Bluntness and honesty vs. politeness and white lies

Page 3 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:29 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
You can be both polite and honest.

The problem is that NT society associates honesty with being rude. If you tell someone the truth with humbleness, that is being polite. If someone finds being truthful "rude" they basically embrace an insane concept.

Would your doctor be considered rude to tell you that you have a disease vs. that you're healthy because the lie is more pleasant?

NT society equates honesty with being rude because too much honesty gets in the way of smooth social interaction. NT society is all about social cohesiveness. If everybody was totally honest with each other at all times, society would fall apart. "White lies" are the glue that holds society together.

In the doctor example, it wouldn't be rude for the doctor to tell you that you have a disease because you have paid him to be honest. But there are limits on the doctor's honesty too. The doctor has been paid to tell you if you have a disease or not and what to do about it. The doctor may not tell you that he is bored with your disease because he is sick to death of people coming into his office with boring hypertension and he wishes somebody would come in with something challenging for him to diagnose, even if this is the absolute truth.

White lies make all relationships possible- parent/child, spousal, coworker, friendship, neighbor, absolute stranger you find yourself talking to while trapped in an elevator. Total honesty is called "brutal" honesty for a reason. It dioesn't need to be a verbal attack to be brutal. A gently worded, "I love you son, just not as much as I love your brother" is brutal even if not an attack.

Arkadash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2009, 4:33 pm

Jannisy: yes.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 4:41 pm

I am pretty honest with people to the point the consider it quite vulgre for example my friend will be yapping about his visit about going to Prague and I will just answer I don't care, I find it boring and I know for certain my face will say it all probably angry face becausse when people bore me I don't look bored usually look angry. I am not rude, just very honest one of my peeves is people irritating me through unstimulating conversations

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:12 pm

Arkadash wrote:
I take pride in my work.

You sat there and typed that you'd rather your students be confused about the information that you were teaching than question you, and you expect me to believe that you take pride in your work?

The level of disrespect that that shows for your students and your university just astounding. Do you really expect nobody to take offense to a professor saying that they don't mind students being confused about the material, so long as they don't bruise your ego??

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:48 pm

Arkadash wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
I sing, and I draw. I love doing both, and I will continue to do both for as long as I live, but I would like to know something: Am I good?

Why do you want to know that? Do you want to do them professionally?

I suppose that it would be useless to suggest that I might want to improve my abilities in the things I like doing?

Arkadash wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
Many of the people who tell me I'm good at either would do so because they think it would hurt my feelings if they thought I sucked and told me so. I have also had people tell me I suck at singing, but those are people who feel the need to insult me, whether jokingly or to try to injure me emotionally.

As a result, I don't know what I need to improve on in these areas. I don't know what I'm good at, what I'm not, etc

The people you ask--are they artists and musicians? If not, then they are not qualified to give you the kind of feedback you need. If they are, you should be paying them for that information, possibly as their student, because the skill that they have is developed over years of hard work, and doesn't come free.

Actually, my sisters all have been blessed with skill in the arts. One in singing, one in performance (including musical theatre), and one in visual mediums. Also, it's not too difficult to tell when a drawing doesn't look right, and the same thing with a person singing off-key. I have also gotten along very well with art teachers I have had, to the point that they would have difficulty being honest with me. As for me? Well, it is very difficulty for nearly anyone to tell whether or not they're singing off-key, so I wouldn't be able to easily determine that. I am also very critical of my own work, a bit of a perfectionist. I have been known to spend over an hour drawing and re-drawing a single arm in a position that doesn't even require much perspective work.

Arkadash wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
The only way to improve one's self is through honesty. If opinions of others are necessary to do so, then those opinions should be given honestly.

Nobody owes anyone an opinion, honest or not, unless the two have made some kind of arrangement.
[/quote]

Two things on this:

1. That is, in large part, what friendship is about. It is an arrangement of trust, and what is trust without honesty?

2. "I'd rather not give my opinion." It's that simple. If you give an opinion, do it honestly. If you don't want to give an honest opinion, don't do it at all. An unpleasant truth serves a much better purpose than a pretty lie.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2009, 5:48 pm

therapy is nothing but self proclaimed medication, working on the placebo effect and psycho symatic treatment, I personally think most therapists others than massagists and cardio and the hopspita ones are nothing but con artists especially spiritual ones

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 11:47 pm

Arkadash wrote:

Quote:
Greetings, all. I'm the NT who wrote the comment to Greentea & I thought I'd respond to a few things.

Xanovaria, all I know about Asia is what I've heard, especially from the hundred or so students I've had from there; I don't really know how saving face works there, but it's a term that's been adopted into English because we didn't have a term like that in English before (as far as I know), and as I understand it, it's exactly as Kajjie says: Criticism can hurt. So people try to sound less like they are criticising so as not to hurt others so much.

Coadunate, you write, "Calling someone an “as*hole” (unless they used the word first) to their face is just plain rude and antagonistic and has NOTHING to do with being honest or blunt. This is an argument of fallacious logic of exaggeration of non sequitur and made up story with attempt to change the subject by getting one bogged down in the use of a word. NTs do this a lot. Instead of teaching people to tell “white lies” maybe they should be thought how to endure honesty."

My use of the term "as*hole" was hypothetical: I said I would rather someone didn't call me that to my face. In fact, something like that has only happened once in fifteen years of teaching, and it was because of a misunderstanding, a miscommunication between me and one of my students.

So to you, I was exaggerating. In my case, in the circles where I learned to speak (i.e., my family and friends), "calling someone an as*hole" is understood as a salient metaphor for criticizing them strongly. When writing to Greentea, perhaps I should have allowed for the fact that she (or anyone else reading my message) wouldn't understand that it's an exaggeration. But none of us can imagine all the possible interpretations that listeners or readers might put on our speech or writing.

But since we're on the subject, I'll present an example of a real-world event in which a student (metaphorically) "called me an as*hole" in class--i.e., disrespected me / told me an inconvenient truth. Note that there are a lot of situations where Person A says something, feeling honest, and Person B hears it and feels disrespected.

An example is close at hand. You wrote: "This is an argument of fallacious logic of exaggeration of non sequitur and made up story with attempt to change the subject by getting one bogged down in the use of a word. NTs do this a lot. Instead of teaching people to tell “white lies” maybe they should be thought how to endure honesty." That felt disrespectful to me when I first read it. After I thought about it a while, it also felt true.

Now, the example of my class. One day a year and a half ago I started teaching at a new school. It was my first time teaching officially at a university. The subject was Business English. The place, a town 42 minutes by train outside Vienna, Austria. I got up at 4:30 AM to catch the 6:14 train. Started teaching at 8, a little nervous, a little tired, a little wired from the coffee I'd drunk. I had three classes to teach, which would take me to 12:50 PM.

At the beginning of my second class, I said something that was factually not true. Not being an expert in Marketing, I said something in which I implied that "market niche" and "market segment" were the same thing. My students were all studying Marketing. One of my students raised his hand and, with a superior smile on his face, explained to me that I was wrong, they're quite different. On an ordinary day, I would have said, "Ah, good, thanks for the information," but on that particular day, already fatigued and out of my element, I felt attacked and disrespected; I felt unwelcome there. I would have preferred for him to remain silent, even at the risk of some of the other students in the class getting mixed up over the terms--which they probably wouldn't have, because, as I said, they were becoming experts in that stuff anyway.

So as a result, he and his friends always acted bored in my class, as if they had better things to do, and since the others had seen me shamed, they were harder to teach, too. I eventually figured out a way that he and I could work effectively together, but that was always the least enjoyable of the three classes I taught there that semester.

On the bright side--and here's where your point comes in, that NTs should learn to handle honesty--the experience prodded me to find and read an introductory textbook in English on Marketing, so that I would understand better the material that my students were learning in their other classes.

For a while, I've been wondering what purpose is served by having autism in the human species. I don't approach it from the point of view of it being a genetic mistake, but from the point of view of diversity being strength, and the question of how might this neurobiology benefit the human species as a whole? It seems to me that some of you may be here to tell some of the rest of us truths we don't necessarily want to hear. The smoothness of the social fabric is good, as far as it goes, but it has its disadvantages; truth-telling is also good and has its disadvantages; they'll always be in creative tension. You want a historical antecedent? The prophet Isaiah. He was all about truth, and happy to rip to shreds a social fabric built on lies.

Recently there was another thread on this board with the title “Meaning of Life”. Richardce who started it was asking “what is your meaning of life?” My answer was “To look at what we were and have become and extrapolate from that to become what we will be.” As humans we come from a animalistic legacy where dominance hierarchies, bonding and predilection to and of the leader was and to a lesser extent still indoctrinated. This has been our past, it is not our future. Our future is the promotion and development of the ability to motivate ourselves by transparent and intelligent appreciation of consequence. On their way to this future place some will get lost and never reach their destination but I am certain most will. A case in point is when our forefathers proposed that the public be governed by individuals that they vote for and elect which was unheard of at the time. Many scholars at the time laughed at the idea of letting the rabble govern itself. They predicted that chaos and mayhem would ensue. Their effort proved that most people will act the way they are treated.

Arkadash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2009, 2:26 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
Arkadash wrote:
I take pride in my work.

You sat there and typed that you'd rather your students be confused about the information that you were teaching than question you, and you expect me to believe that you take pride in your work?

The level of disrespect that that shows for your students and your university just astounding. Do you really expect nobody to take offense to a professor saying that they don't mind students being confused about the material, so long as they don't bruise your ego??

Feel free to be astounded. Life is full of surprises. You have no idea about the level of respect I feel for my students or my university. To you, your superficial impression is most important. Honesty, too; in other words, your opinion.

In their other classes, my students learn all about the difference between a market segment and a market niche.

My job as an English teacher is to tell them the difference between "I live here since three years," a typical grammar mistake of German native speakers, and "I have lived here for three years."

My job as a Business English teacher is to tell them the difference between an appointment and a date, and also to learn the specific vocabulary of their industry as quickly as possible so that I can help them work with it. No-one is born knowing these things, and in my work doing in-company courses and, now, university courses, I've had to study up on a lot of different kinds of technical vocabulary: for the natural gas industry, the chemical industry (plastics and paint), automobile engines, the wood industry, heaters, tourism, streetcars, banking, an automobile club, etc.

The previous semester, a teacher got sick and asked me to sub for her for the whole semester. I had six days to learn all I could about the terminology of the real estate industry, especially in the UK, before going in there and providing the best service I could to the students. They were pretty good about understanding that I came to that point without a deep knowledge of those matters, but between their knowledge of the industry and my knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation, we did fine.

If all of us Business English teachers said, "No, I can't teach that class, I don't know the industry," there wouldn't be any Business English teachers.

If the university told me, "We will only hire you if you are completely patient all the time and in a good mood all the time," I would tell them, "You're not offering me enough money to do that." Because, the fact is, they don't pay me enough that I can devote myself entirely to teaching at their university. I have to teach other places too, so I'm often on some train or other racing across the city someplace, and I do proofreading work on the side to make ends meet, and when it comes right down to it, I feel like I run myself fairly ragged making most of my students happy most of the time. And the great majority of them appreciate that.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:40 am

This is such a tricky question? Should you be a phony?

Short answer: If a woman asks "Do you like my new dress?" or "Does my butt look big in this?" are you going to say "No you look stupid". Not if you know what is good for you.

I once read a great piece of advice. Before you say anything you should ask yourself three questions:
"Is it true?"
"Is it necessary?"
"Is it kind?"

A kindergarten girl shows you her drawing.
Are you going to say "It is rubbish"?

That may be true but it is neither necessary or kind.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:40 am

Janissy wrote:
NT society equates honesty with being rude because too much honesty gets in the way of smooth social interaction. NT society is all about social cohesiveness. If everybody was totally honest with each other at all times, society would fall apart. "White lies" are the glue that holds society together.

In the doctor example, it wouldn't be rude for the doctor to tell you that you have a disease because you have paid him to be honest. But there are limits on the doctor's honesty too. The doctor has been paid to tell you if you have a disease or not and what to do about it. The doctor may not tell you that he is bored with your disease because he is sick to death of people coming into his office with boring hypertension and he wishes somebody would come in with something challenging for him to diagnose, even if this is the absolute truth.

White lies make all relationships possible- parent/child, spousal, coworker, friendship, neighbor, absolute stranger you find yourself talking to while trapped in an elevator. Total honesty is called "brutal" honesty for a reason. It dioesn't need to be a verbal attack to be brutal. A gently worded, "I love you son, just not as much as I love your brother" is brutal even if not an attack.

I was so sure you were NT even before I checked your profile. You just gave the typical-neuro-typical speech in defense of phoniness.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:04 am

The dolphin instance is another example of a (highly unsolicited, in this case) verbal attack. Since you've decided to come back and say more things after you said you had nothing more to say, I'm still challenging you to provide an example of honesty without aggresivenss where lying would've been preferable.

And please don't quote South Americans. There's a reason I left that continent 30 years ago. South America is hell for an Aspie, what with it being the child of the Spanish Crown of the 16th century, the phoniest of the phony societies that ever existed. In fact, the famous product that South America exports, the Telenovela (of which I wrote a graduation paper at university for Sociology) is based on the principle that everyone suffers for nothing because everyone else hides the truth from them.

