Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 1:09 pm

I have to rotate the map so it's oriented the same way I am.

GPS is the Best. Thing. Ever.

I love my GPS and my GPS loves me. I can so relate to your post. And I absolutely love that it gives a "countdown" before the turn comes up. And I love even more that it recalculates when I screw up despite its fine directions. Because sometimes there are those roads that split 3 ways so you can go left or "hard left" or "left-ish but more center" and the GPS can't sort that out. I often choose the wrong one.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 2:25 pm

Justin227 wrote:
yeah, regarding the 'sexist' comment. Not at all is that sexist, I was just reading this psychology text book I have lying around and there are actual scienific studies that say men are better in general at mathmatics, spatial stuff, and directions.

Yeah, I looked it up on-line as well. It's actually quite common in both genders, but does affect women more than men.

Regards,

Patricia

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:35 pm

Hunting and gathering days --- woman didn't really need the directional/spatial skills; men died if they didn't have it - unless they were in a group of people and they were a follower

My ADHD heighten senses would have done just fine near the "camp" or "cave". My family may have starved to my horrible cooking skills but that's beside the point.
I wouldn't have needed the directional/spatial skills unless something happened and my family needed to hide in the cave. In that circumstance, I probably wouldn't be able to find my way out of the cave unless I had a child who was good at spatial/directional skills LOL .

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:40 pm

Janissy wrote:
He is baffled why I don't rotate the map in my head instead of having to physically rotate it.

Does he read novels and newspapers whatever arbitrary way round they happen to be lying on the table, or does he turn them round first?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 3:44 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
Janissy wrote:
He is baffled why I don't rotate the map in my head instead of having to physically rotate it.

Does he read novels and newspapers whatever arbitrary way round they happen to be lying on the table, or does he turn them round first?

Hah! I'll bring that up next time he says anything about my inability to mentally rotate a map.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 7:13 am

MattShizzle wrote:
I'm definitely not ADHD but I have no sense of direction whatsoever.

Same here. Fortunately, hubby is a walking GPS - you could throw him in the middle of the desert and he'd find his way out.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:54 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
I'm definitely not ADHD but I have no sense of direction whatsoever.

Same here. Fortunately, hubby is a walking GPS - you could throw him in the middle of the desert and he'd find his way out.

Yep, thank goodness for my husband and son. Before my GPS, I would frequently call my husband for directions. He started to answer the phone " .........'s personal GPS system." I was usually calling him for directions. He never understood how I could get lost just a few blocks down the road. Talk about anxiety

Oh another forum, someone brought up Developmental Coordination Disorder. I read about it and it sounds like me - at least some aspects. Perhaps there is some correlation in my case. I have no idea. I am constantly dropping things - I dropped my phone 10 times yesterday. I am consistently dropping other objects like spoons, pens, paper ... everyday. I am a mess LOL. I just laugh it off. Perhaps for me, it's all related. Writing is hell. I dread the escalator at times as I feel like I am going to fall. I avoided buying a house with stairs. I was in tap and jazz for ten years - figure that one out. I usually just followed the person in front of me. If that person wasn't there, I was a goner.
I was also the last one chosen for games - I hated games anyways so I wasn't in tears. I convinced my doctor to write the school a letter saying that due to health conditions, I was unable to go to PE - it all worked out.

marlinsgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2009, 5:21 pm

Maddino87 wrote:
gramirez wrote:
I'm the opposite - I have incredible sense of direction. My mom is horrible at direction, and she always takes me with her since I'm her "human GPS". :D

Same here. I know the nearby highways and streets like the back of my hand. But I don't follow names of roads: I just pay attention to area details (billboard, buildings, arrangement of signals, etc.). If I need to turn around, I'll recognize everything I passed before. My parents rely on me to guide them through the streets and navigate through shortcuts.

But if I need to follow directions, I just use Google maps, more importantly Street View, so I have an idea of what to see if I need to change roads.

I too have great sense of direction. I'm also called a GPS by my mom, who doesn't have a great direction sense. My dad also has a g good sense of direction.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:07 am

I love this thread.

It shows that there ARE differences between men and women.

Men are better at spacial relationships and mathematics.

Women are better at verbal communication and empathy.

Foreigner
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2012, 9:21 pm

[quote]

Hi, I'm new to WrongPlanet but I'm amazed at how many traits I have in common with the people on the site :D . I really thought I was the only one like this. I have also been lost 4 blocks from my house. It may have been closer but since I did not know where I was I'm not sure. I also have a 5 year old. He also tells me when I am going the wrong way. He tells me the correct direction to go. He gets it wrong sometimes but he is often correct. My husband gave me a GPS because I was always getting lost. In my first month in this area, I used twice the amount of petrol I should have trying to find my way home and this is a very easy area to find your way around in. :roll:

By the way, is there anyone who can help me with how to locate my previous posts? I posted on another discussion thread but cannot locate my posts amongst the hundreds of other posts. :roll:

Also, how do I copy a quote from another post to my posts so I can show what I am replying to?

One more question, when I tried to update my profile, my details came up incorrectly. How do I update my profile?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
I think it's probably one of those things that come in opposites. There are so many charactersitics of Aspergers which manifest themselves in extremes, with very few Aspies representing the middle ground:

You're either painfully neat or dreadfully messy.
You either hyperlexic or dyslexic.
You either make no eye contact or you stare at people too much.
You either talk too much or too little.
You either have no emotions or your emotions are extreme.
You're either a genius at mathematics or you cannot do sums at all.

And, within the same person you sometimes find:

Extremely logical thinking at times, with outbursts devoid of all logic at other times.
Dislike of strangers' touch and a desperate clingy need to be held by those you love.
A desire for complete quiet and visual simplicity at times, with a need for heavy textured loud music at other times.
An inability to concentrate even for five minutes, and an ability to concentrate for hours.

Wow. If that isn't the truth! Especially the last line. That describes me to a T.

I am so directionally challenged it is frightening, but my son is worse. His bus stop is at the end of the block and people still need to point him in the direction to our house. We both have ADD. He also has NVLD.