Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MarchViolets
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 May 2009, 10:41 am

Quote:
(whereas in fact if you do feel fear of moving around in the environment unassisted, it is probably because you are in real danger as a result of not "loosing function" due to over-stimulus).

If I could process that I was in trouble, and feel afraid, I think I’d have half the problems I actually have. The problem is complete and utter lack of awareness (and subsequently lack of fear). I do completely agree with the point you're making though and avoid the word "agoraphobia" whenever it's brought up.

Quote:
This is a "spacial processing" problem clearly, and from the sounds of what you describe, appears to be additional to (rather than merely arising from) any problems arising due to being overwhelmed.

Completely agree with you, but people seem to only focus on my sensory problems. You’re right that the other part is proprioceptive, I have fairly severe problems in that area as well. While the terms categorise each part of the problem, as a person it all feels like part of the same experience.

Quote:
you have difficulties arising from sensory processing deficits (resulting in an inability to make sense of your immediate environment when overwhelmed by environmental stimulus, resulting in significant impairments in navigation within the environment), spatial reasoning deficits (with complications for navigation and profound negative effects on your ability to mentally map or meaningfully comprehend environments spatially"), with additional motor-coordination deficits probably entailing proprioception issues.

Is there a way I can employ you? :lol: You summarised wonderfully.

Also, I’ve come across the term “topographic agnosia” (link: http://www.newhorizons.org/spneeds/incl ... kdale.html ) which might go some way to covering the navigational problems I’m experiencing? Perhaps I should talk to my GP or something.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:48 am

Interesting link.

Topographical agnosia might not be something your GP would know about (although your GP might be able to refer you to someone who would, perhaps an occupational therapist).

It might though be a useful means of conveying to this social worker the inadequacy of his proposed solution, particularly if you include with this information about sensory processing and how being overwhelmed by environmental stimulus negatively impacts on functioning (further complicating the issue by making it difficult to rely on cognitively demanding adaptive and coping strategies).

I hope things work out well for you.

obnoxiously-me
Raven
Raven

15 May 2009, 7:59 am

I not generally care for social workers. I have seen plenty, and they don't help me at all, as they do not have a general understanding of what I'm dealing with.

Them looking at me like I'm the strangest person on the planet is also not good for my self-confidence.

If this person is not someone you trust or feel comfortable with, perhaps you could get someone else?