Page 16 of 20 [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 5:58 pm

Salt wrote:
As I was 12, people thought I was 16. Quite practical :D

Now I am 36. Last year I had to proof that I am 18. Ok, it was a dark and shabby place and my skin was bad at this time, but - nevertheless... It made my day :lol:

A women I work with is one week older but looks 10 years older than me. She smokes and raises three kids.

Weird that so many of us have similar experiences!

This reminds me of something my grandad wrote on my 14th birthday card. "You could pass for 16 but you don't look a day over 12".
And also when I was 15 I had people thinking I was older and younger in the same year. And the person who thought I was younger wouldn't believe me when I said I was 15.
That seemed kind of odd because how can I look older and younger at the same time.

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2010, 6:34 pm

Yeah have wondered about this before. I was being ID at 29 for pubs and liquor stores.(legal age 19 in canada) Stll look young at 47, lots of grey hair tho

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:48 pm

I'd actually say this - it seems to happen just as often with NT's as aspies.

I'm 30 - still look and vibe up like I could be in my early 20's. I know that there are both aspies and NT's my age who look every bit 40, I also know many NT's even pushing their mid 30's who look as youthful as I do. One thing I will note though, there may be a correlation with ADHD, I've seen some people with those kinds of traits age slower, and with a lot of the guys I know who are in their mid 30's and look 24 or 25 - they live in the fast lane in terms of extreme sports, social life (have a big name around town), having friends like this I have to admit that they're outliers in their own right almost as much as we are.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:29 pm

Temple Grandin doesn't look that old :lol:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:16 pm

sketches wrote:
alana wrote:
... Now they respond to me as if it's not that I look young, just stupid or something. When I was at the hospital last year the nurse was shocked to find out my age, she said "I thought you was just a baby", again with the baby...it's really starting to worry me so I am smoking alot more and will soon have some real wrinkles.

alana, please don't smoke more with attempts to look older. That's unhealthy and a bad and (if I dare say) stupid reason to smoke.

PlatedDrake, it's funny that you call your experience "odd," since a lot of people in this thread share very similar stories. Really. It's starting to convince me that people with Asperger's syndrome really have something in their genes/lifestyle that make us age so differently from normal people. Like, none of our experiences are odd.

Whoops, didnt read much of the previous replies ><

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One thing I will note though, there may be a correlation with ADHD, I've seen some people with those kinds of traits age slower, [...]

Oh yes; I as well have noticed quite a few people with ADHD that look/act youthful for their age. This includes both teens and adults. I do not have ADHD, so this is just an observation.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2010, 10:35 pm

I don't look younger, I look older. People at school think I'm 35. 8O

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2010, 3:39 am

I think my hair has a lot to do with it. I notice that when I wear it in a ponytail people tell me I look younger, and when I wear it down I look older. Also, I have seen girls who are younger than me and look older, but that's probably because all that chain smoking they're doing is already turning their skin to leather, and I don't smoke.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 11:38 am

I don't know why we look younger, but I'm 24, and people say I look 20-21 years old. In fact, I have a 22-year-old younger brother, and some tell he's my big brother, and I say, "No way! I'm the big bro!"

Also, my dad (who, by the way, will turn 50 this October) is always being mistaken as an elder brother of mine. (Which is preposterous, because I don't have a big bro--how I wished I had.)

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2011, 4:05 am

I don't think I look younger than my age & I'm 18. I've seen some peole on the spectrum who look older than their age, so it doesn't always apply.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2011, 4:06 am

I don't think I look younger than my age & I'm 18. I've seen some peole on the spectrum who look older than their age, so it doesn't always apply.

joseph1979
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2011, 4:51 am

Wow people never believe my age , but i always thought it was what i do and the way i dress ! !!

AQ Score: 39

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2011, 11:18 am

I actually look older than I am, people confuse me for being over 21 all the time. Hell, I almost got into a bar this way =D. Of course, being purposefully bald and having a goatee do make me look older than your average teen I guess. Also, I'm fine with looking older, with age comes a certain level of respectability in appearance, the look of the wise.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 12:24 pm

Maybe we just develop very slowly. In physical characteristics as well as social traits. We are behind the NT's in those respects. But I think technically and logically we are way ahead of the lot of them put together.

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2011, 3:55 am

I'm 25, and get asked what high school I go to a lot. D:

It's so strange, too -- the last time I bothered to check my height was just over a year ago, I think. I was 5 ft. 2.5 in.
I measured my height at a pumpkin patch right before Halloween just because, and it kept saying I was 5 ft. 4.5 in.
So, I checked at home, and thought to pay attention and check my height against my mother, who was always a tiny bit taller than me.
I'm taller than my mom now! I didn't think females kept growing at this age??

I can still get the bus at a discount fare, which is nice~~ :3

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

yes I am told frequently that I look younger, I occasionally get ID'd plus I get treated like I'm younger. I have often wondered why but I don't suppose it's such a bad thing.