Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 11:22 pm

There are numerous reasons for autistics to look to the ground. these are the ones that fit me:

1. Not wanting to meet people's eyes
2. The tiles! There are patterns in them, I tell you! ...What do you mean you don't care?
3. Fear of slipping

I am seriously afraid of slipping and falling and dying, and I am paranoid that the ground is wet. I freeze up whenever I'm about to walk on ice.

I know, the pun burns, but that sounds like a personal problem to me.

eeyore19
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2009, 11:29 pm

Yeah, I do this. (And I've also been lucky enough to find $20 and $50 bills everyone else passes by!)

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2009, 12:37 am

When I was a kid I always looked at the ground. Once I walked right into some sort of metal pipe protruding from a building and hit my head on it. People used to tell me to look up so now I do for the most part.

Radioactive
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2009, 1:41 am

Now that I think about it, I seem to spend a fair bit of time looking downwards when I'm walking. Not all the time, but I'd say a little more than half.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 3:11 am

I have looked down for as long as I can remember. I just do it naturally, which some have interpreted to mean that I lack confidence. :roll: I still am aware of where I am, how far I have gone.

MrLoony: All those reasons are good. You should live here. We have ice or hard-stomped snow(as slippery as ice) about 5 months a year. More in the northern part. I fall every winter. Words cannot describe how much I hate having to go out and walk the slippery roads.

01 Jul 2009, 3:26 am

Yes.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 11:51 am

Yes, I've done this and still do it to this very day yet, I'm aware of it now more than when I was younger so, I do my best to look upwards and what's in front of me so, not to get into embarrassing scenario as such..

ed
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 12:04 pm

This is starting to look more and more like a general rule for aspies. I wish mikehart18 had made this a poll, but he didn't, so I will create one, referencing this topic.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 1:13 pm

Eire wrote:
Once I walked right into some sort of metal pipe protruding from a building and hit my head on it.

This is a good point...sometimes I'm paying so much attention to my feet, that I run into something near eye level :x

But then again, like I said, watching where I'm going isn't going to make me any less clumsy @_@

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 1:42 pm

I just returned from a walk where it was very noticeable I get distracted and off-balance when I look up.

While crossing the road, I got distracted when I saw a child with the most beautiful coloured hair and ended up dawdling in the middle, not noticing where I was.

Before I arrived home, I got distracted by something again and looked up from the ground to my right ... and ended up veering from a straight line into someone.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2009, 5:52 pm

...Yes .

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 9:28 am

I'll admit that often when I walk as previously in my way here to the library I'm at, yes I tended to look down but, that is cause at times I suppose part of me would rather look down than up who knows why I'm very quirky.. :?

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2009, 7:44 pm

I try to work on getting better at it... can't get rid of it completely. I usually do it the most when I'm outside having a smoke,, and get lost in a train of [analyzing] thoughts

Every morning, blow up a really big balloon. Then, with ear plugs over your ears, slowly let all the air out of the balloon, letting it make that high-pitched sound. Tell your neighbors its a science experiment if they complain.

mikehart18

02 Jul 2009, 8:36 pm

ed wrote:
This is starting to look more and more like a general rule for aspies. I wish mikehart18 had made this a poll, but he didn't, so I will create one, referencing this topic.
O ya, I shoulda done that. How do i make a poll?

ed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 8:05 am

mikehart18 wrote:
ed wrote:
O ya, I shoulda done that. How do i make a poll?

When you create a new topic, the mechanism for making it a poll is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the cool topic :)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2009, 8:14 am

Always did this, especially as a child.

I still did, well into adulthood. I used to pick up paperclips I'd find on the ground at campus, until I had a collection that amounted to several dozen not including those I gave away to other people or handed in with my assignments.

I don't do this quite as much now that I've gained a bit of weight and I feel self-conscious if I realise I am not standing up straight. As a birthday present one of my friends gave me a box of paperclips, I suspect partially as a disincentive to keep looking for them and picking them up off the ground.