Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?

Page 12 of 39 [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 39  Next

Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?
Yes 68%  68%  [ 100 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 147

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:34 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
People can recognize that they have autistic traits and adjust their ways of living accordingly, but I think that they should not say that they have autism without official diagnosis.

And how many times have you said this exact same thing now? I think everyone here by now gets the picture that you don't think people should not say they have autism unless they have an official diagnoses repeating it isn't going to make more people agree with you.

I think that you have also said many of the same things that you have said before, and I don't see what is the problem with me saying what I did.

My point is that recognizing autistic traits and adjusting ways of living does not require saying that one has autism when one is not diagnosed.

No problem with what you said, just that you've repeated it in those exact words time after time...as if saying it more will change peoples opinion or something or you think we're all to thick to have gotten the message the first 10 times.

Of course it does not 'require' that, but don't see how it is wrong...also not so sure people go around just blurting out 'Im autistic' if they identify as self diagnosed either, they probably only bring it up where the situation calls for it. Seems like its a wording you don't like and thus you think everyone should change how they word things if they think they have undiagnosed autism.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
starkid wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:
NiceCupOfTea wrote:
the guy might just have been a brooding child Romantic.
See? You're trying to render a diagnosis yourself, based on even less information.

"brooding child Romantic" is a diagnosis?
No, he's trying to declare affirmatively that he is CERTAIN that Hans Asperger was neurotypical. The thing is, he thinks that he's justified in stating a negative diagnosis just because some quack with a license and a big ego hasn't written a diagnosis to the contrary.

Are you serious? "might just have been a brooding child Romantic." MIGHT. As in, a possibility. That is not a negative diagnosis.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:35 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
starkid wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:
NiceCupOfTea wrote:
the guy might just have been a brooding child Romantic.
See? You're trying to render a diagnosis yourself, based on even less information.

"brooding child Romantic" is a diagnosis?
No, he's trying to declare affirmatively that he is CERTAIN that Hans Asperger was neurotypical. The thing is, he thinks that he's justified in stating a negative diagnosis just because some quack with a license and a big ego hasn't written a diagnosis to the contrary.

Yeah, mate.

You really don't have any clue what the difference between a diagnosis and an adjective (describing word) is, do you?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:36 pm

I post my opinion in my words whenever anyone says or seems to suggest that I meant something other than what I said, so it can be clear what I ackshuly said.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:37 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

Diagnostic criteria for autism are not primarily defined by introspection, but that doesn't mean that self-report can't be part of the professional diagnosis process. Self-report generally is part of the process for HFA adults. What I said was not a lie.

I did not suggest they where...also self report IS part of the diagnoses process, and considered an important part of it along side the outside observation, observation from people who have known you growing up, and then the various cognition tests and what not are all part of the diagnoses process.

So to say diagnoses is not based on introspection is a lie as that is actually a rather major part of the process.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

dianthus wrote:
hybridglitch wrote:
It didn't occur to me that if I ever, for some reason, want children, I'll likely not be allowed to adopt due to this diagnosis on my record.

That's something I hadn't even thought about...although I know I don't want children of my own, if I ever married someone who already had children I would probably want to be able to adopt them.

You wouldn't have to adopt them I don't think...you'd just by default become their step-parent.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Autism is defined from the outside by behavior, not by introspection from first-person perspective.

That is a lie autism is also defined by introspection from the first person perspective...

When you where diagnosed did they skip the part where they ask you questions about your symptoms and how they effect you or something?

Isn't there a difference between the definition of autism and the diagnostic process for autism?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:40 pm

starkid wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Autism is defined from the outside by behavior, not by introspection from first-person perspective.

That is a lie autism is also defined by introspection from the first person perspective...

When you where diagnosed did they skip the part where they ask you questions about your symptoms and how they effect you or something?

Isn't there a difference between the definition of autism and the diagnostic process for autism?

Yes I suppose I more mean it is part of the diagnoses process....since the definition would just be a description of autism.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

08 Dec 2014, 4:41 pm

I love adding to my own confusion. that is why I write this stuff. I design what I write to be confusing, and maybe somehow true. How is that any different than what I'm reading here? All of you help me real well with that.

The way I understand social cognition is basically thought policing from psychologists. How is that not a control tactic?

They invented an idea that requires an outside source... and money.

Everything goes in a big circle. That is why this post, and others like it go on and on and on. It is called circular conversation. It is endless. Yet but another PD trait that psychology has both created, and invented.

