their daughters who walk in the company of dragons who weren't dragons two days ago, kings who rise from poverty and bring their shattered worlds together, men with chips implanted in their skulls...

Crud, it sounds like Piers Anthony stuff. Well, it's still mine.

And then there's Raven. She's a lot like Wednesday Addams. She keeps the Gate. Where Raven stands, from the outside looking through the Gate, everything inside looks dark and withered, like a Tim Burton drawing. Entering through the Gate, which few do now, the light begins to grow and the colors emerge.

The way I figure it, the people who think this sort of thing sounds crazy just don't spend a lot of time with their own brains. I also figure that as long as I understand it's not real in the way flesh and blood are, I'm technically sane.

But in my noodle, it's as real as it gets. I've heard that memory cannot distinguish between real and imagined memories. If that's the case, and I someday in the distant future develop senile dementia or Alzheimer's, I expect those caring for me would hear some fantastic tales.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

Yes and no.

My imagination is partly reality bound and also constantly shifting and changing. It is also highly focussed on a group of single elements that are usually people and circumstances.

It's what I freely imagine, what rises from my thoughts and emotions almost on its own and what is beyond every stability, every rule and boundary.

So, no, I do not have a world in my head.

I could create one. Could induce it into my mind or collect details from everywhere to form it.

I already did, countless ones.

In the course of my writing I created a lot of worlds and universes, each largely different from the former one. But they're nothing more than words on a paper to me.

I can let them come alive in my mind but they will never feel more than fleeting fragments in a rule and boundaries orientated state and nothing more than an idea of me as a creator.

Which is all I don't fare well with - neither the rules and boundaries are something I can feel good, feel natural with, nor is it that the whole things is stable, orientated, emotionless and artificial by intention.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 9:18 pm

I have always had a big imagination filled with made-up characters and storylines involving said characters. Nowadays, my imaginative world focuses on five main characters and their families. The five main characters are cartoon characters of mine that I draw occasionally. However, I make up scenarios about them in my head far more than I draw them.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 9:20 pm

I've always had one that was extremely ornate. I have a high-class lifestyle, but my world goes so far beyond that even. It's the most amazing thing I think anyone would ever see. It's all so elaborate. Every detail of it is just beautiful and astonishing. It's very lavish.

-x-x-ANONYMOUS-x-x-
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2009, 9:47 pm

I do, I dream in music, it started when I was dealing with bullying, thinking abiout my childhood and before I was out as gay which played a main part in my depression at the time,. I was 14, I would listen to music most of the time to drain out my thoughts and I began fantasizing that I would be singing and fans would be cheering, it sounds sad but I think its understandable too, I like it and I still get pleasure from it

:)

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I've always had one that was extremely ornate. I have a high-class lifestyle, but my world goes so far beyond that even. It's the most amazing thing I think anyone would ever see. It's all so elaborate. Every detail of it is just beautiful and astonishing. It's very lavish.

Either you're bs-ing or you're describing my world.

OMG! If you aren't bs-ing? Hang on tight to this perspective! This is what allows me to be a designer and writer. I make real $$$$ at these things - you can (will) too!

I work about five hours a week - but people pay good $$$ for the ideas that come out of that time where I think, think think...think think...think think...

Thunder2467
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2009, 3:41 pm

In response to mmelepen's comment:
the only person I met in person who was like this had a nearly identical world to mine.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2009, 3:50 pm

Nope.
While I spend a lot of time acting out possible social situations in my head, I don't have an entire world in my head and most certainly no one made up(not that that's a bad thing).
A lot of people say I'm day dreaming, but I'm just talking to my self. I don't know if it's possible to develop a virtual world by plainly talking to my self.
EMZ.

Aqueo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2009, 3:55 pm

My universe is getting me in trouble! I will sit and rock and sort of play in it, but because I love it so much, I stop functioning in other ways. I'm failing my GCSEs because of it :P

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 4:30 pm

I have some worls in my head...

- a fantasy one,
-a unique sci fi one,
-world of day dreams,
-world of night dreams,
-real world... The part of it that I live.

I love them all, never wanted to miss one of them.

TD124
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2009, 4:39 pm

i dont have a world in my head, but i do have fantasies about the world being different.. i think your world sounds cool though, would love it if it became a novel :D

knowledge = intelligence x effort^2

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:36 am

Historic for me. I know what happened when, so I go back and create the people and situation that it took to create what there is evidence happened.

While it is all Earth based, and as simple as works, it still brings out things I would have never thought of.

Book one is done, book two three quarters, Book one ends 40,000 years ago, book two 7,000 years ago.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 9:55 am

Sometimes my inner world is more of a science fictional realm, and sometimes my inner world is MORE real than this world. My world is full of paradoxes and anomalies that are just waiting to be understood and solved. It is quite a mystery.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:59 pm

To boldly go to infinity and beyond topic

I go whenever I can. I am not sure where it is but wherever it is it is nothing like it is on Earth.

My special interests and when I zone out during reading/studying takes me away as well. MT. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 4:07 pm

I have a semi-realistic world in my head. I've had it there since I was a kid, but it has changed and developed a lot with time. Not a day goes by without me visiting this world of mine. :) I usually imagine that world of mine for a large portion of the day, but I can do other things while I'm at it, so it doesn't interfere with me getting things done.