Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 7:09 pm

Some of you sound very much like my little brother, who's also an Aspie. He speaks very loudly and seems to get louder the more excited he becomes. He has a strong urge to express all of his thoughts in words and hates silence; he makes odd noises and sings out loud just to fill it.

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 8:14 pm

I hate silence as well.

I usually speak in a monotone voice around people I don't know, and more warmly around the couple people I'm close to. I also tend to mispronounce things often, especially sentences that have words starting with the same letters, or with similar sounds. And I speak very quietly, people are always asking me to repeat what I just said. It's quite annoying, and I sound perfectly normal to myself volume wise.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 8:25 pm

Tragedyanne wrote:
I usually speak in a monotone voice around people I don't know, and more warmly around the couple people I'm close to.

I, too, speak in a monotone around strangers. I suspect my voice puts people off, for I sound like an angry robot-scotsman.

When I was a child I used to speak very quietly. Now I'm much better at using the right volume.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 8:57 pm

Holinyx wrote:
aye, same with me. Most of the time i speak very softly, mumble, and people are constantly telling me they can't hear me. but if i'm on a roll and talking about something i'm really interested in, i can be loud and not realize it. my 5 year old son talks extremely loud with everything he says. hurts my ears everytime he says anything, drives me crazy. the sooner we're diagnosed, the better.

why, do noises get softer if you are diagnosed?

Merle

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2009, 9:17 am

McTell wrote:
Tragedyanne wrote:
I usually speak in a monotone voice around people I don't know, and more warmly around the couple people I'm close to.

I, too, speak in a monotone around strangers. I suspect my voice puts people off, for I sound like an angry robot-scotsman.

When I was a child I used to speak very quietly. Now I'm much better at using the right volume.

I also talk in a flat, monotonous voice, even to people I know. I've been said to "sound evil". I guess I can sound quite sinister.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 1:20 am

I'm generally either too loud or too soft. Never the right volume.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 1:34 am

People are always telling me my voice is too quiet/soft/low.....
It's wierd because when I'm speaking, I don't feel as if I'm speaking softly at all. In fact, when I try to speak louder for others to hear me, I feel as if I'm screaming & it makes me feel very uncomfortable. So I usually just talk at my normal tone which is too soft for most people.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:39 am

my tone often changes, but i'm generally loud, it's more of a reflex though since i'm half deaf. <.<

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:19 am

On reflection, I should add that I can be very loud myself, especially when singing, and many of the singers I admire have/had very strong voices......Steve Marriott, Aretha Franklin, Leslie West, Pat Benatar..... 8)
But I think the difference is that with music it's usually a lot more controlled, it's up to me whether I play a CD or go to a show, these people aren't gong to suddenly invade my peaceful world. Similarly, when I sing loud, the audience knows what they're going to get, and if I'm just practising, I can't even hit my top notes if I even suspect that I might be overheard by anybody who might not approve.

I also have occasionally been guilty of talking very loudly, because of my enthusiasm getting the better of me, but I always feel guilty about that, and I stop it as soon as I realise what I'm doing, whch is usually very quickly.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

Yeah, I'm always talking too quiet. I can't talk to some someone without them saying "what?" because they can't hear me.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2009, 5:15 pm

im actually both depends where i am.
at school im extremely shy and i dont talk at all and when i do im really quiet.
at home im too loud and i get told all the time that im too loud.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 12:34 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes through this. my husband complains all the time that I'm either yelling or mumbling and he just did it again this morning and I'm afraid I flipped out on his a little and I felt like I was yelling when I explained I can't really tell how loud I'm talking and he acted like it should be easy. WELL IT'S NOT. and he's AS too so why doesn't he understand that I really don't know and it's bothering me a lot and I wonder if there's a decibel reader I can use when I talk so I know how loud I am. especially if it measures against ambient noise. then I could practice using it and maybe do better.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm

People have always told me that i talk too quietly. When i get really into a topic of discussion, however, sometimes it goes the other way and i'm "too loud." My NT mom has a habit of talking too loudly a lot when out in public, too.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

maybe I'm being overly sensitive about it. my husband says I am. I guess I could just try to build another filter, this one called "volume check".

it will go like this.

1. check ambient noise level (this will take a lot of practice)
2. calculate distance from person I intend to speak to (PIITST) (no problem, excellent spatial skills)
3. inventory potentially sound-blocking obstacles between me and PIITST, for instance "walls" or "doors". (could be a distracting process, but I can practice)
4. determine whether PIITST has head inside cupboard or refrigerator.
5. if 4 = false, calculate volume based on conditions 1 through 3.
6. continually monitor conditions 1 through 3 for changes.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 12:16 pm

My voice can be both. If I talk to someone in a very casual manner I'm usually very quiet. If I'm talking to someone I know and I'm talking about something I like or am excited about, I tend to sound very loud and not realize it and then I'm told I'm too loud. It's very frustrating, either I'm too quiet or I'm too loud. I can't flippin win.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 3:49 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Yes, I have always spoken too loudly. I don't even realize that I'm doing it. But I'm often told that I'm "shouting" or something, and my mom has to remind me to be quieter a lot. I don't speak in a monotone like some Aspies do, but I speak very loudly and very fast. I dominate any conversation I'm in, because I'm like a wind-up toy: Once I start talking, I can't stop until I'm finished, so nobody else gets a word in edgewise. :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

This... almost exactly. I talk too loud when I get excited or passionate about something. I mumble or talk too quietly if I'm uninterested.