It doesn't end.

If a psychologists job was making a healthy mind, people would be able to prove to insurance companies that promoting health would incur less cost. Psychology would be an invaluable resource.

But it's not.

The government steps in with a disabilities act.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Diagnostic criteria for autism are not primarily defined by introspection, but that doesn't mean that self-report can't be part of the professional diagnosis process. Self-report generally is part of the process for HFA adults. What I said was not a lie.

I did not suggest they where...also self report IS part of the diagnoses process, and considered an important part of it along side the outside observation, observation from people who have known you growing up, and then the various cognition tests and what not are all part of the diagnoses process.

So to say diagnoses is not based on introspection is a lie as that is actually a rather major part of the process.

No, I did not lie.
If you look at the autism diagnostic criteria, you can see that autism is not defined by introspection.
If it were, the criteria would be a list of how autistic people think inside their minds instead of how they behave for others to observe.
I have said many times that self-report is part of the diagnostic process, but introspection does not define autism and is unlikely to in future.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:43 pm

IQ testing is also regularly part of the diagnostic process for autism, but IQ does not define autism.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Problems with professional diagnosis and diagnostic procedures currently in use don't legitimize self-diagnosis.
It fully proves that a well-thought-out self-diagnosis is probably more reliable than a "diagnosis" by an agency that doesn't even try to apply the gold-standards used in screening for ASD.

No, it does not prove that self-diagnosis is more reliable.
Well, your mentality is very dangerous and could potentially be lethal. You need to understand that there are disreputable psychiatric practices out there that go to strong antipsychotic medications without detour or put children on strong stimulant medication without performing empirical tests to make sure they don't have a condition for which strong stimulant medication is contraindicated. Your kind of thinking could actually get someone killed.

I insist that interim self-assessment, combined with seeking out a reputable clinic that is equipped to use appropriate diagnostic instruments, is the safest route.

I never said that interim self-assessment such as recognizing one's autistic traits with plans to seek out a professional clinic is a problem.
I said that people saying that they have autism without official diagnosis is not good in my opinion.
I must continue to state this opinion in these words just to keep the record straight of what I said.
Well, I must underline the importance of seeking out a clinic that is using appropriate diagnostic instruments, rather than running into the nearest shady psychiatric firm without stopping first to perform actual research and figure out the lay of the land. Interim self-diagnosis provides for this sort of repose.

I do agree that people who genuinely do have an ASD ought to seek out a high-quality clinic, simply because the services that are provided by a really good clinic are above and beyond just writing prescriptions for medications. The TEACCH system is something that I have been exposed to. It has tremendous empirical support, and it works extremely well. I've seen it transform people's lives. As a matter of fact, the psychiatrist in charge of my case actually works at the university that pioneered TEACCH.

I am someone who has seen the practice of psychiatry and clinical psychology at both extremes, and I also am very aware of how hard it is to actually learn the lay of the land well enough to safely navigate the system.

Last edited by Persimmonpudding on 08 Dec 2014, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

yournamehere wrote:
I love adding to my own confusion. that is why I write this stuff. I design what I write to be confusing

I was wondering why your posts made no sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

Social cognition is not thought policing from psychologists.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
No, I did not lie.
If you look at the autism diagnostic criteria, you can see that autism is not defined by introspection.
If it were, the criteria would be a list of how autistic people think inside their minds instead of how they behave for others to observe.
I have said many times that self-report is part of the diagnostic process, but introspection does not define autism and is unlikely to in future.

And to anybody still confused by this post, the key word is define. Go to any reputable autism website and look up a list of the characteristics of autism/Asperger's. Most behaviours will be observable from the outside to astute observers. How do you think non-verbal children get diagnosed? They don't have the luxury of being able to "introspect" and go on and on about themselves at great length, unlike half the adults on WP.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
dianthus wrote:
hybridglitch wrote:
It didn't occur to me that if I ever, for some reason, want children, I'll likely not be allowed to adopt due to this diagnosis on my record.

That's something I hadn't even thought about...although I know I don't want children of my own, if I ever married someone who already had children I would probably want to be able to adopt them.

You wouldn't have to adopt them I don't think...you'd just by default become their step-parent.

True you don't have to adopt, but adopting a step-child takes things a step further. That way if something happens to their biological parents, the step-parent is still a legal guardian. Or if the step-parent dies, they can inherit from that step-parent the same as a biological child would.