Arkadash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2009, 6:22 am

Greentea wrote:
Since you've decided to come back and say more things after you said you had nothing more to say

What I wrote was, "I have nothing more to add at this time." If you're too lazy or stupid to read the last three words, it's your problem.

Greentea wrote:
I'm still challenging you to provide an example of honesty without aggresivenss where lying would've been preferable.

For you, it's all about challenging, isn't it?

You challenge me to prove things to you, but your mind is closed.

You were very nice to me as long as we were emailing to each other, but as soon as you posted, on this thread, my comment which you said would be useful to autistic people, you began criticizing, not only my original comment, but every comment I've made since then.

Your first question to me, in our emails, was about why you suddenly lose all your NT friends. The answer is on this thread. You become friendly with someone, and then at a certain point you vent your spleen at them, the anger you have at the misunderstanding you've suffered from NTs in the past. I don't know why you need to play this game, but I'm not surprised that no one wants to play it with you. Therefore you have no friends. But I think you'd say that's not a problem, because honesty is the most important thing. No problem.

Greentea wrote:
And please don't quote South Americans. There's a reason I left that continent 30 years ago.

Your problems with South Americans are your issue, not mine.

As Pablo Neruda would say, "Eres una persona muy poco amable. Por eso nadie te quiere." I'm confident you'll appreciate my honesty in this post.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 6:59 am

Arkadash wrote:
Your first question to me, in our emails, was about why you suddenly lose all your NT friends.

No, I never asked you that. It was about how NTs see white lies. I'm sad you need to, again, lie.

Thanks anyway, for showing us all here how much more "polite" you are than Autistics. No Aspie ever expresses themselves here with the venom you did. My point's proven. Honesty and rudeness have nothing to do with one another.

Please address any further messages to me through the moderators.

Arkadash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2009, 7:04 am

Greentea wrote:
Thanks for showing us all here how much more "polite" you are than Autistics. No one ever expresses themselves here with the venom you just did. My point's proven. Honesty and rudeness have nothing to do with one another.

You asked me to be honest with you, and I was honest with you. Frankly, I'm surprised you see it as venom. This proves my point: what seems like honesty to some people seems like venom to others. No rudeness was or is intended. I'm giving you the kind of direct feedback you give to others.

Last edited by Arkadash on 16 Jun 2009, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 7:05 am

SteveeVader wrote:
therapy is nothing but self proclaimed medication, working on the placebo effect and psycho symatic treatment, I personally think most therapists others than massagists and cardio and the hopspita ones are nothing but con artists especially spiritual ones

Then you've never had a good therapist. Unfortunately, there's a lot of crap therapists out there; it's a talent like any profession and some people have it and many don't.

Can you get something from a therapist you could never get from a friend? Or a pastor? Or some other supportive person? No. But the thing about therapy is there are certain techniques which therapists in the past have tried, succeeded with, and learned from and have taught it to other therapists.

The important part is the human-to-human relationship, but the professional side of it-- the reason you PAY for the therapist-- is the techniques that therapist is also trained in.

My mother's a retired therapist. So, for instance, if I had a friend who was suicidal, would I want to be the one trying to handle this friend's threats of suicide or would I rather my mother (or another experienced therapist) handle the situation? I can tell you assuredly the latter, because 1) there is training that goes into appropriately working with someone who's suicidal, training which I don't have and can only guess at and potentially make the situation worse, and 2) she's dealt with suicide threats before and is well-practiced at handling them and keeping said person from harming him-/herself.

I'll say it again, there's a LOT of bad therapists out there, I won't disagree with that. And there really isn't much you can get from a therapist that you couldn't possibly receive from some other type of supportive relationship. But that doesn't negate some of the usefulness of therapy.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:24 am

Arkadash wrote:
Greentea wrote:
Since you've decided to come back and say more things after you said you had nothing more to say

What I wrote was, "I have nothing more to add at this time." If you're too lazy or stupid to read the last three words, it's your problem.

Greentea wrote:
I'm still challenging you to provide an example of honesty without aggresivenss where lying would've been preferable.

For you, it's all about challenging, isn't it?

You challenge me to prove things to you, but your mind is closed.

The PROBLEM is that you're not making any decent points, and then you're attacking anyone who attempts to point that out. No that you've seemingly noticed that you don't have a real argument, you're resorting to personal attacks!

For the record, I never said you should have known all about the topic you were teaching; only that you shouldn't have been rude to a student who pointed out the difference between the things you'd confused. And somehow when you don't have anything to say, personal attacks become OK?