Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

I don't drive for multiple reasons. The most dangerous one is I have catatonia which makes me freeze and not respond to anything It can last a few minutes to an hour, not good for driving. Then I have trouble tracking people, especially at 4 way stops, like who got there first and things like that. At night my vision is terrible and all those headlights heading toward me would make me lose the road. Sometimes I hallucinate people and animals running across the road and at the time I don't realize its a hallucination until I ask the driver. So, that means if I were the driver I would be avoiding imaginary people and animals (one time I saw an alien animal hopping across the road, not like any animal I have ever seen) and that can cause an accident. I am smart enough to know I wouldn't make a good driver. Half the people on the roads are too dumb to drive but they drive anyways. They can't do the speed limit and they pass in no passing zones. People are dumb.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 7:58 pm

I am also unable to operate a motor-vehicle safely on a public road.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2009, 8:07 pm

I don't drive....slowly, anyway (Mustangs aren't supposed to be slow)

I have had bad vision nearly my entire life (20/70 in my good eye, and can count fingers with my left on a good day.) While I have learned to compensate, I do have issues with depth perception. If traffic permits, I use the "two-second rule" - when a line passes the back tires of the car in front of me, I count off "onethousand one..etc. If that line disappears from my windshield by "onethousand two", I'm too close. I allow extra time for bad weather as well.

Night driving is still a pain in the butt for me, though, so I avoid it whenever possible. If I do, I stick to very well-lit roads.

But other than that, I for one like to drive. My car is in some ways my sanctuary.

And my parents live in Oklahoma City, 120 miles from me. It'd take a while to get there by foot.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:26 pm

LordKristov wrote:
I don't drive....slowly, anyway (Mustangs aren't supposed to be slow)

I have had bad vision nearly my entire life (20/70 in my good eye, and can count fingers with my left on a good day.) While I have learned to compensate, I do have issues with depth perception. If traffic permits, I use the "two-second rule" - when a line passes the back tires of the car in front of me, I count off "onethousand one..etc. If that line disappears from my windshield by "onethousand two", I'm too close. I allow extra time for bad weather as well.

Night driving is still a pain in the butt for me, though, so I avoid it whenever possible. If I do, I stick to very well-lit roads.

But other than that, I for one like to drive. My car is in some ways my sanctuary.

And my parents live in Oklahoma City, 120 miles from me. It'd take a while to get there by foot.

Ditto here. I love to drive my (turbo) Mazda. And it actually seems to gasp for oxygen when I do the speed limit or below. My single-minded focus and tunnel-vision actually helps. Its just like a video game, really.

I can't talk to passengers or on the phone - but I'm not complaining.

My car is also my sanctuary and driving the open country roads of Georgia is my therapy. I have a radar detector and a GPS that tells me the speed limit - which is actually more helpful than the driving directions. I have an internal compass, photographic memory, and a pretty decent spatial brain - something of a geographic savant.

I've spent some time flying around the highways of OK, KS, TX, and MO. I don't think MO has speed limits! What is that one - I-40? Poor man's autobahn.

But I also have horrible night-vision and am prone to falling asleep on really sunny days and long drives. I just don't drive in those conditions.

The depth perception isn't a big deal - I also count the seconds between myself and the car in front of - but that's just being a good driver. But it goes something more like this; one Mississippi, two Mississippi... :) Safety first! (I hate tailgaters!)

OK - so that's one of my two or three only "normal" skills - so its nothing to brag about. Plus its bad for the environment.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 8:42 pm

I just got my license a few months back. Day by day being behind the wheel feels more and more natural (and fun).

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2009, 8:56 pm

MmeLePen wrote:
I can't talk to passengers or on the phone - but I'm not complaining.

My car is also my sanctuary and driving the open country roads of Georgia is my therapy. I have a radar detector and a GPS that tells me the speed limit - which is actually more helpful than the driving directions. I have an internal compass, photographic memory, and a pretty decent spatial brain - something of a geographic savant.

Nothing drives me to road rage faster than somebody talking on their cell while they're driving!

I have geographic savantism, in a way. If I'm the one driving, I can remember how to get to where I want to go. If I'm not......the driver is usually waking me up when we get to our destination.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:14 am

Oh good I'm not the only one.

The thing is, I was thinking about taking another driver's test but I'm afraid of going through another wreck if it should happen.

Also, at the time this happen, I had no idea I had aspergers. I couldn't comprehend or understand why people my age just drove like it was nothing while I had to struggle with incoming traffic and such.

Not so sure if I want to drive again but with public transportation being so limited, I feel I have no other option.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:29 am

I can barely cross a busy street, let alone drive.
I have had to deal with having road raging parents, which makes me not want to be on the road if there are more people like them on it. And there's a lot of things you have to do at once and I can't even concentrate while listening to a person talk.
I suppose it will be one of those big goals to reach, but right now I'm poor and a little bit scared of driving.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:33 am

Must also have a lot to do with too much stimuli.

I too react with noise and get overly sensative with angry drivers.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

05 Mar 2009, 7:00 am

MissConstrue wrote:
I wonder if this is part of my ASD issue which is trouble in depth perception and coordination. I had many accidents due to driving.

My dad adviced me that it was probably not best for me to drive anymore. Well I didn't listen to him and eventually got into a huge wreck!! !!

Now it's been 2 years and I don't drive. The biggest trouble is not having public transportation wherever needed.

So there's my story.

Anyone else with this problem?

I didn't get my license until I was in my mid twenties. It takes a lot of focus and I don't drive very often and when I do its only a few blocks to the store. I try to do it as little as possible.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:05 am

I'm a non-driver in my thirties.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 7:14 am

I am a non driver too: But this has nothing to do with being Aspie, but with the simple fact that I live in central London and a car is just not a reasonable mean to get around here. I much faster with bicycle and public transport.

LordKristov
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 7:57 am

Dussel wrote:
I am a non driver too: But this has nothing to do with being Aspie, but with the simple fact that I live in central London and a car is just not a reasonable mean to get around here. I much faster with bicycle and public transport.

Sounds like New York City here in the States. Most people get around by cab, bike, or foot. A lot of New Yorkers don't even bother with cars, from what I'm told. If nothing else, because of the costs to park the thing.

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2009, 8:09 am

I don't drive it costs to much for lessons.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:58 am

ngonz wrote:
I also have trouble with depth perception due to 'lazy eye'. Is that what you have, too? I didn't drive until I was 25. I had a lot of anxiety about it.

My son doesn't drive because he gets too stressed out---too much input, and he freaks out trying to keep track of all that is coming at him, and all that he needs to watch for. Driving is really a multitasking skill, and he has problems multitasking.

He and I are both Aspie.

Hi ngonz, I'm not sure if you were writing to me or to another one, but as for me, I've never heard the expression 'lazy eye', but it might be true. If not now, then when I was a kid (2-5 years).
Then I sometimes only used my longsighted eye, and at those times I had to wear a plaster on that eye, so I was forced to use the shortsighted one. But after that age it wasn't necessary anymore.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 3:13 pm

I tried to learn, but I never got out of the parking lot. I have horrible visual-spatial cues, so that inhibits me greatly from driving. Plus, I'm not good at predicting others' actions, which is key in driving, and my OCD makes me fear hurting somebody or breaking a driving law. I doubt I'll ever drive. I don't really care. There are other means of transportation.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?