Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?

Page 13 of 39 [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 39  Next

Is self-diagnosis okay/valid/a good thing?
Yes 68%  68%  [ 100 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 147

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
Well, I must underline the importance of seeking out a clinic that is using appropriate diagnostic instruments, rather than running into the nearest shady psychiatric firm without stopping first to perform actual research and figure out the lay of the land. Interim self-diagnosis provides for this sort of repose.

No it doesn't. Why do you keep suggesting that self-diagnosis has some sort of magical power to help people stay away from bad doctors? I asked you in the other thread, and you never responded.

To stay away from "shady" psychiatrists, all one has to do is NOT GO. Self-diagnosis is not required and is not even relevant.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

I think that if I remember rightly the vast majority of my diagnosis was the psychiatrist observing my behavior, the way I communicated with him and my reactions and the way I responded to him.

He did ask me a hell of a lot of questions about me, but in the report most of what he said were of his actual observations at the time of the appointment.

I actually believe (although I might be wrong) that he made his diagnosis within the first few minutes of talking to me.

I think that people who know, know and people who don't know, don't know.

I reckon that I know myself pretty well, but I wouldn't know myself enough to diagnose myself. But that's mainly because I've not got the time, nor have I the inclination to want to study such a thing at any great length.

YES! I spelled length right first time round.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2014, 4:58 pm

starkid wrote:
Why do you keep suggesting that self-diagnosis has some sort of magical power to help people stay away from bad doctors?
It's hardly magical. I think that there is a peril that some people might try to seek diagnosis prematurely, hoping for some sick form of self-validation. A more empowered individual is, from my point-of-view, a lot more likely to be discriminating and more likely to ask intelligent questions about the screening instruments beings used.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

08 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm

Always question your assumptions.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

Persimmonpudding wrote:
starkid wrote:
Why do you keep suggesting that self-diagnosis has some sort of magical power to help people stay away from bad doctors?
It's hardly magical. I think that there is a peril that some people might try to seek diagnosis prematurely, hoping for some sick form of self-validation. A more empowered individual is, from my point-of-view, a lot more likely to be discriminating and more likely to ask intelligent questions about the screening instruments beings used.

So self-diagnosis empowers people to be more discriminating about which doctor they see? How?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:28 pm

starkid wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
I love adding to my own confusion. that is why I write this stuff. I design what I write to be confusing

I was wondering why your posts made no sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Apparently they only make sense to me. I have been told before that I make no sense. I question everything. Sometimes in ways that only I may understand. It is my way to learn, and understand. It is all a matter of interpretation. Action, and reaction. Who's shoes you're standing in too.

There is a difference between making no sence, making some sence, having a lie that is the truth, or having truth in your lies. Rules can be bent, broken, and replaced with something better. What all of you are talking about is not the truth. It is an idea. That is all. To have the audacity to tell me that I make no sence, and the things that people are talking about here is right, and true like it is carved in stone to never be changed is a bold statement. There is a lie on the inside. it does not know, and it does not believe.

I don't believe you.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:45 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Social cognition is not thought policing from psychologists.

social cognition
In the area of social psychology, social cognition refers to a specific approach in which these processes are studied according to the methods of cognitive psychology and information processing theory.

O.k. so it is a methodical theory of somekind. I misinterpreted it. I actually thought they had an idea of how people are supposed to think.

Is there a right or wrong in social cognition, or can I think any way I want?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

Of course you can think however you want.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:21 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Diagnostic criteria for autism are not primarily defined by introspection, but that doesn't mean that self-report can't be part of the professional diagnosis process. Self-report generally is part of the process for HFA adults. What I said was not a lie.

I did not suggest they where...also self report IS part of the diagnoses process, and considered an important part of it along side the outside observation, observation from people who have known you growing up, and then the various cognition tests and what not are all part of the diagnoses process.

So to say diagnoses is not based on introspection is a lie as that is actually a rather major part of the process.

No, I did not lie.
If you look at the autism diagnostic criteria, you can see that autism is not defined by introspection.
If it were, the criteria would be a list of how autistic people think inside their minds instead of how they behave for others to observe.
I have said many times that self-report is part of the diagnostic process, but introspection does not define autism and is unlikely to in future.

None of the things you mention define autism either...those are all just parts of the diagnostic process just like the introspection/ self report of symptoms. Though DSM criterias are basic symptom lists and not very in depth at all hence why they cannot simply check off a list of DSM symptoms to make a diagnoses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:24 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
No, I did not lie.
If you look at the autism diagnostic criteria, you can see that autism is not defined by introspection.
If it were, the criteria would be a list of how autistic people think inside their minds instead of how they behave for others to observe.
I have said many times that self-report is part of the diagnostic process, but introspection does not define autism and is unlikely to in future.

