Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 18 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 29  Next

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2011, 12:55 am

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Burnbridge wrote:
I've been lurking this thread regularly. I made a demo of the Brainstorm design logo but never received a definite enough response to it to go ahead with making a final official logo. If I get an approval on that, then it'd be something to tag onto solicitations from sponsors, etc.

But the questions linger. Who is organizing? Who has the final word? Should I PM alex about all that? I just don't want to commit 25 hours into designing something only to have the details need changing, or to find that it won't get used at all.

I would encourage you to pm Alex. I talked to him briefly about it on the phone the other day and he is still enthusiastic but I'm not sure he has the time to make it happen. If he wants to head up this whole thing he won't be sleeping or eating much for awhile. It will take A TON of time and energy. The only way it will work is if we have a very large and coordinated team of people... as in dozens and dozens.

If we can keep it smaller for the 1st year, to try things out and see what happens, then it might not be insanely crazy. It will still be a lot of work. If we try to go gung-ho for more than 1000 people, then it will be A LOT more planning.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 1:33 am

factotum: just a note that i removed your posts about the dating site for now, as i don't want to promote your site as affiliated until we have official support from alex on that. i can move the posts back into the thread if alex approves it. just for our members' safety and all that. thanks for your understanding.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 1:37 am

If I had the money, I'd be able to come. Just imagine....me being there in the flesh. 8)

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 10:54 am

ouinon wrote:
If the conference was held somewhere truly international, ie. a country which genuinely encourages diversity, supports difference, does not send its military all over the world killing people who disagree with its agenda/actively resist its hegemony ... I might come! :)
Are you suggesting Switzerland, then? ...
Switzerland is easy for you to suggest, since you live nearby, but will other participants go there?
ouinon wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica and http://wikitravel.org/en/Costa_Rica
( if alex really is "dreaming a little bigger" here than Autscape or Autreat ). ...

You don't need a visa to visit it, and I see that there are return flights from the USA to San José, its capital city, for a couple of hundred dollars ( 229$ on one site ). :) :D

To get there cheaply from Europe it looks as if would have to go via the USA
Oh, you are suggesting Costa Rica...
OK. I'm in.
Aren't there reasonably priced flights from Barcelona/Madrid to Costa Rica?
Shall we fly to Autworld together, from Barcelona/Madrid? (much nicer/simpler/shorter than flying via the USA).

http://www.autscape.org/

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Dec 2011, 2:37 pm

Can we please not turn this thread into a discussion of the location of the conference? I already said where it was going to be.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

Alex, that sounds like a great idea. If it's close enough (NY area) I hope to be there.
I hope subscribing to this thread will give enough updates. (Sorry, I haven't read this entire 20 page thread.)

Has anyone suggested a tour of major cities, rather than a single event?
Or even an on-going event on a cross-country train.
Autreat and Autscape could be incorporated as stops along the way.

Just in case you haven't noticed it, I started a map a couple of years ago.
I think it might give a clue as to where you might find people.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 765d465ec5

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I've done tons of fundraising. What can I do to help?

Frances

Please contact me if you want to help.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

Tahitiii wrote:
Has anyone suggested a tour of major cities, rather than a single event?
Or even an on-going event on a cross-country train.
Autreat and Autscape could be incorporated as stops along the way.
Autreat could easily be incorporated as a stop along the way, since it is in Pennsylvania.
How would we incorporate Autscape (in England), though?
Have our train go across the Atlantic?
(get an amphibian train, which doubles as a yellow submarine?).

http://www.autscape.org/

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Typo. I meant to say Autreat OR Autscape.

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2011, 10:57 am

My visa to USA was denied, and just applying for that visa is expensive in most countries.

ouinon wrote:
If the conference was held somewhere truly international, ie. a country which genuinely encourages diversity, supports difference, does not send its military all over the world killing people who disagree with its agenda/actively resist its hegemony ... I might come! :)

Good idea to make an "international" meeting in one of the most complicated countries to get into?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

The scope of this is huge. The idea is awesome.

Alex, you know you're herding cats now. ;)

I want to be involved. At least to attend.

-- Emerson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:00 am

it sounds interesting, especially if it is in vegas, a city i happen to like and would like to return to sometime soon. but i'm not so sure i could afford to travel there and i would feel uncomfortable away from my tin can for a week- maybe 3 days tops.

shibashaba
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2011, 5:11 am

If money becomes an issue, why not try and do a camping like thing at a park somewhere?

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 7:58 am

I think would be interesting to try and incorporate some mass survey into the event to catalogue our global thoughts and life experiences - maybe it could be linked to a university study of some kind and that could lead to some sponsorship possibilities (although I think it would be worthwhile regardless).

As a student in Australia it is extremely unlikely I could make it out to the U.S.. Though I'm sure that with Alex involved in addition to some online content (hopefully available slightly more long term than live due to time differences) there could be a youtube series or dvd of conference highlights (although I think I prefer thinking of this as a festival as it sounds like something involving more creative things and variety).

Whether I could attend or not I would like to be able to help in some way. I'm good at writing and can do a bit of graphic design and would like the idea of helping put together brochures and welcome packs or something like that. Networking and fundraising aren't my strong points though.

I hope the ideas for this keep coming and more people get involved.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

missmarigold
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2011, 12:21 pm

alex wrote:
Can we please not turn this thread into a discussion of the location of the conference? I already said where it was going to be.

how is it I read this whole thread and still don't know
when?
and
where?
and
what this event is called?

off to search for other threads on it.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:25 pm

missmarigold wrote:
alex wrote:

how is it I read this whole thread and still don't know
when?
and
where?
and
what this event is called?

off to search for other threads on it.

From my understanding where we are at the moment is

when? - at some point after we can arrange sufficient funding and people to coordinate the conference/festival
where? - "Las Vegas or Hollywood at a nice hotel" - made clear from post #1
what is this event called? - at this point it seems undecided, whilst a lot of discussion about this is going on it is likely in the end Alex's decision and is probably not the be-all-and-end-all point moving forward, names may also be partly dependent on things like domain name availability etc.

I think at this stage it is more of an idea than an actual tangible thing, we (i.e the wrong planet community) need enough people with complementary skills who are willing to give of themselves and work together to make this happen

If you have skills and want to help it seems the idea is to post here or maybe to PM Tambourine-Man (John Scott Holman) or Alex

ok, enough recapping - back to the discussion :)

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge