Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 15 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

I would love to come, if I had a passport. But, sadly, I don't.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

NZaspiegirl016 wrote:

You can always get one before the conference.

I went to the passport agency and got a passport in the mail in less than a week.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm

sunshower wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
Since you ask so nicely I shall attend :)

I was teasing before BTW we all know your so good at so many different things how can we not :wink:

I can't organize anything to save my ass, I suck at foreign languages and spelling, I struggle with structuring essays and summarizing things, I'm clumsy and uncoordinated and I REALLY suck at dancing despite 11 years of dance training (required as part of being a performing choir), I'm terrible with ALL things technological, I am completely incapable of presentation and proportioning things properly (a.k.a. my artwork). Oh and I suck at trying to build/fix stuff or make sculptures.

Nobody's perfect ;)

btw, sorry everybody for clogging up the thread! Got over-excited with an influx of ideas there.

Did you manage to catch what I said I said I was perfect to myself (and I am) different story being perfect for somebody else, sounds like a lot of effort and bother and costly to even if I where to bother making myself lovable to some one I'd probably end up with a women that would steal all my worldly asserts just one (inner city unit) and not ever to receive inheritance/having spent most of my life as trailer trash that would be quite dispiriting :P

Perhaps when these aspies get their issues in order and they will :) they'll come to the realisation their pretty perfect to themselves to (even the overweight ones) :wink: and the things that apparently matter do not to an autistic it don't :D though I think if I read correctly one of your aspirations is a inner city unit thats a good one you can buy the unit next door to mine and come round and borrow some sugar any time :wink: I've never been put in that situation I suspect I'm to scary and unlovable to have women do that .

I was going to say something to you in French to you but this is a "family freindly website" so I wont ,their I can teach you french, horray i'm useful to somebody :cheers:

egregory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I'm toying with some of my previous writing, looking for catchphrases, and establishing a consistent theme.

What if there was no right or wrong way of thinking? What if we tossed out the commonly accepted social design, with its arbitrary laws and etiquette, imaginary lines drawn in the sand, and countless divisive ideologies? Could we not start from scratch, constructing a society with room enough for everyone, a society that did not exist to herd humanity like mindless cattle, but to celebrate and accommodate our wonderful diversity?

Many of you reading this are doubtlessly humming the tune of John Lennon's "Imagine" and scoffing at my gumball sweet optimism. Well, I've been called much worse than an idealist, and as far as I'm concerned, you cynics can go smoke behind the bleachers with the cool kids. How many social revolutions began with the words, "I don't have a dream..."?

There are as many minds as there are individuals. No two human beings are exactly alike – that is the beauty of the human race. We are like snowflakes. People have a natural tendency to classify and categorize, but every snowball is nothing more or less than countless beautifully unique snowflakes, clumsily lumped together for strength and durability. When the snowball fight is over, the warmth of the sun returns all of us to our wonderful, original state of fluid diversity.

Some of us cannot be neatly be clumped in with the rest... yet we survive, and more importantly, we contribute.

I will not suggest that it is easy to be different - neither, however, will I suggest that it wrong to be. Homosexuality was once considered a mental disorder in our country and there are still many areas throughout the world in which it is, indeed, debilitating. Why? Because its practice is feared, misunderstood and punishable by law. Likewise, autism is often portrayed as a socially crippling disease. In a society tailored to meet the needs of the majority, autism is often very disabling... but is it wrong? Who is to say that unusual ideas and behavior are the result of organic inferiority or moral defiance? History has repeatedly taught us that, while the majority may rule, their ruling is not always just.

Besides, great minds do not think alike... they think differently.

BEAUTIFULLY written! I love the snowball example.

egregory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

I just wanted to point out that I am still working on a resource list of various companies and organizations that support autism. So, if anyone starts to work on that or is given that responsibility, let me know so we can work together! Thanks.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I can chop wood, carry water, and find solutions. I can work for sixteen hours, party for four more, then sleep for four hours and do it again for a few days running.

What are you on? I want some! :wink:

His on autistic :wink: I thought if their are no comorbid we don't get tired :D

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 9:11 pm

I don't need superior people rubbing their superiority in my face, sorry but that's what it's going to feel like.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

So I came up with some things we need to think about for planning

Finance

Prepare budget
How are we handling payment to vendors, speakers, etc?

***Budget will be dependent on location, once we pick a location Finance will be responsible for communicating with the other team to evaluate budget needs

Program

Brainstorm program and activity ideas
Contact speakers
Contact companies needed for activities
Prepare daily schedule of programs
Communicate with Technical about audio-visual needs of speakers, programs
Communicate with Accommodations about when meals will take place
Create back-up plan in case of emergency in which speakers are unable to attend

***The best thing to do at first is to come up with program ideas for all attendees. Remember we are going to have activities for autistic adults and kids, as well as family members, professionals, and HR employees

Accommodations

Set block reservations at hotel
Plan meals for participants, agree upon which meals will be included
Communicate with management about accommodating guests with autism

***We need to agree on a location, which may be decided upon by what hotels are willing to give the best discounts for us and guests.

Logistics

Transport for speakers, volunteers, etc to and from airport, around town, etc.
Come up with sight-seeing, night life, activities to do outside of the convention

***This is contingent upon a location, so once that is set this team can start

Technical

Plan audio-visual need
Plan paper products: printing of materials such as schedules, nametags, room signs, folders, presentation materials, signs, etc.