And to anybody still confused by this post, the key word is define. Go to any reputable autism website and look up a list of the characteristics of autism/Asperger's. Most behaviours will be observable from the outside to astute observers. How do you think non-verbal children get diagnosed? They don't have the luxury of being able to "introspect" and go on and on about themselves at great length, unlike half the adults on WP.

A lot of non-verbal people with autism can communicate via typing, aside from that though obviously in their case outside observation has to be relied on moreso than a verbal person with autism..unless of course they are able to type out what they are thinking in which case they can go into detail.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

dianthus wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
dianthus wrote:
hybridglitch wrote:
It didn't occur to me that if I ever, for some reason, want children, I'll likely not be allowed to adopt due to this diagnosis on my record.

That's something I hadn't even thought about...although I know I don't want children of my own, if I ever married someone who already had children I would probably want to be able to adopt them.

You wouldn't have to adopt them I don't think...you'd just by default become their step-parent.

True you don't have to adopt, but adopting a step-child takes things a step further. That way if something happens to their biological parents, the step-parent is still a legal guardian. Or if the step-parent dies, they can inherit from that step-parent the same as a biological child would.

I thought that was the case, that if the birth parent died and there is a step parent they would get custody. I have never heard of step-parents adopting their step children....I really don't know just seems weird that such a step would actually need to be taken for those things.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Diagnostic criteria for autism are not primarily defined by introspection, but that doesn't mean that self-report can't be part of the professional diagnosis process. Self-report generally is part of the process for HFA adults. What I said was not a lie.

I did not suggest they where...also self report IS part of the diagnoses process, and considered an important part of it along side the outside observation, observation from people who have known you growing up, and then the various cognition tests and what not are all part of the diagnoses process.

So to say diagnoses is not based on introspection is a lie as that is actually a rather major part of the process.

No, I did not lie.

None of the things you mention define autism either...those are all just parts of the diagnostic process just like the introspection/ self report of symptoms. Though DSM criterias are basic symptom lists and not very in depth at all hence why they cannot simply check off a list of DSM symptoms to make a diagnoses.

I said that autism is currently defined by clinically observed behaviors, as they are in DSM or ICD criteria and clinical observation tests like ADOS. You can question the criteria and tests, but you cannot claim that autism is defined by introspection when it is defined by behavior.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

No, I did not lie.

I said that autism is currently defined by clinically observed behaviors, as they are in DSM or ICD criteria and clinical observation tests like ADOS. You can question the criteria and tests, but you cannot claim that autism is defined by introspection when it is defined by behavior.

Well... you cant have one without the other now can you? I don't believe you either.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

yournamehere wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

No, I did not lie.

Well... you cant have one without the other now can you? I don't believe you either.

I don't understand what you said about having one without the other. What is one, and what is the other?

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
NiceCupOfTea wrote:
And to anybody still confused by this post, the key word is define. Go to any reputable autism website and look up a list of the characteristics of autism/Asperger's. Most behaviours will be observable from the outside to astute observers. How do you think non-verbal children get diagnosed? They don't have the luxury of being able to "introspect" and go on and on about themselves at great length, unlike half the adults on WP.

A lot of non-verbal people with autism can communicate via typing, aside from that though obviously in their case outside observation has to be relied on moreso than a verbal person with autism..unless of course they are able to type out what they are thinking in which case they can go into detail.

I think you've missed out a key word in my post - "children". More specifically, very young children or older children who may or may not be verbal. Even if they are verbal, that doesn't indicate a capacity for self-reflection. Even NT children don't have much insight into their own behaviour; abstract thought doesn't properly develop until adolescence.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

rebbieh wrote:
I'm not sure this is a good idea (sorry if it isn't) because I really don't want to cause any trouble, but after reading the last few posts in the thread "Critical of self diagnosis - You shouldn't be" I just wanted to make this poll to see what you all really think. It's a simple yes or no question: do you think self-diagnosis is okay/valid/a good thing?

Feel free to discuss it and explain why you voted the way you did, but please refrain from any kind of bashing. Be kind. Everyone's welcome here.

Thank you.

I am not sure about it. But I really follow the criteria when doing this and based on my life experiences. I am already diagnosed with an ASD but self diagnosed with another ASD. However, for safety reasons I will not fully stick to this, just my opinion on what my diagnosis should of been based on my life. Experts say that self diagnosis in mental conditions is so dangerous than even doctors, themselves, are discouraged from doing it. I did it anyway because I did not know if the self diagnosis danger also applies to developmental disabilities (which is different from mental disorder ie Mania) but self diagnosis is good only for small temporary diseases like the Common Cold. So my answer for sure would be NO. And that is also why I am not really on top of my self diagnosis as if that was my official diagnosis.