Are most people with Asperger's Atheists?

Page 11 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

I'm not really anything in particular, just a little kitty who believes in imaginary and fantastical things. :)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2016, 12:44 am

I went to Catholic school and I "kind of" believed in God but as I got older the belief just drifted away. It did not seem the least bit likely at all to me.

Hatome
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2016, 1:00 am

I don't identify as atheist because everyone I know who does firmly believes there is nothing godlike out there. Since I don't like believing things I cannot become a part of a group which works off belief but in the other direction.

I consider myself no religion and no beliefs about anything. I dislike belief and prefer to know or have tentative guesses I have to work from in order to survive. These guesses get mistaken for belief but they have nothing in common, its more that I cannot test everything myself and so I must just make the best guess possible. Like if a doctor prescribes medication I take it and hope they are right. I have no way of knowing but that doesn't mean I believe the doctor, I'm just having to make a guess (and I hate that but what else can you do).

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2016, 4:49 am

I wasn't brought up in any religion and, as far as I can recall, I have always been an agnostic atheist. I'm a meerkat during weddings and funerals; when everyone else has their heads bowed, I'm sat upright, looking around the church a the architecture.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 5:19 am

I could not survive without the promise of a better life waiting for me in eternity.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 7:22 am

I suspect we could be either atheists of followers of a particular persuation, depending on the individual and all the surrounding circumstances.

From my own experience, when I haveadopted a path it tends to be a lot more than just lip service. I took great delight in reading up widely, not just beliefes and scriptures, but comentary, biography of importnat figures, procedures of "Church Government" for want of a better term and so forth. I suspect the whole thing rather joined my collection of "Special Interests" in that particulalrly Aspie sense of the word.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 11:31 am

I don't know if most aspies would be atheists, I can only speak for myself. I am.

GenX
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2016, 4:22 pm

Me too. Would love to see some stats.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 4:33 pm

I am Diyinian. Its a one of the smaller religions in the world; but has a rich spiritual and intellectual heritage.
I prefer it for its emphasis on moral living, good character, the advancement of knowledge, the development of moral and intellectual capabilities, and tolerance for other those of other religious belief.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 7:19 pm

^Diyinian. I googled the word and found zilch. Can you link a site to the religion? Thanks.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 11:36 am

im an athiest mainly because if i cant hold it or see it, it isnt real. and you might say "but you cant see pluto, yet its there" well thats because i CAN go and see it if i want, so that makes sense. so basically i need physical proof to believe

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 11:38 am

I come from a part-Catholic and part-Jewish family. I don't really identify with any religion, but I definitely believe in God.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

I was raised without religion or any manner of belief system; I ultimately converted to Christianity in my mid-20s after years of studying theology and spirituality. That's just my own story; I don't think there's any correlation between Asperger's and atheism.

lastchild3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2016, 2:34 pm

I am not an atheist but my strong moral(a positive of high functioning autistic woman/girl) see special needs jungle) brought me to God through my brother and since 18 years old I have always been loved by a God who made me and knew of me before I was conceived and has plans to prosper me not to harm and give me a future. I am not broken or imperfect but loved completely by God. My life hasn't been a bed of roses roses have thorns! But I know God is be with me to the end of my life.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2016, 2:42 pm

I'm a scientist, not an atheist. I also like the satanic bible, it really speaks to my moral standards except for the ritual part.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 2:45 pm

As an aspie I think in black and white. My rigid thinking is strong. I can't do abstract or gray - it's either this or that. If there's a God, I'll need absolute proof. A Bible is not proof, just a collection of books. The existence of animals and trees is not proof. The existence of planets and stars are not proof. I'm not a guesser. I MUST have proof. How someone can be an aspie, and "think" there is a God so there "must" be a God, absolutely makes no sense and seems contradictory to being on the spectrum.