Rant about people with "self-diagnosed" AS

Page 11 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2008, 1:09 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Selkie wrote:
*nods* I think it is a reasonable complaint to some extent. I know a couple of guys who claim they have AS. They were both raised by wealthy and entitled old hippies. Having become close with a legitimate asbie and having done a some reading on the subject, I suspect the two guys in question are booksmart and are feel too entitled to hold down a job, so they claim AS. :roll:

That is certainly an interesting information. As any professional on WP, I am interested in your degrees in clinical psychology or psychiatry and in what capacity you are making your diagnosis, Doctor.

respectfully,

Merle

Judging by the information given I have given previously, my convictions arise from empirical analysis and a bit of light reading. I have known both subjects over the couse of two years. I never stated that I was a doctor of any sort. I make my "diagnosis" in the capacity of a resonably intellegent human with the ability to make judgements based on observation.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 2:31 pm

Zancaur wrote:
I wish to make one more request to have this thread deleted. I said some stupid things that I regret, and I do not wish for people to track it back to me. Granted, it is a bit cowardly, but this is a name I relate to, and I intend to use it in future venues as well. I know that I should be held accountable for my words, but I would really like for people to show me some mercy here :P

If my friends google "zancaur" (which I use in every game and on every website) this would be one of the first things to pop up. They will then discover I have AS, and I'd go through the whole "is he my friend, or just acting nice?" thing again.

So please, I have admitted that I am wrong, could you not do me the favour of deleting the thread?

It would be much appreciated.

PS: I would appreciate it if you deleted every thread and post I have made on this forums. Even delete my profile if you could. I tend to obsess over things, and I am afraid of people finding out more information about me than I want them to know.

I don't mean this to sound corny, but I've really tried to be proud of my mistakes. As someone who is easily hurt by any non-positive critique whatsoever, it's been a part of my growing up.

I don't mean to be proud of a mistake, but to be proud of learning from it, for having the guts to admit to it-- and yes, that does take an incredible amount of guts.

I prefer someone such as yourself who is real, imperfections and all. Don't feel bad about it. The embarrassment will fade.

Being perfect isn't impressive. It's learning from your mistakes to make something better. Now that's impressive. ;)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Dreamer2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2008, 2:46 pm

Zancaur wrote:
If my friends google "zancaur" (which I use in every game and on every website) this would be one of the first things to pop up. They will then discover I have AS, and I'd go through the whole "is he my friend, or just acting nice?" thing again.

I googled "zancaur" and this discussion was actually the third thing that popped up...

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

09 May 2008, 2:48 pm

Specter wrote:
Zancaur wrote:

*raises an eyebrow* are you saying you understand why someone would not want people to know they have AS? interesting.

Specter, You come across as a young man who is generally respectful of others. It is my choice to keep my own DX private. I don't consider it anyone else's business unless I choose to tell them. At this point I have told one person that is not on this site. This is probably how it will stay.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 4:28 pm

velodog wrote:
Specter wrote:
Zancaur wrote:

*raises an eyebrow* are you saying you understand why someone would not want people to know they have AS? interesting.

Specter, You come across as a young man who is generally respectful of others. It is my choice to keep my own DX private. I don't consider it anyone else's business unless I choose to tell them. At this point I have told one person that is not on this site. This is probably how it will stay.

Aw, well thank you very much. :D I try to be respectful, even when I disagree. I've failed a few times in this very thread though, I must apologize. And I was pointing out that his own request for anonymity illustrates the point that not everyone wants to be very public with their diagnosis, or make strong attempts to get one.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

09 May 2008, 4:46 pm

Okay Specter with that clarification I see what I missed in your post the first time through. I understand what you were getting at now. No apology needed. :D

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 5:19 pm

velodog wrote:
Okay Specter with that clarification I see what I missed in your post the first time through. I understand what you were getting at now. No apology needed. :D

absolutely :D enjoy your beautiful Friday afternoon!! :D

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 8:22 pm

I haven't read this thread all the way through but I just want to say that I would not have known that there are people in the US who can't afford to get a diagnosis had this not come up here. So I'm glad the subject came up, although I'm sorry if people got hurt in the process.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2008, 8:32 pm

Anemone wrote:
I haven't read this thread all the way through but I just want to say that I would not have known that there are people in the US who can't afford to get a diagnosis had this not come up here. So I'm glad the subject came up, although I'm sorry if people got hurt in the process.

It is an insurance issue. I paid only $50US for my diagnosis. (That was my copayment.) Sadly, not all Americans have insurance.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 12:31 am

velodog wrote:
Specter wrote:
Zancaur wrote:

not if Selkie sees you, velodog! :wink: he will out you casually to the whole thread by describing your parentage and how you have or do not have AS by employing empirical analysis and a bit of light reading.

Merle

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

10 May 2008, 12:43 am

Guess I better watch myself then Merle. :D

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2008, 5:13 pm

sinsboldly wrote:

not if Selkie sees you, velodog! :wink: he will out you casually to the whole thread by describing your parentage and how you have or do not have AS by employing empirical analysis and a bit of light reading.

Merle

A judgement made by a bit of light reading and empirical analysis: glad we're in the same boat, Merle!

However, additional light reading would reveal that selkies are usually female. :wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 6:32 pm

Selkie wrote:
However, additional light reading would reveal that selkies are usually female. :wink:

What about the stories about how human women would call male selkies by dropping 7 tears into the water? Plus, I'm assuming there would be enough male selkies to ensure the continuation of the selkie species.

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2008, 7:25 pm

I said "usually" not "always".

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 7:43 pm

Selkie wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:

Merle

A judgement made by a bit of light reading and empirical analysis: glad we're in the same boat, Merle!

Actually I was quite acquainted with a male selkie, Selkie.

This is a song I sang from my youth, its an old Scottish song through the old Appalachian tradition.

The Great Silkie of Sules Skerry

An earthly nourris (nursing nanny) sits and sings
And aye she sings `Ba lily wain
And little ken( know) I my bairn's (child) father
Far less the land that he dwells in'.

Then one arose at her bedfoot
And a grumbly (frightening) guest I'm sure was he
Saying here am I, thy bairn's father
Although I be not comely (good lookin')

I am a man upon the land
I am a silkie on the sea
And when I'm far and far frae land
My home it is in Sules Skerry

And he has ta'en (took up)a purse of gold
And he has placed it upon her knee
Saying give to me my little young son
And take thee up thy nurse's(nanny's) fee

thanks for the memory.. there is more to the ballad, too, a prophesy.

Merle

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 11:02 pm

Selkie wrote:
I said "usually" not "always".

My point was that being familiar with the selkie legends (as sinsboldly apparently is anyway) would not necessarily lead one to to assume you are female. After all, there may be more stories about female selkies, but there was certainly plenty written about male selkies.

Sorry, I guess I was just annoyed because I didn't feel that was a particularly relevant jab at sinsboldly (apologies if that was not your intent), and I thought she had a good point about the conclusions you drew (and the judgments you made) on apparently very little evidence. After all, why do psychologists bother spending 9 years in school studying the mind when apparently all they need to make accurate diagnoses is a little "light reading?" Is the same true of the medical profession? If so, I can save a lot of money on doctor's visits.