Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 16 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 29  Next

jennm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

I've hoped that something like this would come about for a while. I'd be in if it were closer. Maybe you could have two - one on East Coast and one on West Coast - like Comic Con :)
Come out to NY, please!!
This is fantastic and encouraging. It will help so many people.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm

And at the same time, we can use this as inspiration for forays into building local groups. And the local groups might go a while and then people might run out of energy and that's okay.

Two ideas:

We meet twice a month for conversation, learning things, social activities. This might be too much. Or, this might be not quite enough to get some traction going. It is an experiment. We see how it works, get the feedback, and go from there.

Second idea, we directly and politely approach human resource departments. 'Hey, you guys might be missing some opportunities. You might want to broaden the definition of what normal is and especially you might want to broaden the definition of what a good employee is.'

It's like the old political joke about the theme song to Alice's Restaurant.

If one person stands before the draft board and sings the song to Alice's Restaurant, they're nuts.

If two people do it, they're gay.

But if three people do it, Ah, now, we have a political movement.

Ha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2011, 2:58 pm

Human Resources folks may also want to to come so they can put out their radar to avoid potential ADA litigation which could arise over discriminating against neurodirverse workers on the workplace. A potentially good marketing opportunity for Aspies in the sensitivity-training seminar business to achieve a harmonious and litigation-free neurodiverse workplace.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

San Jose has a really nice Double Tree Hilton Hotel and Conference Center that is literally a block or two from the airport and has really lovely mountain views. I have attended conferences there and being so close to the airport really helped cut down travel stress. Plus, that airport is smaller and not so crowded, but still big enough to make it easy to get flights. There's a ballroom, and many, many seminar/presentation/conference rooms. It's not as glitz as Vega, but at most conferences there is so much going on people rarely leave the conference center, particularly if there is food onsite.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

idlewild wrote:
San Jose has a really nice Double Tree Hilton Hotel and Conference Center that is literally a block or two from the airport and has really lovely mountain views. I have attended conferences there and being so close to the airport really helped cut down travel stress. Plus, that airport is smaller and not so crowded, but still big enough to make it easy to get flights. There's a ballroom, and many, many seminar/presentation/conference rooms. It's not as glitz as Vega, but at most conferences there is so much going on people rarely leave the conference center, particularly if there is food onsite.

San Jose does have a lot to offer as a venue IMO, heart of the Silicon Valley (tech), 3 large airports in the area with San Fran being a very large air hub, as well as for a large city, the downtown area is very mellow compared to most. Lots of events hosted in San Jose, with the biggest being Fanime each year, and Zero One, and NVision as some of the other ones to mention.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 8:44 am

Okay, i like the DC Idea as a Location. It would mean a Lot, and I think its relatively central as far as the country goes , from an Airfare standpoint, is it not?

HI IM JIM!

Im a Martial Artist and Musician (Percussionist) that has Experience on the ground running live Events in various capacities...

I have Played music in all levels of venue

I have done Sound Reinforcement in all levels of venue

I have Been a Ring Announcer/M.C. for many Sporting Events/Boxing Matches/kickboxing events ( http://www.ustream.tv/bslive - Im the BIG Black guy with the Microphone)

I have also experience in Security at all levels

Im also used to being the On-Site Manager/Controller/Logistics guy at events. (AKA the "Arbiter Of The Cool" i do everything from settle Disputes to find trash bins to reappropriate resources as needed. Im like a one Man Crisis Thinktank in these scenarios, really - when everyone else freezes , i kick into Action!) Ive done this for Events with over a Million visitors.

So I can help in any of those ways IF I can get to the Venue. Im not great with $, unfortunately and I dont have much of it, and honestly , I cant really think of how my Lifetime worth of experience hitting things helps out in PREPERATION for the event, Unless you want me to help with like, security or AV logistics/rentals/ purchasing.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 8:48 am

Oh , and my Email is [email protected] And it goes to my Phone, so Im easy to reach , as Im pretty much online unless Im sleeping or travelling or showering... still waiting for my Waterproof Laptop!

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2011, 8:56 am

Before I forget this Idea I think we should Set up a YouTube Channel, and Flood it with the Videos of the Interactions at the Conference. I think that we should set up think tanks, and the Results of these and the Ideas therein should be Posted online, for Future people that have the same Issues to Reference , and for the simple purpose of demystification of Aspies and Auties. I think this is JUST as Important if not moreso for the smaller, low key Discourses/groups as for the big name mucketeymuck type speakers that we may rope in to talking to us about us.

