Gender Identity Disorder and Asperger's Syndrnome.

Page 11 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Do you have gender issues?
Yes, I do have gender issues and I have AS 54%  54%  [ 163 ]
Yes, I do have gender issues, but not AS 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
No, I do not have gender issues, but have AS 42%  42%  [ 128 ]
No, I don't have either of the two 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 304

rosewood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

Pileo wrote:
I'm really surprised by the numbers. I was expecting lower 'Aspie/Gender Issues' and higher 'Asper/Non Gender Issues'.

I'm a FTM transsexual and undiagnosed aspie. Always wanted to be a man my whole life.

Yes, the numbers surprise me too.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression here but could it possibly be the case that deficits in social cognition impede or delay the final establishment of secure gender identity in people with ASD?

Does a female gender identity in a genetic male tend to mask any ASD that may be present? Does a male gender identity in a genetic female tend to make any ASD that is present more apparent?

I'm thinking that this forum might be a good place to help formulate what the key research questions ought to be.

... plus ca change ...

olwen

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

I never felt like a "girl" and was never comfortable idenifying as one until everyone gave up trying to force sterotypes on me. I wonder if most of these "transgender" kids are really just so sick and tired of having gender sterotypes forced upon them. I felt more as if I was born the wrong SPECIES more than I ever felt like I was born the wrong gender.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 2:26 am

rosewood wrote:
Pileo wrote:
I'm really surprised by the numbers. I was expecting lower 'Aspie/Gender Issues' and higher 'Asper/Non Gender Issues'.

I'm a FTM transsexual and undiagnosed aspie. Always wanted to be a man my whole life.

Yes, the numbers surprise me too.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression here but could it possibly be the case that deficits in social cognition impede or delay the final establishment of secure gender identity in people with ASD?

Does a female gender identity in a genetic male tend to mask any ASD that may be present? Does a male gender identity in a genetic female tend to make any ASD that is present more apparent?

I'm thinking that this forum might be a good place to help formulate what the key research questions ought to be.

... plus ca change ...

olwen

I'm not sure I still have the link to the article, but there was a study completed that showed a higher incidence of ASDs in those with GID (gender identity disorder) than in the general population.

I believe the study was completed analyzing patients at a facility specifically for those identified has having GID, compared against a same-size sample of individuals from the area's general population.

I'm definitely interested in what might cause this apparent correlation.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 3:18 pm

I've always felt much more male than female, to the point that I've changed the gender in my profile to Male last year around this time. I told my best friend to guess what I wanted for Christmas around the same time. He said, "We all know what you want for Christmas." meaning a sex change. I feel that we should stop painting each other with pink and blue brushes and start accepting everybody as they are.

rosewood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2012, 3:40 pm

There's another thing I've noticed here, at least in this thread: There are lots of aspies here and we're all supposed to be a bit socially impaired ... but with this amount of posting on other non-aspie forums I've used, you'd have seen a few flame wars by now ...

... curiouser and curiouser ...

... but nice, nonetheless ...

:D

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Apr 2012, 10:09 pm

The study that fragileclover mentions found ~5% of the people being treated for GID in the study met the criteria for an ASD.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

rosewood wrote:
Cognitive ability has helped me to compensate *well but by no means perfectly* for A-traits. I certainly agree, however, that it does not in itself equate to the ability to cope. However smooth I can make everyday social interaction appear, it remains a very tiring performance and I can be completely drained at - or even long before - the end of the day. (In comparison wrangling with abstract mathematics is far less tiring - and I often find it quite relaxing).

The psychologist who did my assessment at CLASS said that she did not want to "pathologize" difficulties that she thought might in themselves be the result of high cognitive ability. I can to some degree understand that position but of course this leaves one in limbo as far as assessment goes. Having the gender reassignment surgery has stripped one layer of social facade and thereby *simplified* social performance but the baseline problem with A-deficits remains.

Okay, I responded a bit impulsively, as you were talking about yourself and not making a generalization (and I forgot to reply to this before).

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm

I think I would say I have more a problem with expectations put on gender roles by society, than gender itself. I feel perfectly fine being male and always have been, but I have nothing but disgust for whatever can be described as overly masculine. It's sexism and nobody seems to realize it.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:13 am

Sedaka wrote:
dexkaden wrote:
And if girl shirts didn't have silly sleeves or came in better colors, I'd wear those, too.

QFT...

Women's dressing stores always seem to look like the easter bunny just threw up in them... and he had been eating skittles.

Yes. I hate women's clothes with a passion. I'm very androgynous but am still comfortable being a woman physically

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:57 am

Boxman108 wrote:
I think I would say I have more a problem with expectations put on gender roles by society, than gender itself. I feel perfectly fine being male and always have been, but I have nothing but disgust for whatever can be described as overly masculine. It's sexism and nobody seems to realize it.

I don't know if it's sexism - I don't judge, to each their own - but yeah I don't really identify with the stereotype. It's an ill-fitting and uncomfortable suit for me.

That being said, my interests are mostly male-associated. I like strategy/wargames and military history for instance (but curiously enough, or perhaps not, I'm definately not a warmonger of any sort).

It's more in the areas of masculine pride I don't relate. I don't care that I'm not a stud or don't like sports or being all dominant with women. And I don't care that I don't care.

the-comander
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

i think girls that dress/act like guys are cute. im kinda afraid to say that out of fear of judgement.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 6:53 am

I'm on the spectrum and transgender. Unfortunately had to get slapped with the 'gender identity disorder' stick in order to get surgery, but don't believe being trans is an illness any more than being autistic is. It's a difference, not a sickness. It's understood that autistics don't think in the same way as neurotypical people, often don't see the same rules and social morays. We also relate to our bodies differently. Not so surprising that many would have a different understanding of gender.
For me its practical, not theoretical. I prefer my body to be a certain way, because it's more convenient and less physically painful. Hormonal transition also makes emotions much easier. Conjointly I prefer the way others treat me if they perceive me one way over the other. I'm not so interested in man/woman, male/female. Actually, its better if they can't decide and are forced to treat me like a person.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 7:51 am

I identify as genderqueer. I don't feel my mind is aligned correctly with my biological sex but at the same time its not dissociated enough to want to change my sex. I am both, yet I am neither. I am genderqueer.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 1:56 pm

I have HFA and I don't have gender issues.