Getting diagnosed with AS as an adult?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2009, 5:06 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
After 40 years of struggling to get by in life, I learned of AS and was shocked at how perfectly the symptoms match what I've struggled with for as long as I can remember.

Still, in spite of the struggle, I managed to teach myself to "fit in" fairly well, but my symptoms still pose a challenge to issues like relationships and employment because "faking it" only goes so far.

Same here - being self employed though i dont think i'll bother with an official Dx until i have a use for it 8O I prefer to stay well away from da medical profession whenever possible :roll:

InMyOwnWorld
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2009, 5:40 pm

Had heard about AS about a year ago and began researching in earnest.

Read Tony Attwood's book, read everything I could find on the 'net and took repeated aspie quizzes.
Many "Ah ha"! moments.

Result was I was fairly certain I had AS.
Finally went to get an official diagnosis and was confirmed.

Don't know what practical use the diagnosis is at my age (early 40s) but felt good to get the official validation.....

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2009, 5:55 pm

I was just diagnosed and I am 50. I took a couple of the online aspie tests and brought the results to my psychiatrist. I also wrote a list of my symptoms--behaviors as well as physical symptoms--and a list of diagnosed relatives. After all that, she had to say that I was definitely on the spectrum.

www.neurointegrity.com