***We need to research a list of materials we will need and who can give us the best deal. Perhaps we can get a discount or sponsorship from a printing place? For now, we need a good list on printed materials that will be needed so that Finance can work it into the budget.

PR
Contact media, both local and national and keep them informed about event
Plan special seats and accommodations for media reps
TB is on top of this, any others who have contacts make sure to contact him. We are coming up with a uniform way to approach media in order to clearly portray our cause.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 11:58 pm

SC_2010 wrote:
So I came up with some things we need to think about for planning

Finance

Prepare budget
How are we handling payment to vendors, speakers, etc?

***Budget will be dependent on location, once we pick a location Finance will be responsible for communicating with the other team to evaluate budget needs

Program

Brainstorm program and activity ideas
Contact speakers
Contact companies needed for activities
Prepare daily schedule of programs
Communicate with Technical about audio-visual needs of speakers, programs
Communicate with Accommodations about when meals will take place
Create back-up plan in case of emergency in which speakers are unable to attend

***The best thing to do at first is to come up with program ideas for all attendees. Remember we are going to have activities for autistic adults and kids, as well as family members, professionals, and HR employees

Accommodations

Set block reservations at hotel
Plan meals for participants, agree upon which meals will be included
Communicate with management about accommodating guests with autism

***We need to agree on a location, which may be decided upon by what hotels are willing to give the best discounts for us and guests.

Logistics

Transport for speakers, volunteers, etc to and from airport, around town, etc.
Come up with sight-seeing, night life, activities to do outside of the convention

***This is contingent upon a location, so once that is set this team can start

Technical

Plan audio-visual need
Plan paper products: printing of materials such as schedules, nametags, room signs, folders, presentation materials, signs, etc.

***We need to research a list of materials we will need and who can give us the best deal. Perhaps we can get a discount or sponsorship from a printing place? For now, we need a good list on printed materials that will be needed so that Finance can work it into the budget.

PR
Contact media, both local and national and keep them informed about event
Plan special seats and accommodations for media reps
TB is on top of this, any others who have contacts make sure to contact him. We are coming up with a uniform way to approach media in order to clearly portray our cause.

This is wonderful! Just what we needed.

I need people to volunteer as team leaders for each of these departments and start team threads. Team leaders need to be dedicated, open minded, and good at working with people.

I already started a PR thread, but have been participating in Program as well.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 5:46 am

Tambourine-Man wrote:

Great minds do not think alike... they think differently.

I'm loving that as a catchphrase!

I would love to help out any way I can, I'm a DJ / VJ and audio engineer, so anything with audio / visual tech is my specialty. I can create visuals to play along with music (projected onto background behind performers, etc). I have experience with lighting and special effects (fog, lasers, etc.), I can do electrical and audio wiring, I can DJ and handle audio mixing / P.A. system related issues, etc. The only issue I'd have is the costs for transportation / lodging / meals, etc.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2011, 10:47 am

DJFester wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:

Great minds do not think alike... they think differently.

I'm loving that as a catchphrase!

I would love to help out any way I can, I'm a DJ / VJ and audio engineer, so anything with audio / visual tech is my specialty. I can create visuals to play along with music (projected onto background behind performers, etc). I have experience with lighting and special effects (fog, lasers, etc.), I can do electrical and audio wiring, I can DJ and handle audio mixing / P.A. system related issues, etc. The only issue I'd have is the costs for transportation / lodging / meals, etc.

This is awesome! I wouldn't expect that you would have to foot the bill since you are offering free services. Our hope is to have enough paid tickets and corporate sponsors so that we have money to get speakers, volunteers, etc accommodations.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm

alex wrote:
NZaspiegirl016 wrote:

You can always get one before the conference.

I went to the passport agency and got a passport in the mail in less than a week.

Well, it's not just that. It also depends on when it's being held. Because I got accepted into a science programme which goes from the 15th to the 20th of January next year. Plus, passports can cost quite a bit, and I don't know if my parents will allow me to get a passport at this moment of time.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

Am trying to design mascots and logos...
Now I have four or five logos done, later I'll post them on and you can share your ideas. Mascots I've been thinking about owls or aliens. Your idea?? :D

Ha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2011, 6:37 pm

Yea! Go, Alex.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:32 am

ok, here is a quick sketch of the Brainstorm idea:

I just kind of whipped this together in a few hours with inks and brushes. The paper is lousy, bled the ink a lot, but I didn't want to waste the good Bristol board on a sketch.

I think the idea was to screenprint a large poster eventually? Wwhich in turn could be scanned and printed en masse, and a couple drawn logos to scan and use for marketing handouts and web stuff.

Wasn't sure what to write in any of the text regions, since we don't seem to have a consensus yet, just a lot of waffling back and forth right now.

I used the simplest thing I could think of that's been mentioned for the subtitle. "Keep it simple, stupid" is a golden rule for poster design.

Sorry the camera isn't real great.

Ha

27 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Love it! Love it! Love it!

This wonderful art is storming my brain with these ideas:

How about a People's Mic celebrating echolalia to celebrate neurodiversity? Park setting? Tents for us 99% without hotel room bucks? Maybe Golden-Gate park recapturing the love-in vibe or yore? Or a more remote Burning Man of the Mind?