Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 18 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 28  Next

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:28 pm

I still don't understand why so many people with genius IQ's are here. I've only scored over a 100 once, online or offline, and that was on the test that autistics supposedly score better at.

If 1% of the population were autistic, and such a small percentile of the population a genius, you'd think an autistic genius here would be a rarity. But maybe I'm not understanding the numbers correctly.

Quote:
The late Richard Feynman was a genius and he only scored 125 on a standardized IQ test. I suspect it had something to do with the way he interpreted some of the questions.

ruveyn

I believe he took it in school and grew bored of it, so it is not a reliable score at all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:48 pm

Richard Feynman, a True Genius at physics only tested out with an IQ of 125.

Your definition of True Genius is flawed.

ruveyn

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:18 pm

Many IQ tests lean too heavily on either mathematics or verbal responses. Mensa's for example is a joke since most of it is verbal.. so people with either bad verbal skills or bad nerves (not necessarily having AS or anxiety issues) score much lower than they really should.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Mar 2011, 7:54 pm

Dantac wrote:
Mensa's for example is a joke
Small correction: Mensa is a joke.

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 9:19 pm

I think it should be requisite that, whenever someone talks about their IQ score, they include the name of the test they took. I say this because as a kid I scored a 145 on one of the Weschler's. That's in the 99.8 percentile, but it just doesn't sound that high. A score with the same percentile ranking on the Cattell test would have been a 172. Now that's something that would make a lot more people take notice. So, when someone says they scored a 160, but they don't include the name of the test, I'm always left wondering what that score means.

Sorry for the little rant; I've always been intrigued by IQs, but they're not something you can just go around your office asking about. An online forum is great place to see a bunch of them, and see how people feel about them. :-)

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2011, 9:30 pm

I tested in the borderline genius area when I was a kid (about 12-13) to get into the highly gifted program at my school. But, I'm not sure how accurate that was. And I don't remember the exact score - just that it was in the 150's. I'd like to get tested again and might do the MENSA testing, just because it'd be more accurate. But still, IQ isn't really an accurate measure of intelligence ever, so it's not a huge deal. I mean, I have a very high intelligence, but if I were to take an Emotional IQ test I'd be below average. Same with a Social IQ.

So, I guess it evens out in the end in a way!

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Dantac wrote:
Mensa's for example is a joke
Small correction: Mensa is a joke.

moo? :P 8)

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

To say that IQ and genius are utterly unrelated is misleading. I wonder, how many geniuses have tested IQs of 130 or over versus 70 or under? The truth, as so often is the case, lies in generalities.

I've had my IQ tested twice. At age 8 or so it was 149, age 17 or so, 147.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:11 pm

Poke wrote:
To say that IQ and genius are utterly unrelated is misleading. I wonder, how many geniuses have tested IQs of 130 or over versus 70 or under? The truth, as so often is the case, lies in generalities.

It depends on what you definition of genius is. Some argue being blessed with a gift is a manifestation of genius. It is possible to have a talent or a gift while the IQ hovers around 70 or less.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:15 pm

I know someone who is thriving at university (been there since the age of 13 or so), and had a tested IQ of like... 30ish. I really don't like IQ tests, or the ideas that they stand for.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:22 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Poke wrote:

It depends on what you definition of genius is. Some argue being blessed with a gift is a manifestation of genius. It is possible to have a talent or a gift while the IQ hovers around 70 or less.

It also depends on what your definition of "is" is.

:roll:

When someone says that general relativity was genius, no one argues. But because "genius" a rather vague concept, so we're free to change it up to suit our consciences when we feel the need.

And yes, it's possible to have a talent or gift with an IQ under 70. That wasn't my point. Read my post again. The truth is in the generality.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm

Poke wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Poke wrote:

It also depends on what your definition of "is" is.

:roll:

When someone says that general relativity was genius, no one argues. But because "genius" a rather vague concept, so we're free to change it up to suit our consciences when we feel the need.

And yes, it's possible to have a talent or gift with an IQ under 70. That wasn't my point. Read my post again. The truth is in the generality.

I disagree with the idea that IQ tests measure genius. It just measures the ability to complete an IQ test and maybe score high on it. That's all.
I've consistently scored high on these sorts of tests throughout my life. I am the first to admit they are meaningless. They have nothing to do with my reality. I scored so high on one going into kindergarten, educators missed the fact I needed a form of special education to succeed in my studies.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm

I tested at 150 last year. I don't see how the high IQ does much for me, honestly, so I'm not too impressed with myself.

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

I was tested as a child in or around 1988 and was placed in a gifted program. I am not sure of my score though. The last time I tested it was a 147 in high school.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Mar 2011, 11:21 pm

Well, since everyone else is posting them...
I was tested some time ago and I don't remember now if it was 148 or 152 - somewhere in there.
Umm, big woop. :roll:

eddie82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Well, since everyone else is posting them...
I was tested some time ago and I don't remember now if it was 148 or 152 - somewhere in there.
Umm, big woop. :roll:

Exactly, big woop. I might as well have an IQ of 70 because I can't earn a degree to save my life.