Einsteinologist

07 Dec 2011, 1:11 am

Alex, you seriously just made my day.... thanks, now I won't sleep, ......lol jk. :)

This is brilliant, I'm there with bells on! ......and I'm a musician, so that's part of my interest. I love it, I love it, I love it, so excited, can't wait!! !! I don't even care how much it costs, school tuition can wait.

Kinda funny I spotted this post just now, I was thinking this very idea a few days ago, shortly after joining the site. I'm already loving the connectedness I'm finding, and it would be INCREDIBLE to mingle in person with likeminded (literally) individuals.

*thumbs up*

~E. :D

Einsteinologist

07 Dec 2011, 1:16 am

Djimbe wrote:
HI IM JIM!

Hi, Jim! Multitalent, COOL! Nice AS scores, too :)

I'm a pianist / singer .... need a drum kit REAL bad!

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

I don't see what the point of this is?

I can't help thinking it's overeducated overachieving autistics getting together high 5 ing one another and telling each other how wonderful they are ,thus sticking it to the losers of this world, well that's what it would feel like.

Good luck to them for being ovarian lottery winners I wont have a bar of it.

If your useless at everything I wouldn't bother attending (if you had 1/2 a brain) which I believe I do so theirs no way I would attend.

So what is the point of this event?

Einsteinologist

07 Dec 2011, 8:26 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
I can't help thinking it's overeducated overachieving autistics getting together high 5 ing one another and telling each other how wonderful they are ,thus sticking it to the losers of this world, well that's what it would feel like.
Good luck to them for being ovarian lottery winners I wont have a bar of it. If your useless at everything I wouldn't bother attending (if you had 1/2 a brain) which I believe I do so theirs no way I would attend. So what is the point of this event?

Uh, dude, you're taking it the wrong way. I think Alex is just promoting an event for people to meet, who share a uniqueness, and who could help educate the weird NT's out there. Not all autistics are overeducated and overachievers..
As intelligent as I'm told I am, I'm behind in school, and have a couple disabilities on top, as do so many other human beings!

It sounds like you're resentful, and have an imbalanced view. If you went, you may be pleasantly surprised, and would find quite a bit of 'normalcy' to the event. If you don't want to go, please don't rain on the parade of a novel idea. Do you have a better one.... seriously.

"Never ask 'why?'.... rather, 'why not?' "

~E.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2011, 8:42 pm

aussiebloke wrote:

Good luck to them for being ovarian lottery winners I wont have a bar of it.

If your useless at everything I wouldn't bother attending (if you had 1/2 a brain) which I believe I do so theirs no way I would attend.

So what is the point of this event?

Okay Eyore the point is that Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and the gang all want to get together in the Hundered Acre Wood !
No one is making you join them.

Djimbe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2011, 8:45 pm

Einsteinologist wrote:
Djimbe wrote:
HI IM JIM!

Hi, Jim! Multitalent, COOL! Nice AS scores, too :)

I'm a pianist / singer .... need a drum kit REAL bad!

~E.

I like this guy. He can stay.

And bang on the keyboard.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2011, 8:52 pm

Einsteinologist wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
Good luck to them for being ovarian lottery winners I wont have a bar of it. If your useless at everything I wouldn't bother attending (if you had 1/2 a brain) which I believe I do so theirs no way I would attend. So what is the point of this event?

Uh, dude, you're taking it the wrong way. I think Alex is just promoting an event for people to meet, who share a uniqueness, and who could help educate the weird NT's out there. Not all autistics are overeducated and overachievers..
As intelligent as I'm told I am, I'm behind in school, and have a couple disabilities on top, as do so many other human beings!

It sounds like you're resentful, and have an imbalanced view. If you went, you may be pleasantly surprised, and would find quite a bit of 'normalcy' to the event. If you don't want to go, please don't rain on the parade of a novel idea. Do you have a better one.... seriously.

~E.

I'm the resident kill joy, every site needs one right :wink:

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2011, 9:20 pm

The point is for people who have something in common (Aspergers/Autism) to get together. You don't have to go. Others will want to. Nothing wrong with that.